The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nuba123
Yeah, that must be so scary - applying for a uni that might not even be in Britain anymore. Tbh I'm totally for independence so I'm glad I'll get to vote this time if the bill is passed. :O :biggrin: Yeah, Scotland is lovely (I might biased lol) in comparison to my experiences in England tbqh. :biggrin: The society is just way more tolerant as a whole which is why I love it and the far-right aren't as popular over here. :biggrin:
Tell me about it! I can't concentrate at school because of this. :frown: How are you finding school - do you find it hard to keep up - because I do! :frown:

I don't mind the fact it wouldn't be in Britain, just the uncertainty, to be honest :lol:
It's just a really nice looking country, also!

School has been okay for me so far, it's been a lot of work and I have to admit I have been slacking, but I need to start working hard soon, and then it should be fine? But I've been performing fine at the moment...
Original post by Nuba123
Yeah, that must be so scary - applying for a uni that might not even be in Britain anymore. Tbh I'm totally for independence so I'm glad I'll get to vote this time if the bill is passed. :O :biggrin: Yeah, Scotland is lovely (I might biased lol) in comparison to my experiences in England tbqh. :biggrin: The society is just way more tolerant as a whole which is why I love it and the far-right aren't as popular over here. :biggrin:
Tell me about it! I can't concentrate at school because of this. :frown: How are you finding school - do you find it hard to keep up - because I do! :frown:

Scotland is considering leaving the UK, not Britian. Britain is a geographic entity, while the UK is a legal one. It's like the UK leaving the EU, but they're still in Europe, geographically.

Possible consequences are that Scottish students could be considered international and forced to pay higher tuition fees for English/Welsh/Northern Irish universities and would be disadvantaged for jobs inside the UK. Currently, by law, UK firms must try and appoint UK/EU citizens to jobs for at least around 30 days, IIRC, before looking overseas.

Given the affairs, if Scotland leaves the UK, it would legally fit that law above. Pretty difficult referendum choice :frown:
Original post by Gogregg
I don't mind the fact it wouldn't be in Britain, just the uncertainty, to be honest :lol:
It's just a really nice looking country, also!

School has been okay for me so far, it's been a lot of work and I have to admit I have been slacking, but I need to start working hard soon, and then it should be fine? But I've been performing fine at the moment...

Yeahh me too, need to catch ASAP. :frown: And my performance is slacking tbh
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Scotland is considering leaving the UK, not Britian. Britain is a geographic entity, while the UK is a legal one. It's like the UK leaving the EU, but they're still in Europe, geographically.

Possible consequences are that Scottish students could be considered international and forced to pay higher tuition fees for English/Welsh/Northern Irish universities and would be disadvantaged for jobs inside the UK. Currently, by law, UK firms must try and appoint UK/EU citizens to jobs for at least around 30 days, IIRC, before looking overseas.

Given the affairs, if Scotland leaves the UK, it would legally fit that law above. Pretty difficult referendum choice :frown:

Yeah :frown:
I was nearly going to apply for East Anglia and Liverpool - glad I changed my mind. :/
anyone know if I can change my predicted grade after submission? cause i am not sure if my teachers submitted the right grade ot not....
Original post by betweenalaska
anyone know if I can change my predicted grade after submission? cause i am not sure if my teachers submitted the right grade ot not....

Your predicted grades will have been submitted by your school, you have no control over what they submit for you in that respect (obviously if you did everyone would just put A*A*A*).
I was wondering what everyone selected for their 5th choice (course&uni) ? I would quite enjoy doing pharmacy but I don't want to write another personal statement tbh :s-smilie: Is there any uni that accepts the medicine PS alone and does not interview often?
Original post by lidzi_
I was wondering what everyone selected for their 5th choice (course&uni) ? I would quite enjoy doing pharmacy but I don't want to write another personal statement tbh :s-smilie: Is there any uni that accepts the medicine PS alone and does not interview often?

Personally I didn't choose a 5th choice.
I don't think you generally have to write another PS, but I'm not certain?
Original post by Gogregg
Personally I didn't choose a 5th choice.
I don't think you generally have to write another PS, but I'm not certain?

Most unis that I've found to seriously consider med applicants request a supplementary PS, like UCL and Bath (as stated in their website) but that's as far as I know...
Original post by lidzi_
Most unis that I've found to seriously consider med applicants request a supplementary PS, like UCL and Bath (as stated in their website) but that's as far as I know...

In that case it would probably be best to do one :smile:
Original post by Gogregg
In that case it would probably be best to do one :smile:

Indeed. Although I'm still undecided about the course so might end up putting biochem or maybe biomed.
Original post by lidzi_
Indeed. Although I'm still undecided about the course so might end up putting biochem or maybe biomed.

I've heard BioMed don't mind medicine personal statements, but I'm not completely certain, and besides, you have plenty of time to decide :colondollar:
Original post by Gogregg
I've heard BioMed don't mind medicine personal statements, but I'm not completely certain, and besides, you have plenty of time to decide :colondollar:

I'm pretty sure most unis will gladly accept a medicine PS for BioMed. I'm just worried I won't get to do much with a BioMed degree in my country so Pharmacy seems like the better choice :tongue: And I don't think I would be able to afford Grad entry medicine hahah.
Original post by lidzi_
I'm pretty sure most unis will gladly accept a medicine PS for BioMed. I'm just worried I won't get to do much with a BioMed degree in my country so Pharmacy seems like the better choice :tongue: And I don't think I would be able to afford Grad entry medicine hahah.

Your most likely better leaving 4 medicine options and taking a gap year if you get no offers, if you get AAA then reapply to med if you dont then take all 5 options with a suited personal statement to somewhere and something else.
Its much better this way as you get more focus on the application, for me my 5th choice was a whim and I would never have gone there.
Original post by Nuba123
Omg no way! That is so freaking cool! I used to be able to use basic sign language because three of my cousins were deaf but since we moved away (and I don't see them much) all I can remember is the alphabet and how to say "my name is..." XD

I was part of medical society in my first year at college and our teacher taught us :smile:
Original post by Natalierm2707
Your most likely better leaving 4 medicine options and taking a gap year if you get no offers, if you get AAA then reapply to med if you dont then take all 5 options with a suited personal statement to somewhere and something else.
Its much better this way as you get more focus on the application, for me my 5th choice was a whim and I would never have gone there.

Agree, I applied for neuroscience as my 5th option and there's no point in that because I don't see myself actually doing it. :/
Original post by emma.sx
I was part of medical society in my first year at college and our teacher taught us :smile:

Again, so cool. :biggrin:
Original post by Nuba123
Agree, I applied for neuroscience as my 5th option and there's no point in that because I don't see myself actually doing it. :/

I applied for medical genetics, got the offer and tbh I felt a bit guilty, I knew even if I got AAB on results day and no medicine offers I wouldnt take that place, and I felt like I had possibly jeopardised someone else getting an offer from there.

If your set on med stick with just med. A gap year can be great and its better to think out your options properly (if med doesnt go to plan) rather than rushing into your fifth choice which often may harbour regret in later years.
I applied for medical genetics, got the offer and tbh I felt a bit guilty, I knew even if I got AAB on results day and no medicine offers I wouldnt take that place, and I felt like I had possibly jeopardised someone else getting an offer from there.

If your set on med stick with just med. A gap year can be great and its better to think out your options properly (if med doesnt go to plan) rather than rushing into your fifth choice which often may harbour regret in later years.

Woah, you've got me thinking should I withdraw my 5th option. I feel like I'm using it to feel better about myself and it also make me feel secure even though that doesn't make sense since I don't plan on doing it. ?

OH jeez

Though if you really didn't want to take a gap year you could always do the first year of your 5th choice and reapply to medicine, nothing says you have to do the full course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending