The Student Room Group

What proportion of Islamic scholars believe in death for apostates?

Like roughly what proportion of them actually believe that death is the penalty for apostates? I watched a documentary about ex Muslims recently and was surprised at the people who believed that the punishment should be death. Although some of the Quran states that the punishment is death, I found out that there's some disagreement as to what the punishment should be.
14 hours of tumbleweed. cant say im surprised.
Youll get a much different answer depending where you are and what proportion of citizens are muslim too.
Compare the answer here in the uk and Pakistan.
Even here it always amazes me to hear religious leaders talking about killing people.
Having said that i was brought up in a religion that , when I left, the vicar said sorry to see you go but if you change your mind come around for a chat and cup of tea. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ladbants
Like roughly what proportion of them actually believe that death is the penalty for apostates? I watched a documentary about ex Muslims recently and was surprised at the people who believed that the punishment should be death. Although some of the Quran states that the punishment is death, I found out that there's some disagreement as to what the punishment should be.
All of them.
Some will claim that it is not permitted but on close examination of their argument you will find that they actually mean not normally permitted. It is the same with slavery, sex slaves, wife beating, etc. What they actually mean is that it is not permitted except where Islamic law allows it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending