The Student Room Group

Is a gap year worth it?

Is a gap year worth it? If anyone here has taken a gap year could they tell me how they felt it went and if a gap year sometimes may be more beneficial if you are unsure what to do. Also, you're not one of the oldest in your year at uni are you when you re apply the year after? Thank you
The gap year forum has loads of people worried about the same thing! I took a gap year and in short: yes, it's so worth it. no, you won't even nearly be the oldest in your year.
Original post by Pn2020
Is a gap year worth it? If anyone here has taken a gap year could they tell me how they felt it went and if a gap year sometimes may be more beneficial if you are unsure what to do. Also, you're not one of the oldest in your year at uni are you when you re apply the year after? Thank you

Hello :smile:

I've never taken a gap year but had friends on my course that did. Some worked and saved up money, gaining experience in the long run. Some travelled and saw the world and gained life experiences and such - there are some universities that fund gap years because of the life experience and work experience in the long run.

They can be extremely beneficial and a great time! Always 'recharges your batteries' so to speak so you can return to university and feel ready for the years ahead!

And it can depend, all classes usually have a mixed age range!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
There will be a significant number of people on your course and in your university that will have taken gap years so don't worry about that. It's a fairly common thing. There will also be a number of mature students (aged 21+). it also really doesn't matter what age you are once you get to university.. everyone is an adult and that is the only thing people care about. You won't even know who is 18 or 21 (unless any maturity issues make it obvious...)

Gap years are worth it for many reasons: to gain employment experience, to take the chance to volunteer, study, travel, to save money for university, to allow yourself time to be certain of your university/course/career choice. If you are proactive and make the most of the time then a gap year will be extremely valuable. However, be careful not to just become complacent/lazy and waste the time because then you will struggle ot reenter the student mindset and adjust to the busy study/work/socializing schedule at uni.
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
there are some universities that fund gap years because of the life experience and work experience in the long run.

Really? Care to share which ones?
Original post by Duncan2012
Really? Care to share which ones?

From what I've heard - I've never came across one myself. When I was in Sixth Form we had some motivational speakers come in and do a 'futures talk' and they told us about universities that offer these experiences but can't remember which ones unfortunately!
Original post by Pn2020

I took a gap year, and it was definitely the best decision for me. My reason for taking a gap year was that I didn't feel ready to go to uni straight after college, for various reasons including depression and family issues at home.

I didn't do the usual gap year things like working or travelling, however I did manage to build up my confidence and independence in other ways, and also learned to drive, which was a bonus! In my experience, yes, a gap year was worth it :smile:
Reply 7
I redid a year at school, so sort of had a gap year. I think it was beneficial for me because by the time i got to uni I was motivated and knew more about myself and an idea of what career I wanted. It gave me more time to do work experience and I was more prepared for uni as I was independent.

Don't worry about how old you are, and whether you're the oldest or not, literally no one cares and it's not a big deal like it is at school/college - honestly!
Reply 8
Thank you all for the replies guys! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Leviathan1741
I took a gap year, and it was definitely the best decision for me. My reason for taking a gap year was that I didn't feel ready to go to uni straight after college, for various reasons including depression and family issues at home.

I didn't do the usual gap year things like working or travelling, however I did manage to build up my confidence and independence in other ways, and also learned to drive, which was a bonus! In my experience, yes, a gap year was worth it :smile:

:smile: are your friends at uni your age and you don't find it weird being a year older do you? I'm just worried incase in the only one that's 19 out of the friends I make when I start
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pn2020
:smile: are you're friends at uni your age or similar?

Yes, we're all around 18/19 :smile:
I'm on one right now (one month in)

If you don't have something planned, like going away, then the next thing you want to really do on a gap year is try to raise money for university. Either a full time job or a part time job. I suppose you also need to kind of delve yourself into new things if you're not going away because most of your friends will be gone.

Failing this (I partially fail - can't afford to go somewhere, but do have a part time job) set yourself a challenge for that year. Something you want to be better at. Personally, I aspire to improve on playing my instrument so that when I do go off to university, I can start getting into a lot of gigging. Your challenge can be different. I have goals and visions in mind of where I want to be by September next year.

If you don't plan on doing any of the above, or don't think you'll have the motivation to organize any of the above, I would highly recommend not taking a gap year. It will get very boring.

EDIT: With regard to being unsure. Yes a gap year can help. I'm still unsure but have that extra year to figure things out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Leviathan1741
Yes, we're all around 18/19 :smile:

Yeah, I was 19 when I started, and so were many of my coursemates
Original post by sj10
Yeah, I was 19 when I started, and so were many of my coursemates

Same with me :smile:
Reply 14
I'm taking one now after uni. Recommend it, but glad I waited until my degree was over as I feel that I'm a lot more prepared to handle what the year can bring.
Perception of value is entirely subjective and context-specific.
What a levels do you get. I’m also struggling with depression and I was wondering if you had any advice.
Original post by Haidarnad
What a levels do you get. I’m also struggling with depression and I was wondering if you had any advice.

I’m struggling with it as well, if you have any advice it’s very very much needed :smile:

Quick Reply