The Student Room Group

I need someone to talk to, I broke up with my gf....

It's a really long and complicated story. But long story short, I've broken up with my gf of 2 years. I'm really hurting. She was my first gf so I was very attached to her. To make matters worse she's moved on with someone else already. I honestly feel like crap. I still can't let go :frown:

How do I let go and just move on? I don't care if I get called a wimp, but I really loved her and my heart is truly broken. I want her back and i would probably still take her back now. But I know it's pathetic, so how can I properly move on without missing her all the time and obsessing over her?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Since I discovered she has a new guy so quick, I have started seeing other girls too but it doesn't seem to help, I still miss her. Deep down I know I'd rather be with her rather than spending my time with other girls. It feels so empty.
if she's already moved on that just shows she doesn't deserve you and your love. Right. You can cry and hurt and obsess all you want but you have to seem strong and unaffected by her behaviour. Show her that you value yourself and don't need a *****y girl like her. She may have broken up with you but you can still get out of this with your head held high!

I know it's bloody hard and the hurt and obsessing takes ages to pass...but it does and eventually the pain leaves and you no longer even open their stupid snapchat story.

In terms of letting go...reinventing and focusing on yourself helps cos it raises your own self-esteem. go to the gym and work on ur body, get some new clothes or even buy a sexy perfume...do something for yourself to make u a happier person.

Trust me you're worth so much more than some girl who went off with some douche. xx
Reply 3
Original post by HopefullyOneDay
if she's already moved on that just shows she doesn't deserve you and your love. Right. You can cry and hurt and obsess all you want but you have to seem strong and unaffected by her behaviour. Show her that you value yourself and don't need a *****y girl like her. She may have broken up with you but you can still get out of this with your head held high!

I know it's bloody hard and the hurt and obsessing takes ages to pass...but it does and eventually the pain leaves and you no longer even open their stupid snapchat story.

In terms of letting go...reinventing and focusing on yourself helps cos it raises your own self-esteem. go to the gym and work on ur body, get some new clothes or even buy a sexy perfume...do something for yourself to make u a happier person.

Trust me you're worth so much more than some girl who went off with some douche. xx

Yep I suppose self improvement is the way forward. Her leaving was bad enough but when I discovered she had already moved on with somebody else , my heart sunk. I'm still in total shock, maybe I was blinded, but I didn't expect that from her.

I've had flings before, but got over the girls quick.I guess my obsession with her is what scares me the most. I never knew I was capable of being this obsessive. But I think its more to do with her being my first ever serious relationship, damn you first love.
Original post by Anonymous
Yep I suppose self improvement is the way forward. Her leaving was bad enough but when I discovered she had already moved on with somebody else , my heart sunk. I'm still in total shock, maybe I was blinded, but I didn't expect that from her.

I've had flings before, but got over the girls quick.I guess my obsession with her is what scares me the most. I never knew I was capable of being this obsessive. But I think its more to do with her being my first ever serious relationship, damn you first love.

Yeah basically focus on yourself to stop focusing on her. And at least you've got ur first love ticked off...now you can look for the real deal :wink:
Reply 5
For some reason Girls like to move on quickly, this is because they're scared of being alone, which is why they're the weaker of the sexes.
Original post by Scott.
For some reason Girls like to move on quickly, this is because they're scared of being alone, which is why they're the weaker of the sexes.

It kinda goes both ways mate, men rebound too.
Reply 7
Original post by 0to100
it kinda goes both ways mate, men rebound too.

we do not rebound we get depressed for the minimum of one year, all because women are evil :angry:
Original post by Scott.
we do not rebound we get depressed for the minimum of one year, all because women are evil :angry:

:creep:

and eh Idk probably right about the depressed part lol though I stand by men and women rebound

Spot on advice which is to work on yourself. In a few years time they would feel like so silly that they kept obsessing over her. But its SO understandable that this hurts and someone moves on so quickly. Just shows the girl had no heart.
Yeah basically focus on yourself to stop focusing on her. And at least you've got ur first love ticked off...now you can look for the real deal :wink:

that's a very positive way at looking at things. It took me ages to get a serious gf, so it's nice to have had it ticked off. I suppose I've also got getting my heartbroken by a girl for the first time ticked off too now.

Original post by Scott.

Well I do feel it was because she's afraid to be alone. Everything just got so complicated,stressful and intense between us. The guy is definitely a rebound and from what I've heard it sounds more like a whirlwind romance that will fizzle out.
Some days I'm fine.And usually I try to keep myself distracted throughout the day by keeping my mind focused on other things,working overtime etc. then I make the dumb mistake of checking my Whatsapp at 10pm, and see she's online and get a strong temptation to send her a message. I'm also wondering she must be talking to him like she'd usually talk to me at this time. Or when she's offline I just think about her getting nailed. Feels bad man.

We have blocked each other on whatsapp but I still had her added on my old phone. But yesterday I blocked her there too, so slowly making progress. So it is getting better. But damn it's so slow.
Original post by queenofswords
If you want to obsess over her, go ahead! :smile:

The places you went with her, her hobbies and interest, the songs, books and films she liked, the clothes she would wear, the smell on her skin, softness of her touch, colour of her eyes, sound of her voice, her beliefs, fears and aspirations, the history- remember it all.
Hold onto every detail, write about it, think about it, dream about it.

You might never move on, but why should you have to? This is what society expects from you.

Doesn't matter who else you date, fu*k, marry or have children with. She was your first love and you should not forget her.

Embrace the misery, let it beautify you. Soon you will find comfort in it. :smile:

Lol that legit sounds like something she'd say.
Reply 13
It's a really long and complicated story. But long story short, I've broken up with my gf of 2 years. I'm really hurting. She was my first gf so I was very attached to her. To make matters worse she's moved on with someone else already. I honestly feel like crap. I still can't let go :frown:

How do I let go and just move on? I don't care if I get called a wimp, but I really loved her and my heart is truly broken. I want her back and i would probably still take her back now. But I know it's pathetic, so how can I properly move on without missing her all the time and obsessing over her?

I'm gonna try give you a female perspective.

My ex dumped me 2 months ago and I too was his first love. I am already moving on with someone and he isn't. I chose to because I can't sit and dwell on him leaving and being upset. She has to move on and forget and she's looking for distraction.

You could tell her how you feel and see her reaction or work on yourself and focus on you and how to make you happy opposed to finding happiness in other people
Original post by asmramy
I'm gonna try give you a female perspective.

My ex dumped me 2 months ago and I too was his first love. I am already moving on with someone and he isn't. I chose to because I can't sit and dwell on him leaving and being upset. She has to move on and forget and she's looking for distraction.

You could tell her how you feel and see her reaction or work on yourself and focus on you and how to make you happy opposed to finding happiness in other people

Women are heartless damn. I did tell her how I feel but that was before I knew that she had already moved on with somebody else. All she said was that she doesn't think she'll ever love anyone as much as she loved me, but it was time to move on. Like I said we had a very full on intense relationship and it all just got toomuch for her.
Reply 15
Women are heartless damn. I did tell her how I feel but that was before I knew that she had already moved on with somebody else. All she said was that she doesn't think she'll ever love anyone as much as she loved me, but it was time to move on. Like I said we had a very full on intense relationship and it all just got toomuch for her.

Believe it or not it's how us girls deal with heartbreak haha. She's looking to focus her attention elsewhere so she isn't thinking of you 24/7 and your memories because believe it or not it'll be hurting her as much as it hurts you.
Try to withdraw contact hunny, it is easier that way to focus on you, you owe it to yourself to not let this breakup destroy you. Best of luck, you're gonna be okay
Original post by asmramy
Believe it or not it's how us girls deal with heartbreak haha. She's looking to focus her attention elsewhere so she isn't thinking of you 24/7 and your memories because believe it or not it'll be hurting her as much as it hurts you.
Try to withdraw contact hunny, it is easier that way to focus on you, you owe it to yourself to not let this breakup destroy you. Best of luck, you're gonna be okay

Thanks for the kind words. Just out of interest the guy you're moving on with, do you feel it's more of a rebound thing?
Reply 17
Thanks for the kind words. Just out of interest the guy you're moving on with, do you feel it's more of a rebound thing?

Feel free to message me if you need anyone :biggrin:
Not so much a rebound, just some company, I can't sit waiting for him forever but I can't really use anyone. Me and my ex are complicated
This is too damn hard I just want to message her.

I'm raging imagining my baby being with someone else.
Original post by asmramy

Are you sure she's hurting? Cos she seems to be having fun without me :frown:

Quick Reply