The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nuba123
Ah, thanks. Will probably leave buying that then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was useful ngl, but most of what you need is all on scholar
Original post by Hamza_33
Thought id join the party, i hope im not too late, cant believe its already october. i was building up to this time thinking ill have so much free time to get on with projects , but it appears its going in vane.

ikr. Bit worried about projects too as people seem to get low marks compared to previous years!
Original post by Jeff458(#17)
ikr. Bit worried about projects too as people seem to get low marks compared to previous years!

Again LMAO

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how to define the term:

'Weighing Accurately Approximately'???
Also what does this mean from the SQA:

"The choice of filtering medium depends on the quantity and nature of the precipitate."

Slightly confused as to what the filtering medium is?
Original post by Jeffrey458(#20)
Also what does this mean from the SQA:

"The choice of filtering medium depends on the quantity and nature of the precipitate."

Slightly confused as to what the filtering medium is?

Basically what you use to filter and how you do it I reckon. What size filter paper would you use? Will you simply pour the solution over the paper and let it drip into a flask or will you use vacuum filtration/ a buchner funnel to collect the precipitate?

Original post by Jeffrey458(#20)
Does anyone know how to define the term:

'Weighing Accurately Approximately'???

Means using techniques like weighing by difference and using an accurate scale to x amount of decimal places so you know approximately yet accurately how much of a substance you have weighed out.
Hey all, I recently purchased the bright red study guide for AH chemistry and have been trying to access the digital zone for online tests and stuff - I have no idea how to do this. Does anyone know?
It's all good I figured it out lmao :biggrin:
Original post by Nuba123
It's all good I figured it out lmao :biggrin:

I tried for physics and couldn't find it. Would you mind telling me how ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
I tried for physics and couldn't find it. Would you mind telling me how ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

BrightRedPublishing.net
BrightRed Digital zone (icon in right hand corner of screen)
Curriculum for Excellence Higher
Left hand side there is a list of subjects at the very bottom it says Advanced Physics
p.s. you need to log in to access it but it's completely free
Original post by Nuba123
BrightRedPublishing.net
BrightRed Digital zone (icon in right hand corner of screen)
Curriculum for Excellence Higher
Left hand side there is a list of subjects at the very bottom it says Advanced Physics
p.s. you need to log in to access it but it's completely free

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Just started doing my Chemistry Investigation and I was wondering if anyone else here was doing the Amino Acids in Hair ID one, in case there were some really good ideas. We only have two examples and they are from 2005 and 2003 so not really very current. Was just curious if anyone else had some good ideas. Thanks in advance.
Anyone finished unit 1? What topic are you studying right now?
We finished unit 3 and are going through unit 1. Most recently learnt about spin and stuff etc.

Also doing projects at the same time now.

Have you finished it already? How did you find it? I find the calculations quite challenging this year but I am improving on the practical skills and techniques theory so that's a positive I guess :smile:!
Original post by Jeff458(#18)
We finished unit 3 and are going through unit 1. Most recently learnt about spin and stuff etc.

Also doing projects at the same time now.

Have you finished it already? How did you find it? I find the calculations quite challenging this year but I am improving on the practical skills and techniques theory so that's a positive I guess :smile:!

No, currently doing Kinetics in unit 1 but we've only got a few topics left to do. Our prelim is going to be based on unit 1 only so I'm assuming unit 2 will be after January. We've already started our projects and will have completed it all before Christmas I think.
Unit 1 is difficult for me because I only have a chem/bio background, the physical stuff is really hard for me. But I'm looking forwards to organic chemistry as that's always been my strongest unit. I am glad we started with the tougher stuff because it gives me time to get used to it. The chemistry project is freaking me out though. So many calculations :frown:
Original post by Nuba123
No, currently doing Kinetics in unit 1 but we've only got a few topics left to do. Our prelim is going to be based on unit 1 only so I'm assuming unit 2 will be after January. We've already started our projects and will have completed it all before Christmas I think.
Unit 1 is difficult for me because I only have a chem/bio background, the physical stuff is really hard for me. But I'm looking forwards to organic chemistry as that's always been my strongest unit. I am glad we started with the tougher stuff because it gives me time to get used to it. The chemistry project is freaking me out though. So many calculations :frown:

Wouldn't worry too much about the projects, remember, our teachers check them this year!
I like the physics part of chemistry (photons etc etc etc) because I LOVED Physics last year, I also LOVEEEE the organic Chemistry and structures and all so hopefully it will be ok. For me it is calculations this year that r screwing me :frown:
Reply 97
I'm in the same boat. I don't have a clue what to do in the calculations part but four others don't seem to either so it isn't too bad. Has anyone else been given any deadlines for completing parts of their assignment? In Biology we have been getting our introduction and pilot study done but so far Chemistry has not bothered with the assingnments in detail.
Original post by Jeff458(#18)
Wouldn't worry too much about the projects, remember, our teachers check them this year!
I like the physics part of chemistry (photons etc etc etc) because I LOVED Physics last year, I also LOVEEEE the organic Chemistry and structures and all so hopefully it will be ok. For me it is calculations this year that r screwing me :frown:

The teachers check them? What do you mean? And yeah I love organic chemistry as well.
Original post by Nuba123
The teachers check them? What do you mean? And yeah I love organic chemistry as well.

Yeah, as in you hand them in a draft this year and they give us feedback on them.We act on feedback, edit an then send it to the SQA.

Our draft for Biology is pre-lim time but not told for Chemistry yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending