The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9540
Original post by swirly
Did you get to the episode in Greys when the hospital goes on shut down?

Absolute mad scenes like when Jimmy loses it at Tree Hill.

Thoughts on teapigs?
Original post by SA-1
Thoughts on teapigs?

Looks well cute. Mad how you can get tea to match your mood. You should get Popcorn, Spiced Winter Red and Super Fruit cuz you're always so grumpy xxx.
The Obama's are phenomenal public speakers.
Tbh I am going to accept defeat in the graduate job hunt, I am going to be ****ing around trying to get a decent wage for years and wasting my time.

I have accumulated £10k, and I live at home. I am going to put all of my hope into personal ventures. I am virtually unemployable in this market so **** them. I sink or swim my way. My goal is to get to £20k now and then continue gaining.

I am full of bitterness tbh, the financial success is what I want the most by far. I am not catching a break through the graduate job market so I have to fight harder independently to get to where I want.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
The Obama's are phenomenal public speakers.
2004 DNC speech was brilliant. You can see the foundation of the message that took him to the White House. His speech craft is quite simple but is exactly what Americans respond well to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looking at the statistics below, it baffles me how people are so poor when they can easily get jobs compared to me and I am many times wealthier than they are (off my own work). Makes you realise that in this country it pays to be stupid, I think the UK clearly has an anti-intellectual stance on people like many of us here. Never have I heard the term "overqualified" more than in the UK. I was told I was overqualified to work in an admin job LOL. Like *****, I just want to go in and do a job and earn an honest living.

Then you get the whole "not enough experience for this role" rubbish that me and SR90 get. I don't know about him but I saved near a million for my company and I was going for a role that I clearly had the experience for as per the job description. They progressed my CV which is detailed enough for them to form a reasoned opinion without me wasting my money on train tickets to go to a pointless interview. Why could they just not reject me pre-interview if they thought I didn't have enough experience? Fwiw, in my previous job I exceeded my saving targets like 100x over and I still got fired... It shows you that the whole "experience"/performance charade is just b.s. when they kept on the idiot nephew of one of the senior managers that could not even tie his own shoelaces.

Then I log onto LinkedIn and I see a guy that got a 2.2 having a graduate job there with inferior experience , in the same role. Truth is, you get rampant nepotism (family members etc) in FTSE100/250 firms and people assume that the UK is a meritocracy but it has many many little empires which people create for themselves.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-3813659/16-million-people-working-age-100-savings-study-shows.html

Percentages of working age people who have less than £100 in savings across the UK:
- Northern Ireland, 56.8%
- West Midlands, 55.2%
- Yorkshire and the Humber, 50.9%
- North East, 50.7%
- Wales, 50.1%
- Scotland, 48.4%
- East Midlands, 47.9%
- North West, 47.4%
- London, 42.3%
- South West, 37.4%
- East of England, 36.3%
- South East, 30.1%
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by James.Carnell
Tbh I am going to accept defeat in the graduate job hunt, I am going to be ****ing around trying to get a decent wage for years and wasting my time.

I have accumulated £10k, and I live at home. I am going to put all of my hope into personal ventures. I am virtually unemployable in this market so **** them. I sink or swim my way. My goal is to get to £20k now and then continue gaining.

I am full of bitterness tbh, the financial success is what I want the most by far. I am not catching a break through the graduate job market so I have to fight harder independently to get to where I want.

good luck!

Same moment happened to me.. job that I was so suited for, the guy really liked me, everything was perfect. Ended up rejecting me at the last minute to take on some much older guy who had a ton of (un-related) experiance. So pissed off, as the job was specifically working in a much younger market then this man would be able to cope with. It was the tipping point that pushed me into saying '**** it. lets go to china' and just trying something else. Swore I would never do another bloody stupid job application process.

6 months later the older man had under performed so badly that the whole department was restructured..

So yeah. Good on you - The job market is awful in the UK at the moment, and I 100% think that people like yourself who are clearly talented, but dont fit what ever mould society wants for our job process, are much better going off and making something of your own.
In acorns business news.. we have just had a huge breakthrough.

Our core education business is going very strong, but we have been focusing heavily this year on expanding into travel. The Chinese travel industry is a minefield, but its so lucrative if you can get a footing into it. Problem for us has been that we are pushing a different aproach to travel, specifically focusing on high-end student travel. Bassically there are a million companies pushing the same type of offer: 20-30 students, travel by coach.. visit a few universities, museums, cities etc. go home.

We are instead offering only 5-10 students, a vastly different array of activities that focuses on actually getting into English culture, rather then just watching it from the tourist attractions. Local events that only happen at certain times, that bigger companies cant afford to structure around.. smaller family experiences that they cant manage, and a much more personalized trip plan.

The issue has been in trying to persuade parents that there is value in this type of trip. If they are part of the new chinese-rich class then they are never doing a trip at all, as money is no issue, and they will just fly around to where ever, whenever they want, and pay for the best. So we are targetting the aspiring rich.. the huge and growing chinese middle class, who all want their kids to oneday be rich, and see western education/knowledge as a way into that world. Its the same market our core business works with, so we have a nice cross-over going on.

For a lot of them though, they are only interested in the facts/reputation/bragging rights. In china it is very much about the outcome, rather then the experiance.. its why when you see things like soap marketted in england they say 'ohhh... this soap with its luxurous silky feel and aromatic fragrance'.. but in china they are just like 'this soap kills everything better then every other soap'. Its more the factual outcome, rather then the experiance. So for them they want to have their kid go to england.. what happens in england is less important then just having their kid go, and being able to tick off that 'Im a good chinese parent' box.

Trying to explain to them how a smaller more intimate trip will allow their kids to learn and intergreate better into another culture/langauge.. just falls on deaf ears. To them, you are more expensive, with less of a reputation, going to the same place, and talking some bollox about experiance, whereas the other company is just giving them a straight up list of exactly whats going to happen.

--

No point trying to compete with the big companies though, they can out-price, out-market and destroy small buisness like ours any day of the week.. so pushing for something new, even if its not something the customers are demanding, is the only way.

--

Anyway, after a year of working on this part of our business.. we have finally broken through. We have our first trip happening this christmas. 2 weeks in england with english families for the holidays, 6 students.. a really tidy amount of profit. But most of all, getting the first trip (like getting our first clients in our core buisness) is always the hardest.. as long as we dont **** it up, then we actually have a reputation and a previous trip we can use to market ourselves and our next trip.

So yeah.. pretty happy! Going to be paid nicely to visit my family in england this christmas!
****ing hell talk about tl;dr
Reply 9549
Think we should have a designated thread where Acorns can talk about his life.
Original post by Rk2k14

but but but.. difeo repped me :frown:
Original post by sr90
Can tell what that is just by the link :lol: Still not as bad as this for me

You must admit it's catchy. It's a real toe tapper.

"Gooners and we're gannin, the Arsernuh are cammin" :cool:

What is wrong with that club though?

Original post by James.Carnell
Looking at the statistics below, it baffles me how people are so poor when they can easily get jobs compared to me and I am many times wealthier than they are (off my own work). Makes you realise that in this country it pays to be stupid, I think the UK clearly has an anti-intellectual stance on people like many of us here. Never have I heard the term "overqualified" more than in the UK. I was told I was overqualified to work in an admin job LOL. Like *****, I just want to go in and do a job and earn an honest living.

Then you get the whole "not enough experience for this role" rubbish that me and SR90 get. I don't know about him but I saved near a million for my company and I was going for a role that I clearly had the experience for as per the job description. They progressed my CV which is detailed enough for them to form a reasoned opinion without me wasting my money on train tickets to go to a pointless interview. Why could they just not reject me pre-interview if they thought I didn't have enough experience? Fwiw, in my previous job I exceeded my saving targets like 100x over and I still got fired... It shows you that the whole "experience"/performance charade is just b.s. when they kept on the idiot nephew of one of the senior managers that could not even tie his own shoelaces.

Then I log onto LinkedIn and I see a guy that got a 2.2 having a graduate job there with inferior experience , in the same role. Truth is, you get rampant nepotism (family members etc) in FTSE100/250 firms and people assume that the UK is a meritocracy but it has many many little empires which people create for themselves.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-3813659/16-million-people-working-age-100-savings-study-shows.html

Percentages of working age people who have less than £100 in savings across the UK:
- Northern Ireland, 56.8%
- West Midlands, 55.2%
- Yorkshire and the Humber, 50.9%
- North East, 50.7%
- Wales, 50.1%
- Scotland, 48.4%
- East Midlands, 47.9%
- North West, 47.4%
- London, 42.3%
- South West, 37.4%
- East of England, 36.3%
- South East, 30.1%

When someone says you're overqualified for a job, what they are really saying is that you're too ambitious for the job. Who wouldn't want to hire someone brighter/harder working for the same wages as someone a little dim? But that's too much of a short term view - you hire someone bright, they require training and time. Then by the time they are useful, they've already found a better job so they move on. This is the reason they don't want to hire you for these types of jobs. Rather take someone a little dim but who will be stuck to the job for 6 months to 5 years rather than someone who's likely to quit as soon as possible for something better.

Are you mostly getting rejected at application stage or interview stage? Probably something that you're doing wrong (imo applying for jobs and interviewing are skills that can be improved).

Original post by Rk2k14

I like hearing about Acorns life. Much more interesting life than sitting and playing FIFA every night. Frankly I'm a little jealous too that he's had the balls to start and run his own business.
Original post by fallen_acorns
but but but.. difeo repped me :frown:

It's like when a 4 year old spends an hour drawing a bloody awful picture so you have to pretend it's nice and reward them anyway x
Original post by Zerforax
Much more interesting life than sitting and playing FIFA every night.

Original post by Wilfred Little

That's the gayest thing I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKJ_zCHLoKU

and it gets worse
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little

The guy in the video (not Heavy D) isn't bad to be fair to him, he's got a nice flow going.
anyone here into vinyl/records?*

Kind of interested in starting to buy some + a player..

Is there any way to aproach this without being a douche?

I liked it last year when I was spending the evening with around 8 people at a friends place, and he had a record player with a huge collection of records.. all night, people were going up and picking through the music and putting on what they wanted to listen to whilst we ate/talked/drank/played etc. It was much more social and involved then just having an ipod conected to a speaker in the room.

But.

Almost all of the people I know who buy records are douches. Typical hipster cereal-cafe man-bun fake-glasses, bands youve never heard of, obscure festivals, organic pasty types..

Is there any way of being into records without being a dickhead?

[video="youtube;lVmmYMwFj1I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I[/video]*
Got my holiday booked, can't wait to chill out in the sun. ☀️
Reply 9559
Original post by Zerforax
When someone says you're overqualified for a job, what they are really saying is that you're too ambitious for the job. Who wouldn't want to hire someone brighter/harder working for the same wages as someone a little dim? But that's too much of a short term view - you hire someone bright, they require training and time. Then by the time they are useful, they've already found a better job so they move on. This is the reason they don't want to hire you for these types of jobs. Rather take someone a little dim but who will be stuck to the job for 6 months to 5 years rather than someone who's likely to quit as soon as possible for something better.

Are you mostly getting rejected at application stage or interview stage? Probably something that you're doing wrong (imo applying for jobs and interviewing are skills that can be improved).

I like hearing about Acorns life. Much more interesting life than sitting and playing FIFA every night. Frankly I'm a little jealous too that he's had the balls to start and run his own business.

Well you'd expect a grown man's life to be more interesting on a student forum. Some of us are yet to experience the big wide world.

Latest