The Student Room Group

Bad GCSEs-good a levels- can I go uni?

Hi guys, basically when I was in schools I was really lazy and did not know the consiqunces of failing my GCSEs.

Therefore I left with the following grades
Igcse English C
Maths E
French F
Geography E
RE D
Btec applied science Pass
Btec sport Pass
Btec IT pass

As you can see my grades are absolutely diabolical!! After realising I screwed up I retook my gcse maths and obtained a grade C.Because i now had English and maths at grade C I was able to study the Btec extended diploma in engineering (level 3). After successfully achieving all distinctions in the first year I am predicted D* D* D* including distinctions in both math units. I also done many extra curricular activities such as summers schools, EPQ, work experience and being a student ambassador. I have a great teacher reference aswell.

My question is, will Universities still consider me/ give me a offer even though I got really bad GCSEs. I have checked the unis website and they all seem to say English and maths at grade C which I have. I also exceed their level 3 requirements. I want to study the Beng in Mechanical engineering at one of the following uniS
University of Birmingham
Aston university
University of Nottingham
Birmingham city
University of hull

Please help I'm really worried I won't get into uni 🤕😢
(edited 7 years ago)
Why not call up the uni's and ask them for yourself?
Original post by Azizul98
Hi guys, basically when I was in schools I was really lazy and did not know the consiqunces of failing my GCSEs.

Igcse English C
Maths E
French F
Geography E
RE D
Btec sport Pass
Btec IT pass

As you can see my grades are absolutely diabolical!! After realising I screwed up I retook my gcse maths and obtained a grade C.Because i now had English and maths at grade C I was able to study the Btec extended diploma in engineering (level 3). After successfully achieving all distinctions in the first year I am predicted D* D* D* including distinctions in both math units. I also done many extra curricular activities such as summers schools, EPQ, work experience and being a student ambassador. I have a great teacher reference aswell.

My question is, will Universities still consider me/ give me a offer even though I got really bad GCSEs. I have checked the unis website and they all seem to say English and maths at grade C which I have. I also exceed their level 3 requirements. I want to study the Beng in Mechanical engineering at one of the following uniS
University of Birmingham
Aston university
University of Nottingham
Birmingham city
University of hull

The important part is in bold. Although you mucked up at GCSE, you are improving which is a good sign to universities.

Igcse English C
Maths E
French F
Geography E
RE D
Btec sport Pass
Btec IT pass

University of Birmingham
Aston university
University of Nottingham
Birmingham city
University of hull

Have you been to the websites and checked each of the requirements. Will this turnaorund be mentioned either in your reference or to a degree in your PS. If you meet the requirements apply. I'd think you would be competitive.
Reply 4

Igcse English C
Maths E
French F
Geography E
RE D
Btec sport Pass
Btec IT pass

University of Birmingham
Aston university
University of Nottingham
Birmingham city
University of hull

{I posted this on another thread that this post was on, but I thought I should transfer it there just for anyone else who is curious}

Don't automatically assume that you will not get into university just because you do not have the grades! I would highly recommend trying to gain some experience (although I understand that this is not always possible without the right qualifications!). Also email a variety of universities who offer the course. Email their admissions team (or if they provide the head of the department etc email them), tell them your current qualifications, what you are expected to get, any professional experience (even a work experience will do) and ask if they will still consider your application or what they recommend to boosting your grades so you can get it. Don't just email the five that you would most like to go to. Email a wide variety, even aim for the ones with really strict entry requirements (they may be more able to provide you with advice on how to get in). Some might even consider you! I am currently trying to get into university based off of just my portfolio and work experience and to my surprise I actually have quite a few universities getting back to me saying they would consider me and I should apply! So I highly recommend it. If not, have you considered doing an apprenticeship and then going onto university? An apprenticeship would give you both higher grades AND work experience (which is what I am using to boost my application).

The worst they can do is say no and tell you some tips on what to do, which can alway be super useful! That is why I recommend asking a variety of universities, some might have unique courses or advice to help you get in, so don't just assume your work is done once you've sent off five or so emails!
Alternatively, they can encourage you to apply. Which is great! They will of course prioritise those with the grades, but if you have a good personal statement and reference you are still in with the chance. A lot of the universities that got back to me encouraging me to apply also provided me with their own guidance on personal statements, again super useful, especially if you do really want to study there!
Reply 5
I'm not at this stage yet but I'm having panic attacks at just GCSE unit tests.

I can't really help but I just want to say take a breather, I would love someone to have told me this.

I wish you LOTS of luck and may you get into a good university!
Original post by iishai
I'm not at this stage yet but I'm having panic attacks at just GCSE unit tests.

I can't really help but I just want to say take a breather, I would love someone to have told me this.

I wish you LOTS of luck and may you get into a good university!

Im having panic attacks at unit tests too :frown:
Reply 7
[QUOTE=EmmaCx;68078476]{I posted this on another thread that this post was on, but I thought I should transfer it there just for anyone else who is curious}

Don't automatically assume that you will not get into university just because you do not have the grades! I would highly recommend trying to gain some experience (although I understand that this is not always possible without the right qualifications!). Also email a variety of universities who offer the course. Email their admissions team (or if they provide the head of the department etc email them), tell them your current qualifications, what you are expected to get, any professional experience (even a work experience will do) and ask if they will still consider your application or what they recommend to boosting your grades so you can get it. Don't just email the five that you would most like to go to. Email a wide variety, even aim for the ones with really strict entry requirements (they may be more able to provide you with advice on how to get in). Some might even consider you! I am currently trying to get into university based off of just my portfolio and work experience and to my surprise I actually have quite a few universities getting back to me saying they would consider me and I should apply! So I highly recommend it. If not, have you considered doing an apprenticeship and then going onto university? An apprenticeship would give you both higher grades AND work experience (which is what I am using to boost my application).

The worst they can do is say no and tell you some tips on what to do, which can alway be super useful! That is why I recommend asking a variety of universities, some might have unique courses or advice to help you get in, so don't just assume your work is done once you've sent off five or so emails!
Alternatively, they can encourage you to apply. Which is great! They will of course prioritise those with the grades, but if you have a good personal statement and reference you are still in with the chance. A lot of the universities that got back to me encouraging me to apply also provided me with their own guidance on personal statements, again super useful, especially if you do really want to study there!

Thanks for the reply, I have got work experience at a local mechanical engineering company and I have emailed many universities and they all say English and maths at C. But I'm just worried as I only meet their minimum requirements and therefore they might reject me.
Reply 8
Thanks for the reply, I have got work experience at a local mechanical engineering company and I have emailed many universities and they all say English and maths at C. But I'm just worried as I only meet their minimum requirements and therefore they might reject me.

It is a possibility they will reject you but that is the same possibility that those with much higher grades also experience. With a good strong personal statement, qualifications, and work experience you've definitely got a great competitive application right there. Remember, there is also clearance if worse comes to the worse, but if you meet the requirements of the universities you apply to then I would be surprised if you did not get at least one university offer.
Reply 9

No. All you need to do is meet the stated requirements.

The rest of your application means you'll be a very good candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
[QUOTE=jneill;68078694]No. All you need to do is meet the stated requirements.

The rest of your application means you'll be a very good candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok , but wouldn't my other GCSE grades put me at a disadvantage? Because the rest ar Es and Fs except English and maths
Reply 11
Ah ok , but wouldn't my other GCSE grades put me at a disadvantage? Because the rest ar Es and Fs except English and maths

No. Only if the university requirements specifically say so. Most are very happy to see an upward academic trajectory. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh I'm in the same boat. I got terrible GCSE results (C's in English Lang, Maths,Geography, RS and a LVL 2 Pass in BTEC Science) Other than that I got D's in Drama (where I was one mark off :frown:), French, English Lit and E in GCSE Science and Music. I didn't work as hard as I should have, got distracted and didn't take education seriously.

With that being said I do BTEC Business Level 3 Extended Diploma and got D* D* in first year and I'm predicted 3 D*'s, also doing an EPQ where I aim to do well in.

In my personal statement I'm going to emphasise on how much I've changed between the transition from GCSE's to A Levels, so as long as you do the same I'm sure you stand a good chance into getting into these universities. I do have concerns however since most universities want minimum 5A*'s to C in GCSE's, I'm not sure what LVL 2 Pass counts as. Like you, I did work experience (6 weeks), currently am undertaking an EPQ, joined photography enrichment, plan to run film club and took part in Regional Youth Board for NCS in London. I plan to apply to: Royal Holloway, UCL, Roehampton, Westminster and undecided about the last one yet.

As long as you emphasise on your activities outside of education and talk about the units that might relate to the uni content I'm sure you'll be fine! Universities have more of a focus on A levels and equivalent grades opposed to GCSE's as these are more recent and a lot more difficult. Goodluck with your application!!!!

Sorry for the rambling!
Original post by Tenisha1999
Tbh I'm in the same boat. I got terrible GCSE results (C's in English Lang, Maths,Geography, RS and a LVL 2 Pass in BTEC Science) Other than that I got D's in Drama (where I was one mark off :frown:), French, English Lit and E in GCSE Science and Music. I didn't work as hard as I should have, got distracted and didn't take education seriously.

With that being said I do BTEC Business Level 3 Extended Diploma and got D* D* in first year and I'm predicted 3 D*'s, also doing an EPQ where I aim to do well in.

In my personal statement I'm going to emphasise on how much I've changed between the transition from GCSE's to A Levels, so as long as you do the same I'm sure you stand a good chance into getting into these universities. I do have concerns however since most universities want minimum 5A*'s to C in GCSE's, I'm not sure what LVL 2 Pass counts as. Like you, I did work experience (6 weeks), currently am undertaking an EPQ, joined photography enrichment, plan to run film club and took part in Regional Youth Board for NCS in London. I plan to apply to: Royal Holloway, UCL, Roehampton, Westminster and undecided about the last one yet.

As long as you emphasise on your activities outside of education and talk about the units that might relate to the uni content I'm sure you'll be fine! Universities have more of a focus on A levels and equivalent grades opposed to GCSE's as these are more recent and a lot more difficult. Goodluck with your application!!!!

Sorry for the rambling!

Watch out for unis which insist on a B in GCSE Maths and English Language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
Watch out for unis which insist on a B in GCSE Maths and English Language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I have. For the course I want to do (Business Management and Marketing) for the unis mentioned or at UCL (Information Management in Business) they only require C's which is a relief, at the open days I asked why requirements were lower and they explained they want to target people that are not necessarily from privileged, private schooled backgrounds, so the requirements seem to be quite good however this increases competition by a tonnnnnn

Igcse English C
Maths E
French F
Geography E
RE D
Btec sport Pass
Btec IT pass

University of Birmingham
Aston university
University of Nottingham
Birmingham city
University of hull

you barely pulled off a pass in GCSE math yet you want to do a flipping MENG IN ENGINEERING??!!!!
You should be fine but that E in maths is going to be a big problem
Reply 17
[QUOTE=jamestg;68103092]You should be fine but that E in maths is going to be a big problem

I have retaken it and gained a grade C😀
I have retaken it and gained a grade C😀

Congrats! Just make sure the unis you're applying don't require a B or above in GCSE maths and they're happy for you not taking maths at A-level!
Original post by jamestg
You should be fine but that E in maths is going to be a big problem

If the grade is not a problem, it will cause him/her problems in the future at university or even at A Level considering they wanna do engineering..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending