The Student Room Group

Am I paying too much board?

So ATM I work at McDonald's full time whilst I'm looking for a "better" job so to speak. The thing is I'm paying my mum £480 a month in board. (Yes I meant as rent 😂😂)

My dad was shocked to hear I was paying that much and said my mum had agreed with him for me to pay the difference in his maintainance payments since they had reduced since I was no longer in full time education. He told me they had agreed on £150 a month for me to pay and he felt guilty at me paying that but I'm paying just over 3 times that 😐

I guess my question is do you think I'm paying too much? I don't have to worry about anything pretty much everything is covered for me to live etc but it is just over half my wages

How would I speak to her about it? Without coming across as ungrateful or spoilt? even if it's to find out where the money goes so to say and hoe much she is missing out on since I'm not in college anymore
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sambetts96
So ATM I work at McDonald's full time whilst I'm looking for a "better" job so to speak. The thing is I'm paying my mum £480 a month in board.

My dad was shocked to hear I was paying that much and said my mum had agreed with him for me to pay the difference in his msintsinance payments since they had reduced since I was no longer in full time education. He told me they had agreed on £150 a month for me to pay and he felt guilty at me paying that but I'm paying just over 3 times that 😐

I guess my question is do you think I'm paying too much? I don't have to worry about anything pretty much everything is covered for me to live etc but it is just over half my wages

How would I speak to her about it? Without coming across as ungrateful or spoilt? even if it's to find out where the money goes so to say and hoe much she is missing out on since I'm not in college anymore

Why the hell pay £480 for a board? That's crazy. Like stupid crazy!
Reply 2
😂😂

Do you mean board as in rent?

You want to know how much I pay, £0 and I'm 21. (Full time student).

I start my new job next week after my induction. Guess how much I'll pay then? £0.

I'm not paying rent, even if I did. It wouldn't be £480. I used my grant to help me commute to university. This year it'll be £530. £265 in January, ouch.

EDIT: I also got maintenance grant (£3,387) and no I haven't spent it all. I still have just over £3,100 saved. I'm still due two more payments. Despite having this amount as a full time student, I choose to save it and get a job. I also want the body shop advent calendar (£80), at least I can justify buying t now as I work :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mvine001
Why the hell pay £480 for a board? That's crazy. Like stupid crazy!

Well I thought that was what my dad had paid for me in maintenance but when I was speaking to him about it he was quite shocked. What's the best way to approach my mum about it She seems to think it's fair. I'd be happy to pay that if I was earning more money but when I get anywhere between 700-800 and having more than half going to pay to live at home it does kinda suck :frown:
I've always been one to say "it'd cost you more to live alone" and all that jazz as there are so many people expecting to live with their parents free of charge. However, nearly 500 quid a month is pretty ridiculous IMO. It's not going to cost your mum anywhere near that much to fund you living with her, is it? I'd say to her that you've spoken to dad and you both think you're paying far too much and you need a sit down together to work out exactly how much it's costing her for you to be there.
Reply 5
Original post by Ishax
😂😂

Do you mean board as in rent?

You want to know how much I pay, £0 and I'm 21. (Full time student).

I start my new job next week after my induction. Guess how much I'll pay then? £0.

I'm not paying rent, even if I did. It wouldn't be £480. I used my grant to help me commute to university. This year it'll be £530. £265 in January, ouch.

EDIT: I also got maintenance grant (£3,387) and no I haven't spent it all. I still have just over £3,100 saved. I'm still due two more payments. Despite having this amount as a full time student, I choose to save it and get a job. I also want the body shop advent calendar (£80), at least I can justify buying t now as I work :smile:

Yeah I did mean rent shouldve clarified that 😂😂it doesn't seem like I'm paying a lot of money but how would I bring it up, my mum can be so stubborn and takes things as personal insults way to much 😐😐
Reply 6
Well I thought that was what my dad had paid for me in maintenance but when I was speaking to him about it he was quite shocked. What's the best way to approach my mum about it She seems to think it's fair. I'd be happy to pay that if I was earning more money but when I get anywhere between 700-800 and having more than half going to pay to live at home it does kinda suck :frown:

Your Mum is just being greedy (no offence).

My Dad works full time and Mum works part time. I used to work with agency on temporary contract and they never asked for "board". I've got a permanent contract now but they still haven't asked for rent. It will not cost your Mum £480 a month to take care of you.

I buy my own clothes/shoes etc. I pay for my own commute to university. I don't see why I should pay rent. Fair enough, if I worked full time but I'm a full time student.
Reply 7
Yeah I did mean rent shouldve clarified that 😂😂it doesn't seem like I'm paying a lot of money but how would I bring it up, my mum can be so stubborn and takes things as personal insults way to much 😐😐

How is £480 not a lot of money?

Tell her to **** off then, ridiculous paying that much considering you're a full time student. Assuming that you are. Unbelievable, I'm actually quite shocked lol.

Does she work?
It's quite a lot, but you say that covers everything - including food, I presume. You're paying a lot in terms of 'board' (i.e. most people your age wouldn't pay that much) but relatively speaking, £480 a month for all your bills/food is cheap.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Ishax
How is £480 not a lot of money?

Tell her to **** off then, ridiculous paying that much considering you're a full time student. Assuming that you are. Unbelievable, I'm actually quite shocked lol.

Does she work?

Apologies I meant "does" not "doesn't" damn autocorrect! I finished college this year and am working full time at McDonald's, so I'm fine with paying something to live at home not expecting it for free. Just I thought whilst I was discussing it with my dad and I realised I'm paying about £15 a day just to live at home?

Just wanted other people's opinions on it i know I don't have to worry about anything as in it's all covered but £480 whilst I'm earning 700 a month if I'm lucky is a lot
Apologies I meant "does" not "doesn't" damn autocorrect! I finished college this year and am working full time at McDonald's, so I'm fine with paying something to live at home not expecting it for free. Just I thought whilst I was discussing it with my dad and I realised I'm paying about £15 a day just to live at home?

Just wanted other people's opinions on it i know I don't have to worry about anything as in it's all covered but £480 whilst I'm earning 700 a month if I'm lucky is a lot

But that means you only have £220 left over? Which is unreasonable. Mine is all covered in £0. You shouldn't be paying rent in my opinion. Even if you are, majority parents ask £150/200.

Your Mum has asked for majority of your salary, she's quite greedy. I'm sure you have some interests in games or clothes or whatever, you'd like to purchase from your hard earned money.
Reply 11
Definitely have a discussion with her about it, because there is no way that you should be paying that much. For one, that is the majority of your wage going straight to her, rather than on progressing your life. If she feels as though you have to pay that much to cover bills etc then suggest she goes on a comparison site, because if you're splitting the bill then that's an horrific amount each month. Otherwise, she is getting you to pay the majority of the bill, so she has a nice cosy amount of money tucked away for herself.
I currently pay £100 every payday, and that covers travel to and from work, contribution to the bills and for food. Even then some would consider that a lot.
You need to be up front about it and say you do not agree to pay that much money anymore, how are you meant to save up for things when a good chunk of your wage goes towards board & then the rest to essentials (and alright some not-so essential stuff)?
For me, board is meant to help alleviate how much bills cost the household (individually), so find out how much she is currently paying, and come to an agreement over a smaller contribution fee.
Perhaps discuss with her how much cheaper it would be if you paid for your own food? You may find you'll make a saving even though you do have to pay for your food. There are plenty of cheap supermarkets out there, where you can get great quality food for a relatively low price.
(edited 7 years ago)
Does she happen to be eligible for any benefits or tax credits? If so she could be losing a lot with you working,although I doubt that much.

I pay £400 a month in rent and living costs a month living with my partner but it would be more if I had my own place. In my mind you re paying around the amount you would to have your own place really.
So ATM I work at McDonald's full time whilst I'm looking for a "better" job so to speak. The thing is I'm paying my mum £480 a month in board. (Yes I meant as rent 😂😂)

My dad was shocked to hear I was paying that much and said my mum had agreed with him for me to pay the difference in his maintainance payments since they had reduced since I was no longer in full time education. He told me they had agreed on £150 a month for me to pay and he felt guilty at me paying that but I'm paying just over 3 times that 😐

I was (before I moved out) making £10,000 a month and paying like £300 in board to my parents
Reply 14
Original post by EmmaCx
Definitely have a discussion with her about it, because there is no way that you should be paying that much. For one, that is the majority of your wage going straight to her, rather than on progressing your life. If she feels as though you have to pay that much to cover bills etc then suggest she goes on a comparison site, because if you're splitting the bill then that's an horrific amount each month. Otherwise, she is getting you to pay the majority of the bill, so she has a nice cosy amount of money tucked away for herself.
I currently pay £100 every payday, and that covers travel to and from work, contribution to the bills and for food. Even then some would consider that a lot.
You need to be up front about it and say you do not agree to pay that much money anymore, how are you meant to save up for things when a good chunk of your wage goes towards board & then the rest to essentials (and alright some not-so essential stuff)?
For me, board is meant to help alleviate how much bills cost the household (individually), so find out how much she is currently paying, and come to an agreement over a smaller contribution fee.
Perhaps discuss with her how much cheaper it would be if you paid for your own food? You may find you'll make a saving even though you do have to pay for your food. There are plenty of cheap supermarkets out there, where you can get great quality food for a relatively low price.

Yeah I'm going to have to discuss it with her, not saying I expect to live for free or anything but at this rate I'll never have enough saved up
Reply 15
Original post by claireestelle
Does she happen to be eligible for any benefits or tax credits? If so she could be losing a lot with you working,although I doubt that much.

I pay £400 a month in rent and living costs a month living with my partner but it would be more if I had my own place. In my mind you re paying around the amount you would to have your own place really.

Think there is some benefits she no longer receivers since I've finished college but tbh my dad claimed he dropped the child maintainance payments by 150 and that he payed around 400 for me and my sister. When it's put like that it does seems like I'm paying a lot.
Yeah I'm going to have to discuss it with her, not saying I expect to live for free or anything but at this rate I'll never have enough saved up

Just pay her £100/150 that seems reasonable to me. Even your Dad agreed to £150.
Think there is some benefits she no longer receivers since I've finished college but tbh my dad claimed he dropped the child maintainance payments by 150 and that he payed around 400 for me and my sister. When it's put like that it does seems like I'm paying a lot.

At a guess,she d have lost at least £50 a month from child benefit and tax credits, she d be losing council tax and housing benefit to some extent. So I d be saying offer her at least 250,but it does some like she wants to recoup some lost funds from child maintainable. I think you need an open honest conversation and find out exactly where this money is going, if you re contributing now you deserve to know what the bills cost at least.
I think people really really show their age and lack of life experience when it comes to these topics.

I doubt your mum is being "greedy". She will have lost money in benefits and yes it is likely that it does cost £480 to "keep" you.

Basically you are a big boy now and you need to pay your way. I am sorry that your parents aren't in a position to support you anymore but that is a fact of life. The good thing is, you are entitled to an adult conversation of "Mum, why is it so much?". She can then explain to you outgoings and incomings. If it doesn't suit you after that... move out!
Original post by Ljayne89
I think people really really show their age and lack of life experience when it comes to these topics.

I doubt your mum is being "greedy". She will have lost money in benefits and yes it is likely that it does cost £480 to "keep" you.

Basically you are a big boy now and you need to pay your way. I am sorry that your parents aren't in a position to support you anymore but that is a fact of life. The good thing is, you are entitled to an adult conversation of "Mum, why is it so much?". She can then explain to you outgoings and incomings. If it doesn't suit you after that... move out!

My parents don't charge me rent and never have, I'm 21. In my opinion, she is being greedy because his Dad said they both agreed to £150 a month. I doubt it costs her £480 a month to keep him lol! My Dad paid for my driving lessons.

Asian parents (Indian) in my case, never ask their children for rent.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending