The Student Room Group

What's the best way of dealing with a dad like this?

I got a parking ticket for parking on a carpark at the side of the vets. I was taking a pet and didn't realise you had to pay as it's always been free. However the second time I went (the pets been going frequently) I noticed a sign on the vets front door saying that the car park at the side WA downed by another company which had started charging. So I bought pay and display tickets from then on.

However I had a letter through saying I had to pay 100 (or 60 if paid within 2 weeks) for that first day I parked for 14 mins not realising I had to pay. My mum paid it over the Internet website on the letter and I gave her the money in cash so I've paid it now. However my dad was really nasty about it and wouldn't stop going on. He was lay on the couch saying 'bloody pathetic, all for a rat, 'oh well she's going have to work another shift or sell the car'. I just humoured him and said 'it's probably best driving is a nightmare these days anyway' he said 'see she's not bothered about the bloody car sell it she can give us the money towards the mortgage'. My mum told him to stop going on and said 'everyone is after your money these days let right and centre'.

He said 'it's not the car park it's the daft burgers who park there, criminal, she's a criminal'. My mum said 'you've had fines in ten past he said 'not every month' (this is untrue I've only ever had 1 speeding fine that was back in April that's the only fine I've had apart from this). Then my dad said 'your going to have to cancel the holiday' (me and my mum are going on a weekend break). I just said 'well I suppose it would give me more time to study' and he said 'see she does even ****ing appreciate it or want to go'. He kept going on 'she's going to ah e to work an extra shift'. Then when I gave my mum the money (it's my student loan I keep upstairs) my dad said 'I never had that much money she's got all the ****ing money around here'. The thing is he will keep bringing it up now and annoy me, he always looks for a reason to be sarcastic or get at me and now he has found one. I wouldn't care but he has had fines and tickets in the past, he even got charged for forgetting to pay his council tax. Our other dog got attacked by another dog because he didn't have him on a lead, this cost thousands in vets bills and the dog died in the end but I don't keep going on about this to him. Basically what I'm saying is he's not perfect himself yet wants to get at me. My mum said just ignore him he talks rubbish which he does but what's the best way of dealing with it, ignoring doesn't stop him?
Depends if you're male or female
Original post by Anonymous
I got a parking ticket for parking on a carpark at the side of the vets. I was taking a pet and didn't realise you had to pay as it's always been free. However the second time I went (the pets been going frequently) I noticed a sign on the vets front door saying that the car park at the side WA downed by another company which had started charging. So I bought pay and display tickets from then on.

However I had a letter through saying I had to pay 100 (or 60 if paid within 2 weeks) for that first day I parked for 14 mins not realising I had to pay. My mum paid it over the Internet website on the letter and I gave her the money in cash so I've paid it now. However my dad was really nasty about it and wouldn't stop going on. He was lay on the couch saying 'bloody pathetic, all for a rat, 'oh well she's going have to work another shift or sell the car'. I just humoured him and said 'it's probably best driving is a nightmare these days anyway' he said 'see she's not bothered about the bloody car sell it she can give us the money towards the mortgage'. My mum told him to stop going on and said 'everyone is after your money these days let right and centre'.

He said 'it's not the car park it's the daft burgers who park there, criminal, she's a criminal'. My mum said 'you've had fines in ten past he said 'not every month' (this is untrue I've only ever had 1 speeding fine that was back in April that's the only fine I've had apart from this). Then my dad said 'your going to have to cancel the holiday' (me and my mum are going on a weekend break). I just said 'well I suppose it would give me more time to study' and he said 'see she does even ****ing appreciate it or want to go'. He kept going on 'she's going to ah e to work an extra shift'. Then when I gave my mum the money (it's my student loan I keep upstairs) my dad said 'I never had that much money she's got all the ****ing money around here'. The thing is he will keep bringing it up now and annoy me, he always looks for a reason to be sarcastic or get at me and now he has found one. I wouldn't care but he has had fines and tickets in the past, he even got charged for forgetting to pay his council tax. Our other dog got attacked by another dog because he didn't have him on a lead, this cost thousands in vets bills and the dog died in the end but I don't keep going on about this to him. Basically what I'm saying is he's not perfect himself yet wants to get at me. My mum said just ignore him he talks rubbish which he does but what's the best way of dealing with it, ignoring doesn't stop him?

You sound like a student living at home.

He sounds a right misery who likes to take it out on you.

The best strategy is ignoring and avoiding because he wants a rise from you. You do seem to give him some quite reasonable answers, but they probably annoy him even more. He looks for an excuse and he will always look for one.

You will never get him to change his mind until he becomes a happier person, which is unlikely to happen. He will never admit you are right or admit he is wrong. Thats why just avoid and let him chunter to himself. he will get bored eventually. Answering back or reasoning wont work with him.
Reply 3
Original post by BabyLadDarren
Depends if you're male or female

I'm female but I am planning on starting jujitsu.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
You sound like a student living at home.

He sounds a right misery who likes to take it out on you.

The best strategy is ignoring and avoiding because he wants a rise from you. You do seem to give him some quite reasonable answers, but they probably annoy him even more. He looks for an excuse and he will always look for one.

You will never get him to change his mind until he becomes a happier person, which is unlikely to happen. He will never admit you are right or admit he is wrong. Thats why just avoid and let him chunter to himself. he will get bored eventually. Answering back or reasoning wont work with him.

You are right in saying that he will never admit he is wrong, he has never discussed things objectively He has a thing about people leaving the bathroom floor wet after a shower and I make sure that I don't. I usually leave the window open a little to let steam out like most people do (I think lol). Once I'd had a shower and he went in straight after and i knew I'd done everything 'right' but still had the feeling he would criticise. Then I heard him mutter 'bloody hell, open the ****ing window, ****ing idiot she is'. I knew I'd opened it but obviously not enough for him lol. I'm not perfect I know and I probably should have my own place by now but my point is he will find anything to moan/criticise lol.
Original post by Anonymous
You are right in saying that he will never admit he is wrong, he has never discussed things objectively He has a thing about people leaving the bathroom floor wet after a shower and I make sure that I don't. I usually leave the window open a little to let steam out like most people do (I think lol). Once I'd had a shower and he went in straight after and i knew I'd done everything 'right' but still had the feeling he would criticise. Then I heard him mutter 'bloody hell, open the ****ing window, ****ing idiot she is'. I knew I'd opened it but obviously not enough for him lol. I'm not perfect I know and I probably should have my own place by now but my point is he will find anything to moan/criticise lol.

Hence showing him it isnt affecting you with reasonable answers will just make him wind himself up even more> its insecuirty on his part. You wont win, so dont bother.

When you finish Uni, then you cna find a place of your own or next year you cna move out? peace and quiet. Feel sympathy for your mum, she has to put up with it forever. You cna chat with her whilst you have the holiday. Smart move leaving him behind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending