The Student Room Group

Is English Language A-level good?

I am currently doing English Language, I am just wondering what opportunites in the future does English Language Alevels are going to get me? Like uni? Which type of course will accept it?

Anyone does English Language Alevels tell me. cause people said it's considered as a 'soft' subject and Im worried.
Original post by kelseymansum
I am currently doing English Language, I am just wondering what opportunites in the future does English Language Alevels are going to get me? Like uni? Which type of course will accept it?

Anyone does English Language Alevels tell me. cause people said it's considered as a 'soft' subject and Im worried.

I'm currently in my second year of A Levels and I do English language, it's really good if you want to get into careers such as journalism and teaching. By my awareness, all universities accept it as it is a core subject. I'm not sure what else you're asking, sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by littlemix012
I'm currently in my second year of A Levels and I do English language, it's really good if you want to get into careers such as journalism and teaching. By my awareness, all universities accept it as it is a core subject. I'm not sure what else you're asking, sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fabulous! due to an amount of people do English Lit and Language, unfortunately my school doesn't offer that so it seems like I need to compete for it.

Been studying AS English language for like 4 weeks now, it is great and I am enjoying it !
Hey,

I just started my A2 language course and I'm really loving it so far!

I just finished my UCAS and applied for linguistics, so you really have most doors open to you in terms of uni courses. There are so many different opportunities, with the most obvious being teaching and journalism, but there's also marketing and law out there too. :smile:

English language definitely isn't a soft subject. Cambridge + Russell Group unis have it on their preferred list of subjects! So there's really no need to worry.

What exam board are you doing? :smile:
Original post by ellavanderbilt
Hey,

I just started my A2 language course and I'm really loving it so far!

I just finished my UCAS and applied for linguistics, so you really have most doors open to you in terms of uni courses. There are so many different opportunities, with the most obvious being teaching and journalism, but there's also marketing and law out there too. :smile:

English language definitely isn't a soft subject. Cambridge + Russell Group unis have it on their preferred list of subjects! So there's really no need to worry.

What exam board are you doing? :smile:

I am currently doing AQA , which is quite easy( what people say to me so far)!

That's very good , I am quite a different person, I'm not really into Journalisms but I really love writing (Especially blogs!). Therefore I chose to do English Language, I hope it does opens the door widely whereas it gives me quite a lot of opportunities.
I was just so worried about it because some people do Lit and Lang together and I felt like I'm behind and people are smarter than me haha..
Original post by kelseymansum
I am currently doing AQA , which is quite easy( what people say to me so far)!

That's very good , I am quite a different person, I'm not really into Journalisms but I really love writing (Especially blogs!). Therefore I chose to do English Language, I hope it does opens the door widely whereas it gives me quite a lot of opportunities.
I was just so worried about it because some people do Lit and Lang together and I felt like I'm behind and people are smarter than me haha..

AQA are pretty good when it comes to language. :smile:

Oh I'm into blogs too! There's creative writing uni courses out there if that'd be your sort of thing.

I also do lit, but I don't think it helps me all that much with language if I'm honest. :smile:
I’m currently doing English Language year 13 and in uni I want to do spanish and linguistics (deriving from English language) and hopefully do forensic linguistics in the future :smile: they say it’s a piss take subject but it really isn’t and can open up doors for you xx
Original post by saskiashoskins
I’m currently doing English Language year 13 and in uni I want to do spanish and linguistics (deriving from English language) and hopefully do forensic linguistics in the future :smile: they say it’s a piss take subject but it really isn’t and can open up doors for you xx

"language is power."

Quick Reply