The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SnowLeopard27
So glad you asked both your questions - I was literally wondering exactly the same things! And glad it's only 4 sides as that's definitely all I can write in the time - thanks Dr Spencer for clearing these questions up:smile:

My pleasure to be of help! :smile:
For the SAQ 6.1, if I took AS Maths and Further Maths, and if I'm only taking Maths this year, do I list 6 modules under 'Mathematics' and then the 3 modules that I am taking this year?

Also, for the Topics question, my school is on holiday at the moment so I can't contact them to get details of what we'll have studied by December. Should I just guess?
Original post by Hariex
For the SAQ 6.1, if I took AS Maths and Further Maths, and if I'm only taking Maths this year, do I list 6 modules under 'Mathematics' and then the 3 modules that I am taking this year?

Also, for the Topics question, my school is on holiday at the moment so I can't contact them to get details of what we'll have studied by December. Should I just guess?

In 6.1 you put the results of all the maths and FM modules you have taken thus far under "mathematics" -don't put those which you haven't taken yet.

For topics, put all those that you have done and those which you know you will do.
Original post by jneill
I think you are misunderstanding the word "valid". UCAS is saying the application is valid in the sense that it is a completed application. It's then up to Cambridge, or the college, to identify that it is late due to the timestamp.

Posted from TSR Mobile

False information; direct from UCAS:

They (Oxbridge) would see the exact time but they'd go on what we say is on time or late. If your application states that your on time then this is what the unis would see as well.
Original post by Blueberry.89
False information; direct from UCAS:

They (Oxbridge) would see the exact time but they'd go on what we say is on time or late. If your application states that your on time then this is what the unis would see as well.

Ok. Was your application accepted?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, thank you but I found myself in this hole thanks only because of my horrendous time management. I guess it is a victory in the sense that I could easily have been in the reject pile by now.
Reply 668
Hello,

My question is more along the lines of personal statements and what sort of content Admissions Tutors are looking for. I am attempting to apply for Economics and also thinking of adding International Studies, Chinese Studies or Management along with it, what sort of things would I write about these, for instance, my skills, and qualities or what would draw in a tutor for a student wishing to study these areas?

I have a question about how to talk about programmes such as Young Enterprise, and things I have participated in such as a reading ahead programme at my college where you select six books within your subject fields and it is meant to be something you can include within your statement.

I am studying Geography, Economics and English Literature. English however I am doing as a full A2 within one year, as of being in an accident last year I could not complete the AS, however still striving! Would this be seen as a problem? Or is 3 full A Levels the same no matter how it is achieved?

Forgive me for being a bit vague, after doing a tonne of research online I feel a bit overwhelmed with where to start on this statement, this thread is brilliant as I am trying to avoid panic and it is the perfect way to stop this, with a little help from someone who has the best idea of what you're trying to achieve. Will this thread close or help from yourself have an end date? If so is there anyone to contact or talk to if I am getting stuck in the future?

Thank you in advance,
Emma
Thanks so much for doing this thread! Just a quick question about the SAQ Optional PS - are you meant to be saying what specifically inspires you about the Cambridge course, or is it also an opportunity to back up your statements about what you would enjoy with things you have done? For example, I am applying to do Economics but the modules on International Relations that are available really appeal to me as I have been to lectures and attended a summer programme at Yale on IR. Would these things be something to mention?

Thanks again!
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
In 6.1 you put the results of all the maths and FM modules you have taken thus far under "mathematics" -don't put those which you haven't taken yet.

For topics, put all those that you have done and those which you know you will do.

So where it says 'Modular AS/A level units to be completed' I list six modules taken last summer, but put my three modules this year under 'Modular AS/A Level units to be completed'?

The problem is that I don't know which ones I will be doing, so at best I will have to guess.
Original post by emevxns
Hello,

My question is more along the lines of personal statements and what sort of content Admissions Tutors are looking for. I am attempting to apply for Economics and also thinking of adding International Studies, Chinese Studies or Management along with it, what sort of things would I write about these, for instance, my skills, and qualities or what would draw in a tutor for a student wishing to study these areas?

I have a question about how to talk about programmes such as Young Enterprise, and things I have participated in such as a reading ahead programme at my college where you select six books within your subject fields and it is meant to be something you can include within your statement.

I am studying Geography, Economics and English Literature. English however I am doing as a full A2 within one year, as of being in an accident last year I could not complete the AS, however still striving! Would this be seen as a problem? Or is 3 full A Levels the same no matter how it is achieved?

Forgive me for being a bit vague, after doing a tonne of research online I feel a bit overwhelmed with where to start on this statement, this thread is brilliant as I am trying to avoid panic and it is the perfect way to stop this, with a little help from someone who has the best idea of what you're trying to achieve. Will this thread close or help from yourself have an end date? If so is there anyone to contact or talk to if I am getting stuck in the future?

Thank you in advance,
Emma

Hello Emma

Thank you for your interest but I am a little confused myself. If you are wanting to apply for economics at Cambridge the you aren't taking the right A Levels as Maths is essential. Secondly, the deadline for applications this year has now passed so it's too late to be thinking about how to write your personal statement.

Could you be a bit clearer about your intentions and situation please? Many thanks
Original post by somebodyelse98
Thanks so much for doing this thread! Just a quick question about the SAQ Optional PS - are you meant to be saying what specifically inspires you about the Cambridge course, or is it also an opportunity to back up your statements about what you would enjoy with things you have done? For example, I am applying to do Economics but the modules on International Relations that are available really appeal to me as I have been to lectures and attended a summer programme at Yale on IR. Would these things be something to mention?

Thanks again!

You can mention those things, yes. If there are specific things about the course you want to mention that's fine too & quite common. I can't emphasise enough, however, that this is optional and can easily and happily be left blank.
Original post by Hariex
So where it says 'Modular AS/A level units to be completed' I list six modules taken last summer, but put my three modules this year under 'Modular AS/A Level units to be completed'?

The problem is that I don't know which ones I will be doing, so at best I will have to guess.

Yes, that's right. You'll just have to guess about the modules you will be taking, you can always update us when you know.
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Yes, that's right. You'll just have to guess about the modules you will be taking, you can always update us when you know.

Is there any chance that a later update will make my application look bad if I left it too late to ask teachers?

Thanks for your help :h:
Original post by Hariex
Is there any chance that a later update will make my application look bad if I left it too late to ask teachers?

Thanks for your help :h:

It might look a bit bad but it's not going to be a big deal.
Reply 676
Hi Dr Spencer,

I have a query about the SAQ. I have applied for Maths at Cambridge and I was just wondering how specific do I need to be in the section that requests topics for Maths (Section 5.5). Is it alright to just write "Calculus" rather than explicitly stating "Integration by Parts" for example? Also can we separate Maths and Further Maths in this particular section as different qualifications?

Thanks in advance!
I know this is repeating a question that you have already answered, but I just need to make 1000% sure and I can be quite pedantic.

Does the EPQ go onto the education section on the SAQ (the bit where I am writing the topics, class sizes, subjects etc)?
If I apply with achieved grades at A2, e.g. A*A*A for medicine , would you still look at my AS grades and ask for UMS or will my AS grades no longer be used and looked at at all for the selection process ?
Original post by jneill
My son did. :smile:

I think I'll put it on then, as long as it will be okay (and it will be, providing your son did). Where it says 'subject' did he put 'EPQ' or the subject his EPQ was about?

Latest