The Student Room Group

Is nursing worth it?

Hello I am a currently in year 13 and hope to be going uni next year, but I am not as enthuatic as I was on the course,which is nursing (adult). I appreciate it if anyone doing a nursing course share their experience if they regret/ enjoy the course. How the placement was for you and if they were in my position would you chose nursing again? Thanks xx
If you're not enthusiastic then so think about this before you apply.
It's normal to have some worries and hang ups but nursing is not a course you can embark on having worries and not being 100% committed.
It's a stressful and difficult course and requires a lot of patience and organisation to balance everything out.
Nursing is a wonderful career and I cannot wait to finish. There are so many areas to work in and you can go all over the world if you want.
Many people are becoming lecturers or teachers, nurse practitioners and nurse prescribers. There is a massive scope out there and although I've found the course stressful at times I wouldn't change it for anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by deviant182
If you're not enthusiastic then so think about this before you apply.
It's normal to have some worries and hang ups but nursing is not a course you can embark on having worries and not being 100% committed.
It's a stressful and difficult course and requires a lot of patience and organisation to balance everything out.
Nursing is a wonderful career and I cannot wait to finish. There are so many areas to work in and you can go all over the world if you want.
Many people are becoming lecturers or teachers, nurse practitioners and nurse prescribers. There is a massive scope out there and although I've found the course stressful at times I wouldn't change it for anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep I like the rewarding aspects of the career itself just a bit hung up on if its right for me.

What year are you? And how did you find the placements?//cope
I am in third year (final year). I have 9 months left and I can't believe it's come round so quick. I'm now looking and applying for jobs for finishing in 9 months time.
I have stressed and I have had my little breakdowns etc but it's all worth that. I love nursing and wouldnt change a thing. My patients / clients make it all worth while!
Placements have been on the whole very good. I've learnt a lot and been able to see a lot and see where I would like to end up in my career. I've had some difficult points on placement but if anything this has just shown me that I have needed to be more upfront and Advocate for others (ie students in the years below me). And from the placements I have not enjoyed as much as others, I've actually learnt a lot more from them in some aspects.
The theory is difficult and it's a case of being very organised to fit everything in (I also work part time from 0-30 hours a week whilst in university).
But it is doable and not only rewarding but you do have a sense of job satisfaction and that's what I'd like... to be able to enjoy going to work. Not hating it.
Reply 4
Original post by deviant182
I am in third year (final year). I have 9 months left and I can't believe it's come round so quick. I'm now looking and applying for jobs for finishing in 9 months time.
I have stressed and I have had my little breakdowns etc but it's all worth that. I love nursing and wouldnt change a thing. My patients / clients make it all worth while!
Placements have been on the whole very good. I've learnt a lot and been able to see a lot and see where I would like to end up in my career. I've had some difficult points on placement but if anything this has just shown me that I have needed to be more upfront and Advocate for others (ie students in the years below me). And from the placements I have not enjoyed as much as others, I've actually learnt a lot more from them in some aspects.
The theory is difficult and it's a case of being very organised to fit everything in (I also work part time from 0-30 hours a week whilst in university).
But it is doable and not only rewarding but you do have a sense of job satisfaction and that's what I'd like... to be able to enjoy going to work. Not hating it.

Congrats just one year away!! What did you most enjoy and hate about the placements, how was talking to patients?and how did you manage to stay organised.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Student161
Hello I am a currently in year 13 and hope to be going uni next year, but I am not as enthuatic as I was on the course,which is nursing (adult). I appreciate it if anyone doing a nursing course share their experience if they regret/ enjoy the course. How the placement was for you and if they were in my position would you chose nursing again? Thanks xx

No one can tell you what is the right thing to do in this situation, whether you will enjoy the course or whether you will find it manageable. It really is a decision you need to come to by yourself. You will find people who have either loved or hated the course, but they are not you and have never been in your position.

If you are having serious doubts then I would recommend taking some time out to get some more work experience, do some more volunteering and generally get a better idea of what your role will involve and whether it suits you.
Congrats just one year away!! What did you most enjoy and hate about the placements, how was talking to patients? (honestly) and how did you manage to stay organised.

I really enjoyed talking to the patients. Most of them just want to ask you about how you're finding it, what your course is like, why you chose to do it.. and then you usually get the inevitable "I couldn't do what you're doing.. your an angel!"
Your patients are there because they need help and need looking after, so it's just about talking to them and building up that rapport. It's amazing that no matter a person's age or circumstance you will always find you have something in common to talk about.

Organisation is so important in nursing, it's all about realising that you don't have the same time as other typical students have.
I have a wall calender in my study and I have a diary. I keep track of days I'm working, days I'll need to have off to submit assignments, days that I'm on placement etc and when my deadlines are and how long it will take me to do them.

There's always support available if you need it and many universities are really understanding of the pressures health care students face.
Reply 7
We are all different. Nothing could of swayed me not to do nursing. I've waned to do it for aslong as I could speak honestly. I got into healthcare just to see it front line and hope I hadn't got this false perception of it. I've been doing it 7 months now so not long and even in that short space of
Time I do sometimes feel completely overwhelmed and way out of my depth. I start my second placement Monday and If I'm being honest I really not looking forward to it (I can't explain why) and I wasn't looking forward to my first. But I absolutely loved my first. I think it's more anxiety as to why I don't get excited about it. I think what I'm trying to say if I think your mind can play tricks sometimes. All this aside I love it. Even though I feel like I've been writing the same horrible essay for about 10 years I genuinely love it. I get stressed I get tired and it's only 7 short months but it's an experience il never forget. If you don't feel like it may not be for you maybe look at trying to spend some time with a nurse (volunteering etc). May take you a little longer but it's better than wasting your time applying for something you are going to dislike
Reply 8
Thanks everyone for the advice!! :smile:

I feel like I am not ready right now, tend to freeze up when I meet new people (complete oppsite of what am really like...truss) But does the course itself give you the oppurtunity to build up as a person and can a shy person be a "good" nurse.

I hear about the dread about placements :s-smilie: but what exactly happens in one like what do you do? Much appreciated xx
(edited 7 years ago)
My friend is similar. She's shy and quiet and somewhat reserved.
But placements are giving her the confidence and experience.
And she's enjoying the course.
I do recommend working as a hca either before you apply or if you get in, during the course. It helps massively and it builds up your confidence and skills as you go along.

What you do on placement will slightly differ from one area to the next. But in general you will be doing personal care, helping to change and clean down beds. You will be doing a person's clinical observations, doing documentation. You may get to observe operations. You may get chance to do injections, you will be administering medications and doing med rounds. It's all dictated by the area you're in, the field of nursing that youre doing and what the nurse does in that area.
Reply 10
What is the role of a hca?

Yep one think I am worried about is my confident, can I take on the challenges of being mentally pressered. I am struggling on if it's for me?

But I love the rewarding aspect in the long term that can come with nursing in terms of helping people and caring for them :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
The workload is vile, the financial strain is vile, the strain on your relationships (friends/family/partners) is awful. (Those that matter will understand!)

But I wouldn't change it! The moments where you get to really make a difference to people's lives make it all worthwhile. When you make a decision that makes someone's day a bit better or adapt care to improve recovery etc.

The emotional impact of holding someone's hand when they pass is huge but it's such a privilege. Being part of people's lives for a tiny window is the most amazing thing.

If you feel any of this - do it. It's all worth it in the end!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by ltaylor1987
The workload is vile, the financial strain is vile, the strain on your relationships (friends/family/partners) is awful. (Those that matter will understand!)

But I wouldn't change it! The moments where you get to really make a difference to people's lives make it all worthwhile. When you make a decision that makes someone's day a bit better or adapt care to improve recovery etc.

The emotional impact of holding someone's hand when they pass is huge but it's such a privilege. Being part of people's lives for a tiny window is the most amazing thing.

If you feel any of this - do it. It's all worth it in the end!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

But also it's not same for everyone. It depends what people are like at managing their time and how they are academically and also how they are as a person really. I've known a few nurses get confused as to what all the fuss is about they found it fairly easy dare I say it! Advice I was given is to never listen to others negativity because it's your OWN experience and what someone might feel awful about you may feel the opposite
... can a shy person be a "good" nurse?

Yes they can make an excellent nurse!

I was very shy when I started and I still am daunted when talking in front of large groups but I believe my shyness helped me in developing great rapport with service users and led to very therapeutic relationships. You will have to be brave sometimes and stick up for people (patients and colleagues) but this will come with experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending