The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Do you have a link to the medinterviews MMI course, I can't seem to find it
Original post by nu7
If you change a uni choice to another, can you change the uni you changed to?

No, you can only change each choice once.
Reply 1482
Original post by KaiKabz007
Do you have a link to the medinterviews MMI course, I can't seem to find it

http://medinterview.com/medicine-course/

I think its integrated into the course as a whole
Original post by yukicookie
No, you can only change each choice once.

Even if you call ucas?
Original post by nu7
Even if you call ucas?

I believe so.
Reply 1485
Looking at Some of these grades, i'd say my dreams are over.
I'm still in Year 11, Unfortunately i had to take English, math and Science 1 year early in year 10, which btw was a big horrendous failure, and now im stuck with 2 B's and a C in math. I am resitting Math and English to Get those A*s back but i know Medical Schools and even Colleges look down on resits, For My other Subjects (french, history, ict, media, additional science) I will get those A-A*S. I Wanna know if there's still a chance for me to become a doctor, i've never really envisioned myself as anything else :frown:
Original post by Waqar_
I'm still in Year 11, Unfortunately i had to take English, math and Science 1 year early in year 10, which btw was a big horrendous failure, and now im stuck with 2 B's and a C in math. I am resitting Math and English to Get those A*s back but i know Medical Schools and even Colleges look down on resits, For My other Subjects (french, history, ict, media, additional science) I will get those A-A*S. I Wanna know if there's still a chance for me to become a doctor, i've never really envisioned myself as anything else :frown:

Yeah you'll be fine. Definitely resit and focus on getting those A's and A*s because it will be harder but not impossible to get into med school with Bs and Cs in core subjects. But trust me, people have gotten into med schools with worse GCSEs than you, it's just about applying to your strengths which you'll learn more about next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Waqar_

Its a good idea to resit Maths and English, try and get at least As which will put you in a good position.

GCSE's aren't nearly as important if you can get a good UKCAT score. A top UKCAT alongside "average" GCSE grades ( e.g A/B ) can secure you 4 interviews.

Don't worry too much, just focus on getting the highest grades you can this year which will give you more options when choosing a uni. Also try and get some work experience sorted as it can take a while and you will have more time now than during a levels.

Best of luck:smile:
Reply 1488
Original post by nomophobia
Yeah you'll be fine. Definitely resit and focus on getting those A's and A*s because it will be harder but not impossible to get into med school with Bs and Cs in core subjects. But trust me, people have gotten into med schools with worse GCSEs than you, it's just about applying to your strengths which you'll learn more about next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

I Know, I have always been a straight A student, Pressure just got to me during the examinations but the B in science will be the only B (lol) and the rest A-A*s. Thanks, that really helped with the stress and abjection! :biggrin:
Reply 1489
Original post by HopelessMedic
Its a good idea to resit Maths and English, try and get at least As which will put you in a good position.

GCSE's aren't nearly as important if you can get a good UKCAT score. A top UKCAT alongside "average" GCSE grades ( e.g A/B ) can secure you 4 interviews.

Don't worry too much, just focus on getting the highest grades you can this year which will give you more options when choosing a uni. Also try and get some work experience sorted as it can take a while and you will have more time now than during a levels.

Best of luck:smile:

Thanks, for the work experience however, i visited a pharmacy ( which i know isn't as suitable as a hospital) and i know my school has the evidence of work experience, how would you provide evidence for work experience in interviews? - do you ask your work placement employers to sign for evidence when you're doing it independently?
Original post by Waqar_
Thanks, for the work experience however, i visited a pharmacy ( which i know isn't as suitable as a hospital) and i know my school has the evidence of work experience, how would you provide evidence for work experience in interviews? - do you ask your work placement employers to sign for evidence when you're doing it independently?

Apparently the best way is to get them to write a little bit about what you did, then date&sign it on letter head paper. But it might not be necessary
Original post by Waqar_
I Know, I have always been a straight A student, Pressure just got to me during the examinations but the B in science will be the only B (lol) and the rest A-A*s. Thanks, that really helped with the stress and abjection! :biggrin:

A B in science might also cause a few issues but ah well, what can you do? Honestly though it is about applying to your strengths, when you get to year 13 and you've done the UKCAT and got Your predictions for A2 you can see where you can and can't apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Waqar_

Plymouth is always an option, they only want 7 C's at GCSE! Just focus on doing well in your exams this year, and eventually getting a high UKCAT score and you should be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1493
Original post by nomophobia
A B in science might also cause a few issues but ah well, what can you do? Honestly though it is about applying to your strengths, when you get to year 13 and you've done the UKCAT and got Your predictions for A2 you can see where you can and can't apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was appalled when i saw that since i had been getting straight A*'s for all the mocks these past years, I checked the results sheet and it was 1 UMS point of an A, The remark hasn't come back yet so the teacher believes it is very unlikely that it has gone up :angry:
Original post by Natalierm2707
Your predicted grades will have been submitted by your school, you have no control over what they submit for you in that respect (obviously if you did everyone would just put A*A*A*).

yea, i actually understand that, but the thing is I have asked my teachers about my predictions and they are saying different things and I am now very confused. Is it possible to phone up UCAS to ask them about my predictions?
Original post by Waqar_

If you really want it go for it, just get lots of voluntary and work experience, good alevel grades and prepare for ukcat a good couple if months in advance. If everything else about your stats etc is great, some may overlook the fact you resat GCSEs and there are probably some unis in England that don't mind anyway :smile:
Original post by betweenalaska
yea, i actually understand that, but the thing is I have asked my teachers about my predictions and they are saying different things and I am now very confused. Is it possible to phone up UCAS to ask them about my predictions?

Honestly because there is nothing you can do now about it you are better just leaving it. if it is going to be the difference between an interview not unfortunately the damage may already be done.
1 thing I learnt is teachers dont tell the truth always about predicted grades, and sometimes they themselves have very little control over it.
Original post by Cigarsonice
I got 1A*, 5As and 5Bs. I was really frustrated with my results. Is there still a possibility of me doing medicine because I am predicted A* A* A at A2. I have volunteered at an NHS trust and a Biomedical Lab in a hospital for about a week each. I've struggled to find a job or volunteer work where I live but am thinking of doing Gold Duke of Edinburgh? But I really am against it (not a fan of camping) Are there any other extra curricular possibilities for medicine or just will look on any university application?

NCS is another option - however you have to be under 18 to do it, but you may be able to do it this half term if you're not 18 yet. I think there's a bit of camping in it but I can't really suggest anything else and it will be easier than gold DofE

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 1A*, 5As and 5Bs. I was really frustrated with my results. Is there still a possibility of me doing medicine because I am predicted A* A* A at A2. I have volunteered at an NHS trust and a Biomedical Lab in a hospital for about a week each. I've struggled to find a job or volunteer work where I live but am thinking of doing Gold Duke of Edinburgh? But I really am against it (not a fan of camping) Are there any other extra curricular possibilities for medicine or just will look on any university application?

Just out of interest how are you predicted A*A*A? It seems strange to be predicted so high based of GCSE's

You can get into medicine. Avoid the GCSE heavy uni', get a high UKCAT and you will be able to get interviews at least. Easier said than done ofc, but there's nothing stopping you

EDIT: Don't do DofE just for medicine, its better to do something you enjoy
(edited 7 years ago)

Have you tried to get volunteer work at a charity shop? They are always desperate for volunteers, and it actually provides a lot of skills that med schools like (e.g. thinking on your feet, compassion, etc.) :smile:

As another person said, NCS is really good!

But then again, extra curriculars usually aren't all that important, just enough to show that you're a rounded person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending