The Student Room Group

My current sixth form dilemma

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MadWolf
Hey. Its been a while since i started this thread. I decided to move but i can still go back on my decision. I have to decide by friday.

Care for a chat?

I would make a plan on if you go or not. If you go, make the best out of the opportunity. If you don't go, still do your best and try to get involved in politics in other ways. Write letters to MPs about stuff you care about etc etc - there's loads of information on how you can get involved. Politics involves a lot of aspects of life so there's lots of room for stuff.
Reply 21
Original post by Kiritsugu
I would make a plan on if you go or not. If you go, make the best out of the opportunity. If you don't go, still do your best and try to get involved in politics in other ways. Write letters to MPs about stuff you care about etc etc - there's loads of information on how you can get involved. Politics involves a lot of aspects of life so there's lots of room for stuff.

Huh ok. I've been at the new sixth form for a little bit now and i think that they have a fairly decent politics department (debates and such like are abundant
Original post by MadWolf
Huh ok. I've been at the new sixth form for a little bit now and i think that they have a fairly decent politics department (debates and such like are abundant

If you know they're abundant, does that mean you've already involved yourself in them?
Reply 23

Though i feel that the english literature course isnt as good due to how much of a focus they put on shakespeare and webster (webster is a bit like shakespeare in case you dont know who he is). I like the more contemporary stuff you know. Like the great gatsby or frankenstien or something by steinbeck. Have you done english lit? Did you find shakespeare ok?
Reply 24
If you know they're abundant, does that mean you've already involved yourself in them?

I've been to a feminist forum thing just out of curiosity. It seems quite interesting.
Reply 25

Not that i'm a feminist or anything and i'm not saying that it's bad to be a feminist or anything. TBH I don't really know a lot about gender politics which is why i showed up. Wanted to learn a bit more.

Sorry just trying to avoid getting into any arguments. lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MadWolf
Politics is a passion of mine. I spend pretty much all of my free time geeking out over the presidential race or looking up old world leaders and the like. I think that if i did an A-level in this subject i'd achieve really well since it's something that i'm so fascinated by. If i did it i would certianly find it easier than my other subjects, maybe even to the extent that i'd get an A*. I'd have to move schools if i wanted to do this because my school doesn't offer it.

This would make a lot of sense; moving schools so that i could get better grades and open up my choices for uni, but the thing is, i really don't want to leave. I've got a lot of friends at that school and i tried doing the thing where you compare pros and cons and ended up being heavily biased. When i ended up deciding to leave i started crying almost immediatly. On an emotional level i obviously wanna stay. But i don't know. Is it worth it?

Edit: I'm in year 12. I'm a month into my course and i'm considering moving schools. Just to clarify

Hey - I was in your position. Not with Politics but with Sports Science. I would personally suggest you move - you need to do what makes you happy. Moving will open up new friendships and A-level politics... so personally Inwas glad I moved as I met tons of new people and I'm doing the course I love! Anymore questions feel free to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27

A lot of people are telling me to stay at my old school. I think i may have told them a few things i haven't told you. It will be interesting to see if you change your opinion.

I live nearer the old school than the new one. The only way i'd get to the new school is if my parents paid money to catch the train over the next two years. All in all it'll cost £1500 to go there and back every day. Optionally i could go with my mum but i'd have to go with my autistic brother and that woulden't be any fun at all.

I don't feel that the courses are as good there either. Its just as good a school but i prefer the courses of the old one. If i'd stayed (doing his, eng lit and econ) i'd be able to do the cold war which i prefer and also be doing an english course which i prefer. The english course is better because there is less webster/shakespeare and also you get to choose your own coursework. Economics is alright with the teachers because i quite like them, though i can see myself getting bored of it.

What do you think? Did i change your mind? My friends tell me this is enough to push to get them to stay but what do you think?

PS: Thanks for all the help btw
Original post by MadWolf

I live nearer the old school than the new one. The only way i'd get to the new school is if my parents paid money to catch the train over the next two years. All in all it'll cost £1500 to go there and back every day. Optionally i could go with my mum but i'd have to go with my autistic brother and that woulden't be any fun at all.

I don't feel that the courses are as good there either. Its just as good a school but i prefer the courses of the old one. If i'd stayed (doing his, eng lit and econ) i'd be able to do the cold war which i prefer and also be doing an english course which i prefer. The english course is better because there is less webster/shakespeare and also you get to choose your own coursework. Economics is alright with the teachers because i quite like them, though i can see myself getting bored of it.

What do you think? Did i change your mind? My friends tell me this is enough to push to get them to stay but what do you think?

PS: Thanks for all the help btw

Don't switch because of your friends or your teachers. Sometimes it's good to switch because you get used to switching and moving around - which you'll do a lot in your life.

I don't understand the following:
Original post by MadWolf
The only way i'd get to the new school is if my parents paid money to catch the train over the next two years. All in all it'll cost £1500 to go there and back every day. Optionally i could go with my mum but i'd have to go with my autistic brother and that woulden't be any fun at all.

I wouldn't say it's exactly fair to say which schools offer better courses at the moment, especially for one topic like the cold war. I'm sure the other one would cover that, and even if it didn't, you could learn about it yourself through amusing mediums. It's only been a month. Even though you can choose your own coursework, who can say whether it will be successful or not. As for the less shakespeare thing, I don't know how you came to that conclusion (what if there's more shakespeare later) but in studying English Literature, you should have been prepared for kicking shakespeare's a$$ - I mean kicking the studying of his a---nevermind.

But yeah, coursework will always be either you get it or you don't, at least that's how it was for me. If you're getting bored of economics but if it's still relevant enough to you, you should try spicing it up a bit. Don't let it be boring, make it funny - if you make it funny and interesting, chances are you're going to make lots of little associations and that will really help when it comes to memorising key facts and details.

If you did switch, do Econ, Eng Lit/Eng Lang, His, and Politics if you can - shouldn't you be doing 4 subjects right now anyway in your current school?

Anyway, it seems one of your biggest problem is the travelling expenses and your brother or something, who, I don't know your circumstances but maybe be sympathetic to him idk.

I could easily see you making the most of your subjects, but it seems family problems strikes again. If money isn't an issue, I would switch depending on:
- which school has better academic teaching - Objectively
- which school has more extra curricular activities etc - Objectively
- which school has more interesting courses - Subjectively and Objectively
- which courses will help you on later in life, in your career for example - Objectively and Subjectively

Oh and if my help or words were of any use, you're welcome.
Reply 29
Don't switch because of your friends or your teachers. Sometimes it's good to switch because you get used to switching and moving around - which you'll do a lot in your life.

I don't understand the following:

I wouldn't say it's exactly fair to say which schools offer better courses at the moment, especially for one topic like the cold war. I'm sure the other one would cover that, and even if it didn't, you could learn about it yourself through amusing mediums. It's only been a month. Even though you can choose your own coursework, who can say whether it will be successful or not. As for the less shakespeare thing, I don't know how you came to that conclusion (what if there's more shakespeare later) but in studying English Literature, you should have been prepared for kicking shakespeare's a$$ - I mean kicking the studying of his a---nevermind.

But yeah, coursework will always be either you get it or you don't, at least that's how it was for me. If you're getting bored of economics but if it's still relevant enough to you, you should try spicing it up a bit. Don't let it be boring, make it funny - if you make it funny and interesting, chances are you're going to make lots of little associations and that will really help when it comes to memorising key facts and details.

If you did switch, do Econ, Eng Lit/Eng Lang, His, and Politics if you can - shouldn't you be doing 4 subjects right now anyway in your current school?

Anyway, it seems one of your biggest problem is the travelling expenses and your brother or something, who, I don't know your circumstances but maybe be sympathetic to him idk.

I could easily see you making the most of your subjects, but it seems family problems strikes again. If money isn't an issue, I would switch depending on:
- which school has better academic teaching - Objectively
- which school has more extra curricular activities etc - Objectively
- which school has more interesting courses - Subjectively and Objectively
- which courses will help you on later in life, in your career for example - Objectively and Subjectively

Oh and if my help or words were of any use, you're welcome.

Jesus Christ!

I just made the worst decision of my life. I left and now its horrible!

I don't know what to do... the old school isn't accepting me back.

Also, I'm doing no better at Politics and it's also completely boring.

I don't know what to say to my old school for them to accept me back.
Reply 30
Original post by MadWolf
Jesus Christ!

I just made the worst decision of my life. I left and now its horrible!

I don't know what to do... the old school isn't accepting me back.

Also, I'm doing no better at Politics and it's also completely boring.

I don't know what to say to my old school for them to accept me back.

Wish i'd had just stayed...
Original post by MadWolf

Calm down. It certainly is not the worst decision you'll ever make.

List the 5 most biggest problems you're having at the moment. There's no harm in doing so. Let's try and solve them. If you cannot list 5 problems or if they're not big enough, that might suggest you're overthinking this and being paranoid.
Original post by MadWolf

Sad to see you are having second thoughts, do what Kiritsugu is suggesting, and I would also add that you should start to really apply yourself to schoolwork, it helps a lot i found.
Reply 33
Original post by an_atheist
Sad to see you are having second thoughts, do what Kiritsugu is suggesting, and I would also add that you should start to really apply yourself to schoolwork, it helps a lot i found.

I'm trying to persuade them to take me back. Is it worthwhile? Do schools ever change their minds about this sort of thing?
Original post by MadWolf
I'm trying to persuade them to take me back. Is it worthwhile? Do schools ever change their minds about this sort of thing?

At this point I would call it a wasted effort. At this point I would suggest just trying make the new school work, it does a bit of work on your part.
I can't really comment on the last question, but I wouldn't have thought so.
Reply 35
Original post by an_atheist
At this point I would call it a wasted effort. At this point I would suggest just trying make the new school work, it does a bit of work on your part.
I can't really comment on the last question, but I wouldn't have thought so.

Why are schools like this?

Quick Reply

Latest