The Student Room Group

Making Brexit support treason?!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/168882

Thoughts on this? Is this not overly authoritarian?
Original post by Uni12345678

Very much so authoritarian, people are entitled to their own opinions on this
Reply 2
It's disappointing that this petition was ever started, let alone that it has collected 3.5k signatures - despite that I am tempted to add my name out of curiosity. It'd be interesting to see if anyone would debate in favour should this reach parliament.
Original post by Some_Mug
It's disappointing that this petition was ever started, let alone that it has collected 3.5k signatures - despite that I am tempted to add my name out of curiosity. It'd be interesting to see if anyone would debate in favour should this reach parliament.

That's interesting- anyone voting in favour within parliament would clearly be infringing the idea of democracy, going towards the idea of a dictatorship...
It's absolutely pathetic, as bad as the morons calling for a second referendum.
Original post by Zargabaath
It's absolutely pathetic, as bad as the morons calling for a second referendum.

Hmmmmm I disagree. I think the idea of the 2nd referendum wasn't as bad as this- the second referendum wasn't a bad idea simply because the 1st referendum badly informed the public and made some ridiculous promises, and as a consequence many leave voters changed their mind. Clearly in a democracy we shouldn't be getting SO MUCH hate for a decision that was supposedly planned carefully.

This petition seems to go above and beyond the basic levels of human decency- accepting each others opinions and respecting them.
Reply 6
Hmmmmm I disagree. I think the idea of the 2nd referendum wasn't as bad as this

I'll second that but primarily on the grounds that the result was so close. I believe Farage was going to call for a second referendum if the result was any closer than 60/40 on the grounds that the margin would be insignificant. That should apply both ways.

Re. the hoodwinking tactics of the Leave campaign, the facts were out there for anyone that ever learned how to use Google - the worst thing is how ready people were to forego their own research.
and as a consequence many leave voters changed their mind

I don't know anyone who voted Leave and listened to the politicians. Everyone I know who supported Brexit was acting on their own principles, not because of some smug git in a suit. With things like the NHS, I didn't even see that as a promise but as an illustration of Farage's point.

I fear this is an example of a slightly sweeping statement.

Also, your thread title is very misleading. The petition does not want to make Brexit support treason, it wants to make EU support treason.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
I don't know anyone who voted Leave and listened to the politicians. Everyone I know who supported Brexit was acting on their own principles, not because of some smug git in a suit. With things like the NHS, I didn't even see that as a promise but as an illustration of Farage's point.

I fear this is an example of a slightly sweeping statement.

Also, your thread title is very misleading. The petition does not want to make Brexit support treason, it wants to make EU support treason.

Well if they voted based on their own information and did not listen to politicians, then I think that is more reason to support the idea of a second referendum- clearly they were not informed enough then!! if all of us started voting based on our 'own principles' we would never get a suitable result because we wouldn't know what they consequences of our voting might be.

With regards to the title, the petition has clearly arisen as a result of brexit. If you do not support brexit, you are committing a crime, according to the petition, because if you support the EU, you definitely do not support brexit!

What do you expect from remoaners and the so called progressive left?

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's sad that people are abusing the petition system as if it's nothing but a joke
Well if they voted based on their own information and did not listen to politicians, then I think that is more reason to support the idea of a second referendum- clearly they were not informed enough then!! if all of us started voting based on our 'own principles' we would never get a suitable result because we wouldn't know what they consequences of our voting might be.

With regards to the title, the petition has clearly arisen as a result of brexit. If you do not support brexit, you are committing a crime, according to the petition, because if you support the EU, you definitely do not support brexit!

The thing is - why would they want to waste time having a 2nd referendum when they've already won?

If you've just won the marathon, would you ask the organisation to do a rerace? And would you expect your competitors to request one?
Original post by CherishFreedom
The thing is - why would they want to waste time having a 2nd referendum when they've already won?

If you've just won the marathon, would you ask the organisation to do a rerace? And would you expect your competitors to request one?

Of course not, but when somebody has won a race and you know it was probably a flook (the result was so close) you wouldn't expect them to go round saying all the losers are stupid. you'd at least expect them to treat you with basic human decency.
Original post by Some_Mug
I'll second that but primarily on the grounds that the result was so close. I believe Farage was going to call for a second referendum if the result was any closer than 60/40 on the grounds that the margin would be insignificant. That should apply both ways.

Re. the hoodwinking tactics of the Leave campaign, the facts were out there for anyone that ever learned how to use Google - the worst thing is how ready people were to forego their own research.

It should apply both ways - a second referendum straight after is stupid no matter which side is calling for it. If leave lost and then called for another referendum they would be facing the same derision that some remain supporters are getting now.

Plus, a margin that big is very unlikely. Referendums shouldn't need a landslide for the result to be taken seriously.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
It should apply both ways - a second referendum straight after is stupid no matter which side is calling for it. If leave lost and then called for another referendum they would be facing the same derision that some remain supporters are getting now.

Plus, a margin that big is very unlikely. Referendums shouldn't need a landslide for the result to be taken seriously.

But then think about it, say you were gathering data to see what percentage of people like a certain song vs. How many don't. Say you got almost the entire country to vote on this matter. If you got the same results that this referendum got, you could not publish the results and come up with a suitable conclusion, you would almost certainly have to repeat the experiment because your fellow scientists would laugh at your gullibility in believing such close results. If we can't publish findings like this with certainty in a scientific paper, why should we go along with them for an issue that affects the country and its people for many years to come??
Of course not, but when somebody has won a race and you know it was probably a flook (the result was so close) you wouldn't expect them to go round saying all the losers are stupid. you'd at least expect them to treat you with basic human decency.

I think you know obviously not every Brexiters are like that. You shouldn't judge everyone just because some people act this way. I for one understood the arguments of the remain side but voted for Brexit because remaining in the EU is against my personal principles (I believe in sovereignty and the freedom to make laws which suits our national interests).

When people insult you, it shows more about themselves than the person they are mocking. Try not to let it get under your skin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending