The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ComputerMaths97
You keep infering that I'm not allowed a hobby, why?

nobody has inferred this ...

do you have some type of semantic -pragmamtic language disorder ?
No we can only pay for a higher amount of daily usage. I already paid for the maximum.

I'm guessing you've never been at university LOL

Nobody at all, does nothing but study at University. That's ridiculous, I live at my Uni, am I supposed to study 16 hours, then sleep, then repeat? No, so stop being so ignorant. You're saying I'm not allowed a hobby, how silly.

Rocket League does, and it's the only game I would like to play. Thanks for your misinformed reply.

That was quite evidently a troll, nobody actually thinks like that. This uni doesn't have many gamers but yes they do and no nobody plays this game so nobody could help.

Really not, but keep on making presumptions.

You are hardly the first person who will have had this issue and others who have faced it cna tell you if and what solution they found. All you seem interested in is moaning and not actually finding a solution, even if one exists.
I'm sure this is not a problem for most students at the type of University I'm at, but I'm a gamer. In my spare time, I don't do much more than play games. Throughout the whole summer, I had started to even earn some money from these games.

Anyway, on to the point. In our University (that we live in), the wifi is bad. Really bad. I mean I can get 30 down and 15 up on a regular basis, but it's so incredibly inconsistent. I am unable to play any form of game that requires a constant sending/ recieving of data. It just lags consistently.

My only issue is, there seems to be nothing I can do about it. I'm supposed to just live with it. This is my main hobby, it's how I keep myself happy, so when you double the amount of revision I do a day, you better allow me some decent internet access. But they haven't, and I'm finding it incredibly hard to be productive because I'm always in a bad mood. Watching all my mates play games whilst I have to sit here and study, then when I finally get some free time I can't even join them.

I went to the IT office and they said it's to do with traffic, which is clearly a lie because I tried playing at 4:00am and it was still unplayable.

Why is this form of hobby not taken seriously? No university would ban people from reading books completely irrelevant to their course on their spare time, or playing a sport. In fact, they tend to encourage it. Yet my hobby, playing over the internet with friends, it given no recognision at all.

There has to be something I can do, I know as a fact I won't be able to cope for long like this, but of course I'm trying. Anyone been in a similar situation?

Maybe try playing games on a game console such as nintendo,ps4 or x box which does not require internet. O r get your own internet router, try and get a good deal or maybe if you share housing with someone get a wifi router and share the cost of it together equally, so its more affordable?
Reply 43
No my problem isn't that it was unexpected. It's that it's even a thing. Universities invest 100x more into helping students get drunk (bars, party rooms, drinks, all on site) than letting us play a game we enjoy with friends for a couple hours - does that not seem the slightest bit weird to you?

What's speedtest reporting?

Christ's has just under 100Mbps up and down. Not sure about the ping. But I do know the Mbps rates weren't that fast at the beginning - needed turning off/on again apparently...
(edited 7 years ago)
No my problem isn't that it was unexpected. It's that it's even a thing. Universities invest 100x more into helping students get drunk (bars, party rooms, drinks, all on site) than letting us play a game we enjoy with friends for a couple hours - does that not seem the slightest bit weird to you?

Not really tbh, I mean that's what most students are into right? In fact, it's why a lot of people move out frm their home and go to a 'foreign' university (as in away from their home).

Nah I study Computer Science :biggrin:

I get wound up because I see investment into other hobbies, whilst I sit here not being able to persue mine. If nobody could do their hobbies, say everyone had to just give up fun for uni, then I wouldn't of got annoyed at all. Just seems silly that all other hobbies are covered and invested into :biggrin:

I apologise that you have to suffer from the tiresome silliness of this other guy you are responding to. He doesn't seem to have a clue about competitive gaming... Anyone who takes a hobby seriously is gonna be pretty ****ing annoyed if they can't properly do it anymore and with seemingly no justification - that is not addiction, that's called enjoying something -__-

I say this as a guy whose main hobbies are a) competitive gaming and b) cage-fighting
What uni is this curious , other than getting ur own wifi not much to be done.
Also if you dont mind asking what games do you play?
Thanks for the very informative reply :smile:

Yeah I use a hotspot, managed to persuade my parents to pay for it, I feel bad but I have even less money than them spare xD

Yeah but how is having a hooby not constructive? I study 10 hours a day, it surprises me that this world thinks my hobby just isn't important. Some people enjoy getting drunk, and this Uni has in-College bars and party rooms to literally assist in people getting drunk. Yet they can't just let me have a reliable internet connection? Seems a little backward to me, seems like my hobby just isn't valued as much.

No worries! :smile:

Yep, from what I have seen from your question, a portable hotspot seems the best option. 3G/4G is normally very reliable so that won't be an issue :smile:

Don't worry, I wasn't inferring that having a hobby is not constructive; we all have hobbies, and playing games is definitely more beneficial than getting drunk down the local bar :tongue: I was more inferring that the admins of the IT system have optimized it for university based stuff (i.e. studying, research, revision etc) and had put something in pace to stop gaming as the It people would see it as a waste of bandwidth (though I don't, gaming is good in my opinion).
Original post by jneill

Christ's has just under 100Mbps up and down. Not sure about the ping. But it's wasn't that fast at the beginning - needed turning off/on again apparently...

I know that my university (DMU) used to be slow, but then they did some upgrades and it improved things dramatically - at least 50Mbps both ways over Wifi, and at least 100Mbps over Ethernet, with some of the newer computers (with Cat6 support) getting almost gigabit speeds. Didn't try gaming though (though Youtube uploads were extremely fast).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

Christ's has just under 100Mbps up and down. Not sure about the ping. But I do know the Mbps rates weren't that fast at the beginning - needed turning off/on again apparently...

The speed tests gave incredible up and down results, but the problem was ping tests gave me ping = jitter every time, with the ping ranging from 10-100

Once I told the computer office my problem in a more formal way, an ethernet cable is doing enough to make it bareable, not ideal but I'll survive like this :biggrin:
Original post by TSR Mustafa
What uni is this curious , other than getting ur own wifi not much to be done.

Don't worry dude, a formal "complaint" + an ethernet cable seems to have done enough to give me bareable internet access :P

Original post by Anonymous
Also if you dont mind asking what games do you play?

Rocket League, nothing else. I play it to an incredibly high level, so hardly time for other games tbh :P
Nah its fine, I fixed it and am now performing better than ever academically. Please never give that advice again, I wouldn't of got into this University if I just played games and didn't study sufficient amounts. I'm not 9, I know how to manage my time, I just felt that hobbies are a necessity for my mental well being at such an intensive University.

Thats a bit like saying "Marry me you ugly prick". Either you liked my advice or you didnt.

This post is rhetorical. Just pointing out a contradiction. I like contradictions as they make me feel less stupid. I admire intelects.
Your primary school days are long gone. University is for hard work, not silly computer games.
(edited 7 years ago)
How can you be a hobbyist gamer and complain about lag when using WIFI? Have you seen the average latencies one gets using WIFI? Lag is a given when using WIFI.
huehue I got 1ms/920/950Mb over ethernet when I first arrived :innocent:

feel the struggles though, wi-fi is godawful, low res videos won't load from the far corner of my room on my phone :lol:
Original post by #ChaosKass
Your primary school days are long gone. University is for hard work, not silly computer games.

You've clearly never been to University, and you're far too ignorant to other people's interests so I'm not going to waste my time with such a fool.

Original post by MasterJack
How can you be a hobbyist gamer and complain about lag when using WIFI? Have you seen the average latencies one gets using WIFI? Lag is a given when using WIFI.

What sort of question is that. Complaining about wifi does not mean "omg I'm so surprised wifi is bad" it means "omg I hate lag" xD

Original post by Alexion
huehue I got 1ms/920/950Mb over ethernet when I first arrived :innocent:

feel the struggles though, wi-fi is godawful, low res videos won't load from the far corner of my room on my phone :lol:

Looool, Uni struggles xD
Original post by Laomedeia
Thats a bit like saying "Marry me you ugly prick". Either you liked my advice or you didnt.

This post is rhetorical. Just pointing out a contradiction. I like contradictions as they make me feel less stupid. I admire intelects.

This post is hilariously ironic I love it :biggrin: Good meme
I'm facing the same problem now and I want to understand how you fix it, I am from UCL and it is really annoying, I'm the same like you in a bad mood everyday.
I know a bunch of people will go 'mum' mode and moan about how you should just stop playing games. I've always played games and still do and I've since graduated and I'm in full time work and I still enjoy them and probably always will. You don't need to justify your hobbies to anyone just because they're not the 'norm'. I don't really have an answer since I always lived in private accommodation and used an ethernet as I wanted to avoid issues too. Just posted to wish you luck in sorting out the issue!
Original post by Frederick97
I'm facing the same problem now and I want to understand how you fix it, I am from UCL and it is really annoying, I'm the same like you in a bad mood everyday.

Pay for a data contract on mobile and use your own internet connection.

Latest

Trending

Trending