The Student Room Group

I want to drop out of uni but I'm scared

I like my flat mates but they aren't really my kind of people, it's been a month and I feel so isolated and alone still :frown: I really want to drop out but I didn't make the grades in the first place so they probably wouldn't accept me again if I reapplied... what do I do?
i dont know how much i can help you because half of it depends on your course but i felt isolated and lonely too and it takes a lot of time to get used to it so i wouldnt drop out just because of that
Reply 2
Original post by maylilv
I like my flat mates but they aren't really my kind of people, it's been a month and I feel so isolated and alone still I really want to drop out but I didn't make the grades in the first place so they probably wouldn't accept me again if I reapplied... what do I do?

Yes, they probably won't accept you the second time. If you feel like dropping out because of your flat mates then do so but you can also join societies, various events or even signing up to gym can help feel less isolated

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by maylilv
I like my flat mates but they aren't really my kind of people, it's been a month and I feel so isolated and alone still :frown: I really want to drop out but I didn't make the grades in the first place so they probably wouldn't accept me again if I reapplied... what do I do?

Hello :smile:

I'm sorry to hear that you feel like your flatmates aren't 'your kind of people' - however, it doesn't mean you can't be civil with them and enjoy your time. At the end of the day you don't 'have' to be friends with your flatmates but if you're civil, at least it's a chill environment. I'd suggest making friends off your course or by joining societies.

At the same time, you are still barely into your time at university. Do what I did when I felt I was in your position, I set myself small targets. E.g. make it to Christmas, then make it to the next break. So on and so fourth. This helped me get through and realised I could make it through.

Just like you can! You've come this far, keep pushing!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
I'm sorry to hear that you aren't getting along well with your flatmates. I have been in similar situations before and it is certainly uncomfortable. However, there are many options available to you. You don't have to be friends with your flatmates (a lot of people aren't), you just all need to be able to be civil and polite with one another, and respect the shared living areas. There will be plently of people in the flats around and thanks to the huge diversity in universities I am sure that you will be able to find people that you do get on with and can become friends with :smile: It just might take a little bit of time and for you to look slightly further out. Also don't forget that you will make friends on your course and through societies and sport clubs. These latter two are really an excellent way to meet people because you will all have shared interests and many people find that their closest friends come from these clubs.

Are you enjoying the academic side of university? If so, I would strongly advise you to not drop out. You will be out of this apartment in a few months, but you might not be able to ever go back to this university if you didn't have the grades.
Reply 5
You could always try knocking on doors in the floor below/above (or several if you have to!) Don't give up on Uni or making friends yet! You may meet people in societies, on your course, even a part time job or local community group! You could always ask for a transfer to another flat!

Quick Reply

Latest