The Student Room Group

Help! Didn't add music qualifications to UCAS

Hi everyone

I'm applying from overseas, so I didn't know too much about UCAS. I have a grade eight ABRSM qualification (grade 5 theory as well) but I didn't realise you could include that in your application! Now that I've already sent off my application, is it worth it to ask UCAS to add it back?

The staff always advise you to contact the unis afterwards but would that be necessary? I wouldn't want them to see me as careless:frown: I'm applying for a course that isn't related to music at all and none of the unis use the UCAS points. I just thought my ABRSM qualification would give me a teeny tiny bit of an edge... I'm so devastated that I didn't know about this beforehand!

Any advice? Please help><
Original post by JessicaApple
Hi everyone

I'm applying from overseas, so I didn't know too much about UCAS. I have a grade eight ABRSM qualification (grade 5 theory as well) but I didn't realise you could include that in your application! Now that I've already sent off my application, is it worth it to ask UCAS to add it back?

The staff always advise you to contact the unis afterwards but would that be necessary? I wouldn't want them to see me as careless:frown: I'm applying for a course that isn't related to music at all and none of the unis use the UCAS points. I just thought my ABRSM qualification would give me a teeny tiny bit of an edge... I'm so devastated that I didn't know about this beforehand!

Any advice? Please help><

email [email protected] with the details to be added (exam board, dates, grades and your UCAS ID etc).

When they confirm that your application has been updated notify ALL of your universities of the change. If you don't then you've changed your application and haven't notified them and any offers could be revoked for lack of disclosure (unlikely but not worth risking)
Original post by PQ
email [email protected] with the details to be added (exam board, dates, grades and your UCAS ID etc).

When they confirm that your application has been updated notify ALL of your universities of the change. If you don't then you've changed your application and haven't notified them and any offers could be revoked for lack of disclosure (unlikely but not worth risking)

Would you say the pros of adding the qualifications then telling them (risking the fact that they may think I'm careless) outweigh the cons of simply not including the qualifications? I think my referee mentioned grade 8 piano in my reference letter.
Btw I'm applying to Oxford so I'm just really worried about what they'd think...
Would you say the pros of adding the qualifications then telling them (risking the fact they may think I'm careless) outweigh the cons of simply not including the qualifications? I think my referee mentioned grade 8 piano in my reference letter.
Btw I'm applying to Oxford so I'm just really worried about what they'd think...

If you've mentioned them in your PS or reference then definitely get them added officially.

These things get overlooked regularly so it isn't a big deal to add them and notify.
Original post by PQ
If you've mentioned them in your PS or reference then definitely get them added officially.

These things get overlooked regularly so it isn't a big deal to add them and notify.

Thanks so much for you advice><

I've made so many overlooked mistakes in my application that I just feel hopeless. I've previously only added the reference number of my IELTS and not the results because I had no idea you were supposed to do both. I've asked UCAS to kindly add my results and they have done so but I've yet to inform the unis.
The referee at my school is new so she doesn't really know how UCAS works either...

If I add my ABRSM qualifications as well, I'll have to tell the unis that I forgot to add two qualifications! I'm just terrified that it'd affect my chances😭
Thanks so much for you advice><

I've made so many overlooked mistakes in my application that I just feel hopeless. I've previously only added the reference number of my IELTS and not the results because I had no idea you were supposed to do both. I've asked UCAS to kindly add my results and they have done so but I've yet to inform the unis.
The referee at my school is new so she doesn't really know how UCAS works either...

If I add my ABRSM qualifications as well, I'll have to tell the unis that I forgot to add two qualifications! I'm just terrified that it'd affect my chances😭

Don't worry

Get all the changes made and then email explaining that your referee isn't used to UCAS and you realised that a few things have been missed off (but they've now been added on by UCAS). You don't need to go into detail about what has changed - the changes will show on their systems.
Original post by PQ
Don't worry

Get all the changes made and then email explaining that your referee isn't used to UCAS and you realised that a few things have been missed off (but they've now been added on by UCAS). You don't need to go into detail about what has changed - the changes will show on their systems.

Thanks very much again. Do you think it's okay if I don't say it's because of my referee in case they get the idea that I'm blaming another person for my own carelessness? Is it alright if I simply say I'm writing to let them know that I've made slight changes to my UCAS application by adding the marks of my IELTS and ABRSM qualifications and then thank them for their kind attention?

I'm probably overthinking this and I'm sorry if I'm annoying you!:frown: Thank so much!
Thanks very much again. Do you think it's okay if I don't say it's because of my referee in case they get the idea that I'm blaming another person for my own carelessness? Is it alright if I simply say I'm writing to let them know that I've made slight changes to my UCAS application by adding the marks of my IELTS and ABRSM qualifications and then thank them for their kind attention?

I'm probably overthinking this and I'm sorry if I'm annoying you!:frown: Thank so much!

They probably wont care much either way - universities are used to applicants from other countries (assuming that's the case if you've got IELTS) applying without the same sort of support that UK applicants get. The fact that you've recognised an error and taken steps to put it right will matter more than the fact that you made a (very common) error in the first place.
Original post by PQ
They probably wont care much either way - universities are used to applicants from other countries (assuming that's the case if you've got IELTS) applying without the same sort of support that UK applicants get. The fact that you've recognised an error and taken steps to put it right will matter more than the fact that you made a (very common) error in the first place.

Thanks very very VERY much for you help! I feel more at ease now. I sure hope the universities are understanding even though they are under no obligation to be!

I'm applying as an international applicant from Hong Kong but I'm actually half British.
Reply 9
Good luck! This is a very minor mistake to make - it happens and unis know that :h:
Original post by elen90
Good luck! This is a very minor mistake to make - it happens and unis know that :h:

Thanks! I've sent an email to UCAS asking them to add the ABRSM qualifications and will send an email to the unis to let them know as soon as it's done.:smile:
I hope everything goes well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending