The Student Room Group

Council tax exemption- confused?

I'm a first year uni student who commutes from home, so do I still have to apply for council tax exemption?
Original post by queenofdarkness
I'm a first year uni student who commutes from home, so do I still have to apply for council tax exemption?

If you're over 18 and don't own/rent your home then you do not have to pay it. If you do, then you can be exempted due to your status as a full-time student.
Original post by hamzaahmad786
If you're over 18 and don't own/rent your home then you do not have to pay it. If you do, then you can be exempted due to your status as a full-time student.

Thanks for the response :smile: Its my dads house so I'm guessing I don't have to apply for exemption?
Thanks for the response :smile: Its my dads house so I'm guessing I don't have to apply for exemption?

Only if they have sent a bill with you included as luable. The council should be disregarding you for CT purposes becayse you are an FT student.

If it were just you and your Dad living in the house then he would receive a 25% single person discount on his bill because you are 'disregarded' (horrible phrase) for the purposes of council tax and there is only one adult liable at the property. If there is your Dad, you and one or more other adult, then you will still be disregarded for CT, but no discount is applicable because of your student status, i.e. your household might receive other discounts such as council tax support from your local council, etc but this is not germane to your student status.

Hope that helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
If it were just you and your Dad living in the house then he would receive a 25% single person discount on his bill because you are 'disregarded' (horrible phrase) for the purposes of council tax and there is only one adult liable at the property. If there is your Dad, you and one or more other adult, then you will still be disregarded for CT, but no discount is applicable because of your student status, i.e. your household might receive other discounts such as council tax support from your local council, etc but this is not germane to your student status.

Hope that helps.

Am I automatically exempt because I'm living at home or do I have to apply for the exemption certificate? I'm so confused lol
Am I automatically exempt because I'm living at home or do I have to apply for the exemption certificate? I'm so confused lol

If your dad is the only other adult in the house then you will need to provide the certificate to the council for him to get the 25% single person discount. Otherwise there is no discount but its just expected that you shouldn't have to contribute to council tax.

Usually, you request a Council Tax letter/exemption certificate from your University. They will often then both send you a copy of the letter AND inform your council, but it depends on the university's procedures - you might have to inform the council yourself. Best thing is to ask your student services at the University how to go about obtaining a council tax exemption letter and whether you will also need to tell the council yourself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending