The Student Room Group

PGCE Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Right I've called two schools today so hopefully I'm making some progress.

Checked the entry requirements for the course I want to do, and they don't say I need a certain amount of experience. I just need experience in at least 2 schools.

Original post by Math12345
When's the deadline?

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-training/apply-and-track/key-dates

I don't think there is a deadline in general, but you don't want to leave it too late because courses will get full. Individual courses might have their own deadlines though.
Reply 121
Hi everyone!

I'm applying for an English PGCE but currently only have 5 days worth of experience. The university I am applying to suggests that 5-10 days is required (although judging by this forum most people will have acquired 10). I want to send my application off as early as possible, within a few days of the 18th October when UCAS opens, but I won't have 10 days of experience by then. Is it worth applying and stating that I have organised another week of experience for the end of October/start of November, or waiting until I have done this experience to send off my application?
Reply 122
Original post by Math12345
When's the deadline?

There isn't a deadline as such, but applications open on 18th October. Depending on what subject you're applying for, they advise you apply as early as possible before places fill up. For popular subjects, this could be as early as Christmas.*
Question for you guys,

I am looking to start PGCE secondary application for 2017 entry for English at Wolverhampton university, I have a degree in English 2:2 but no classroom experience, I am going to write o my application that I have 2 weeks experience in a school when I do not really, when they ask for my references, I will be putting my lecturer as one reference and my previous employer as one, is there any way that they can check my fake '2 week school work experience' when I have not put that down as one of my references.
Original post by nadinelia11
Hey! I'm looking at UWTSD in swansea but not sure where else atm! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool! Cambridge, Oxford and Sussex :smile:
Original post by pandor4
Hi everyone!

I'm applying for an English PGCE but currently only have 5 days worth of experience. The university I am applying to suggests that 5-10 days is required (although judging by this forum most people will have acquired 10). I want to send my application off as early as possible, within a few days of the 18th October when UCAS opens, but I won't have 10 days of experience by then. Is it worth applying and stating that I have organised another week of experience for the end of October/start of November, or waiting until I have done this experience to send off my application?

Yes just state it on your application. The 10 day thing usually needs to be achieved by the time you start your course I think so plenty of time, as long as you have a couple of days already!
Hey guys sorry if this has been posted before, but I have found a really good website to get help with getting experience and stuff: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

I apparently qualify for a dedicated advisor and someone is calling me tomorrow morning. :smile:

Edit: I have a 1 day placement booked for next week! I get to observe some lessons, talk to school direct trainees and some newly qualified teachers!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 127
Hey guys, hope you are all getting along well with your applications. I'm currently in my final year studying maths at Queen Mary's. Only just decided on teaching so have no work xp in any sort of school environment. Have been trying to rectify this via email and phone but don't seem to be able to get any positive responses from schools. I have registered for the gov teaching. And am looking into secondary mathematics at UCL Ioe. If anyone has got any sort of advice or could assist in any way, I would really appreciate it. I just feel like I've left everything so late. Many thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zoheb
Hey guys, hope you are all getting along well with your applications. I'm currently in my final year studying maths at Queen Mary's. Only just decided on teaching so have no work xp in any sort of school environment. Have been trying to rectify this via email and phone but don't seem to be able to get any positive responses from schools. I have registered for the gov teaching. And am looking into secondary mathematics at UCL Ioe. If anyone has got any sort of advice or could assist in any way, I would really appreciate it. I just feel like I've left everything so late. Many thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you had a DBS check? If not I would apply for one asap (it can take a few weeks), you may need this before some schools will allow you to do work experience. Do you have any other experience of working with children not necessarily in a school?
Reply 129
I don't have a dbs check. Where would I be able to apply for this? I've been looking everywhere. Correct me if I am wrong but the impression I'm getting is that employers do this for you? &to further answer your question. I don't have no relevent xp what so ever. Only just realised I'm potentially graduating soon and haven't got anything. What stress!

Ps. Apologies for any rookie-ness. I'm still learning how to use this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zoheb
I don't have a dbs check. Where would I be able to apply for this? I've been looking everywhere. Correct me if I am wrong but the impression I'm getting is that employers do this for you? &to further answer your question. I don't have no relevent xp what so ever. Only just realised I'm potentially graduating soon and haven't got anything. What stress!

Ps. Apologies for any rookie-ness. I'm still learning how to use this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you might be right actually. If you can't find a school willing to apply on your behalf maybe try volunteering with something like guides, scouts, childrens sports coaching depending on whether you're wanting to teach Primary or Secondary. Then you can get a DBS check through that and you may find it easier to get school experience.

I found myself in your position last year, I decided I was ready to quit my job and go into teaching last November and I only had one week of work experience in my old primary school. Technically I could have applied and arranged some more work experience before I started the course but it all felt rushed to me so I quit my job and got a job as a TA. I'm so glad I did it now because I feel so much more ready to apply this year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 131
Hey,

I'm looking to apply for a Primary PGCE for 2017, and I'm aware that applications are accepted from 18th October but when do you recommend that I actually submit my application by? I'm only due to start my experience next week so need to get that done prior to applying, but I'm worried about possibly applying too late as I know courses are really popular and places fill up quickly.

much appreciated! :smile:
Hey there, I just posted this in the 2017/18 facebook group too but thought I should also ask here!
I'm in the middle of choosing which unis to apply to for a Primary PGCE, just wondering if anyone knows of any providers that let you do your classroom placements "at home", for example if you were from N Ireland and wanted to do your placements there but your uni was based in England. Thank you!
Original post by goldie55
Hey,

I'm not sure about who I should ask for references for my application. Is one supposed to come from a school where i've done observation? :confused:

You need 2 refrences. My first one is a lecturer/tutor at my University. And the second is a teacher I'm doing my work experience with. Hope that helps.
Original post by Anon1!
Hey,

I'm looking to apply for a Primary PGCE for 2017, and I'm aware that applications are accepted from 18th October but when do you recommend that I actually submit my application by? I'm only due to start my experience next week so need to get that done prior to applying, but I'm worried about possibly applying too late as I know courses are really popular and places fill up quickly.

much appreciated! :smile:

Depends if you're applying for a SCITT, School Direct or University route.

SCITT/Schools Direct - before the end of November, preferably eariler. One of the providers I'm applying for said that last year they closed in February.

University - aim for before Christmas. But depends on each individual University.
Reply 135
Original post by sophcle
Depends if you're applying for a SCITT, School Direct or University route.

SCITT/Schools Direct - before the end of November, preferably eariler. One of the providers I'm applying for said that last year they closed in February.

University - aim for before Christmas. But depends on each individual University.

thank youuu! That's a big help
Anyone being super keen and sending out their application this week? I'm applying for PGCE PCET English Language and Schools Direct non-salaried secondary English. (There's no SD salaried places for English in the North - so frustrating!) The PCET PGCE is my preference but both the schools I'm applying to have 6th Forms and mention that post-16 education is covered on their courses.

I went to a SCITT event last week and was advised to apply as soon as humanly possible and not worry about too many days of school experience - I'm a career changer and have 4 days so far. The other reasoning for applying so soon is that PCET PGCE bursaries are filled on a first come first served basis.

Anyone else also applying soon with minimal in-school experience?

Hope you're all feeling excited / calm / prepared for applications opening tomorrow!
Hi everyone, Ive joined here tonight and it seems like it's going to be very useful. I'm applying to do my PGCE in business and maths at the university of the west of England. My degree is in business and management which was heavily maths based. I applied extremely late last year in July and was unaccepted as I needed to do a maths subject knowledge enhancement course as they felt my degree did not include enough maths. I'm hoping this year I get a conditional offer on completion of a SKE. I'm also looking at the school direct route. I've gained 2 weeks experience which I organised myself and tomorrow I'm going for a days school experience organised through the school experience programme. I completed my professional skills tests in August so I'm good to go. Will send application of this week, fingers crossed :smile:
I'm potentially a 2018 applicant rather than 2017 as it's quite late to be getting started now, but just wanted to pick everyone on this thread's brains - does anyone know how the DBS checks work for the Schools Experience Programme? More specifically, how long does it take (and is it the school who applies for it)? Asking because I've seen a placement near me that I can book, but it's in just over two weeks and I don't know if that would give me enough time to get the check done.
Original post by Gatlema
I'm potentially a 2018 applicant rather than 2017 as it's quite late to be getting started now, but just wanted to pick everyone on this thread's brains - does anyone know how the DBS checks work for the Schools Experience Programme? More specifically, how long does it take (and is it the school who applies for it)? Asking because I've seen a placement near me that I can book, but it's in just over two weeks and I don't know if that would give me enough time to get the check done.

It's not too late for 2017!
Not sure about the DBS though..

Quick Reply