The Student Room Group

the truth about investment banking

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fleky6910
What are your normal hours and would you be allowed to take 1 or 2 days shorter , I.e 2 days where you work 7-4 or 9-5 and then catch up on other days? Also do you have to work weekends as I would like Saturday off , dont mind working Sunday. How is the pay and promotion prospects as well? Which uni did you go to by the way?

15/16 hours, no you work when you have work due.. and that's usually always

yes, you can expect to work weekends, depending on how much you have to do you will structure your weekends however you want aslong as you get work done.. but usually you don't have the luxury of choice

pay 1st year 50k base and 30-50% bonus approx.

and promotion is well standardised up till about VP, spend approx ~3 years at each stage

I attend a semi target uni
Original post by Princepieman
Read the stickied posts in this forum

Posted from TSR Mobile

This does not answer my questions.
Original post by Anonymous1502
This does not answer my questions.

Good luck then, because if you did actually read the stickied posts those questions would have been answered.
Original post by gr8wizard10

sw none
internship as much as you want

How much were you required to use Datastream and Bloomberg Terminals whilst performing tasks and did they expect you to know how to use it for your internship or were you coached on it?
15/16 hours, no you work when you have work due.. and that's usually always

yes, you can expect to work weekends, depending on how much you have to do you will structure your weekends however you want aslong as you get work done.. but usually you don't have the luxury of choice

pay 1st year 50k base and 30-50% bonus approx.

and promotion is well standardised up till about VP, spend approx ~3 years at each stage

I attend a semi target uni

Is it true that they discriminate against you if you wear brown shoes? :smile:
Original post by seismic cat
How much were you required to use Datastream and Bloomberg Terminals whilst performing tasks and did they expect you to know how to use it for your internship or were you coached on it?

depends on task, i only ever used the bbg terminal for one day, if i needed market information i had some friends down in DCM/LevFin to pull whatever data i needed and send it to me

Original post by Ze Witcher
Is it true that they discriminate against you if you wear brown shoes? :smile:

i'm quite a fan of brown shoes, i wore it most of the time.. so i doubt it.. but don't dress like a clown lol, they go quite well with a navy blue suit
Were you networking before you arrived at university, and if so how? In fact, how do you recommend to best network in the first place?

I've literally just finished my A Levels and am on a gap year currently, and don't know anyone in any part of the industry (nor do I live near London) so any advice would be really useful, thanks.
Original post by JRKinder
Were you networking before you arrived at university, and if so how? In fact, how do you recommend to best network in the first place?

I've literally just finished my A Levels and am on a gap year currently, and don't know anyone in any part of the industry (nor do I live near London) so any advice would be really useful, thanks.

yes, insight days.. did an internship before i attended uni.. reaching out to alumni and asking for some guidance

networking events are generally the go to place, and almuni from scouting linkedin
yes, insight days.. did an internship before i attended uni.. reaching out to alumni and asking for some guidance

networking events are generally the go to place, and almuni from scouting linkedin
Thanks!
What tips would you have for before entering the industry, with networking and stuff? (while at university)
Would you agree that the book 'Straight to Hell' is an accurate portrayal of the life of an IB? Is it really as amazing as it sounds, or do you feel as through the author skipped talking about a lot of the boring stuff which makes up most of the experience?
Original post by Ze Witcher
What tips would you have for before entering the industry, with networking and stuff? (while at university)

reach out to alumni, attend and make full use of meeting people at networking events

Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Would you agree that the book 'Straight to Hell' is an accurate portrayal of the life of an IB? Is it really as amazing as it sounds, or do you feel as through the author skipped talking about a lot of the boring stuff which makes up most of the experience?

ofc most these books will make it sound humorous and funny and mention the grunt work in a sarcastic way, but I'd say they are pretty accurate reflections of what life is like from various perspectives
Which website did you use to do your online assessment tests and how far ahead were you planning for them?
Reply 73
For someone looking to apply for summer internships in IBD, where is a good starting point to begin research/build up a base?
Original post by seismic cat
Which website did you use to do your online assessment tests and how far ahead were you planning for them?

jobtestprep and gradmonkey, spent 2 weeks prior to sending any apps to be able to average 80%+ on each test

Original post by Djangoo
For someone looking to apply for summer internships in IBD, where is a good starting point to begin research/build up a base?

Google is a good place to start everything
I do politics at Oxbridge, do I have any chance? Or should I consign myself to a law firm?
Original post by moronicintellect
I do politics at Oxbridge, do I have any chance? Or should I consign myself to a law firm?

yeah, just apply.. oxbridge is one of the mostly represented unis.. we have people from all different degrees
given i have no life and my entire life is just currently downtime i've read through the forums etc.. and it would seem a lot of people want to go into banking without knowing what goes on inside or don't know the truth about the here-say rumours

to the best of my ability i'll try and answer from my experience and stories from the inside any questions about hours, lifestyle etc..

can also answer questions on trading, research

how do you manage to stay awake? i do a 9-5 job, sleep 11pm-7am and I struggle to wake up in the mornings, if I sleep later than 11 then I usually struggle to stay awake during the day.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000
how do you manage to stay awake? i do a 9-5 job, sleep 11pm-7am and I struggle to wake up in the mornings, if I sleep later than 11 then I usually struggle to stay awake during the day.

coffee machines are generally free.

but tbh you just get used to it. i do sometimes take 20 min naps and what not if it's getting beyond mee.. but otherwise its generally fine.
Original post by jelly1000

Not a banker but work pretty similar hours - coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffee basically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending