The Student Room Group

Easiest way to let a guy down?

On my social media such as SC/IG/FB i do geta fair bit of guys popping up to me. we engage in conversation and stuff but if he displays that he has romantic interests in me and i dont feel the same way or the conversation get really boring then i cant be bothered talking anymore.

i feel like a ***** sometimes because i cant say it bluntly to a guys face i dont want to talk or im not interested back. instead if a guy asks do i want to meet up or hang out i used the phrase 'im sooooooooooooo behind on my uni work' or 'ill let you know when im free :smile: ' i say these simply because i dont want to hurt peoples feelings. once i told a guy i wasnt interested and he got butthurt then he insulted me :lol: (he appologized but i deleted him).

so whats the easiest way to let guys down saying your not interested in them. i can no way say it straight to their face because ill feel like the meanest person in the world (ive said to about 20 guys ill let you know when im free :rofl: :cry: )
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's either be blunt and they get the message or be nice and have the thirst continuously pour down your DMs. It is up to you.
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
It's either be blunt and they get the message or be nice and have the thirst continuously pour down your DMs. It is up to you.

im not on about TSR im on about on FB/SC/IG. I should have made that clear :lol:
Reply 3
Original post by mkap
im not on about TSR im on about on FB/SC/IG. I should have made that clear :lol:

I know, but the point still stands. You need to be blunt otherwise people won't get the message. If you say "I'll let you know when I'm free" it's giving them false hope thinking that you would get back to them eventually. It's best to give a guy a straightforward answer that you're not interested.
Reply 4
Original post by UWS
I know, but the point still stands. You need to be blunt otherwise people won't get the message. If you say "I'll let you know when I'm free" it's giving them false hope thinking that you would get back to them eventually. It's best to give a guy a straightforward answer that you're not interested.

yikes that sounds mean. im wary of peoples emotions so this will be hard
Repusively is not a word.

You have 3 choices:

1. Be nice and suffer the thirst
2. Be blunt and suffer the resulting insults
3. Claim to be a lesbian
Reply 6
Well, so say "I'm sorry, but I'm not interested, you (insert reason here)".
Reply 7
Original post by mkap
yikes that sounds mean. im wary of peoples emotions so this will be hard

Sometimes there comes a time and place where being too nice isn't the way forward. I definitely wouldn't like it if I was interested in a girl and all she said was "I'll let you know another time" and keep stringing me along giving me false hope. You're actually doing both parties a favour by being straight up with them. Yeah, some guys will be annoyed but they can't force you to date them. It's your choice, don't worry about other people.
I've had the dreaded "I'll let you know when I'm free" message and to be honest I was pretty annoyed at that, I'd rather she just told me straight up. We didn't speak after that and then after a few weeks she surprisingly tried to get with me in a club. Women are annoying sometimes XD.
Give them the wink emoji and say ''maybe someone else is worth your time''. That should do the trick
Reply 10
Original post by tengentoppa
Repusively is not a word.

You have 3 choices:

1. Be nice and suffer the thirst
2. Be blunt and suffer the resulting insults
3. Claim to be a lesbian

is it not a word, swear ive heard it being used a lot of times :lol:
Reply 11
Original post by UWS
Sometimes there comes a time and place where being too nice isn't the way forward. I definitely wouldn't like it if I was interested in a girl and all she said was "I'll let you know another time" and keep stringing me along giving me false hope. You're actually doing both parties a favour by being straight up with them. Yeah, some guys will be annoyed but they can't force you to date them. It's your choice, don't worry about other people.

good advice :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Gatewaymerge
I've had the dreaded "I'll let you know when I'm free" message and to be honest I was pretty annoyed at that, I'd rather she just told me straight up. We didn't speak after that and then after a few weeks she surprisingly tried to get with me in a club. Women are annoying sometimes XD.

i get what your saying maybe i should be straight with them.

Original post by BigMan Ting
Give them the wink emoji and say ''maybe someone else is worth your time''. That should do the trick

never tried that, but why give them a wink ???
Original post by mkap
is it not a word, swear ive heard it being used a lot of times :lol:

Sounds like a mix up between repeatedly and profusely, either of which fits.
Original post by mkap

It's a nicer way of saying there is interest, but it was never there if you get what I mean? Gives the guy some confidence knowing 'i couldn't get with her, may as well try another one'
Reply 15
Original post by BigMan Ting
It's a nicer way of saying there is interest, but it was never there if you get what I mean? Gives the guy some confidence knowing 'i couldn't get with her, may as well try another one'

oh okay. i like this one gonna go with this :five:
Be straightforward and get to the point without a lot of beating about the bush, I think. It's important to be direct and not to leave any room for doubt, but also do with a degree of kindness and consideration for the other person's feelings.
"I'm not interested in a relationship rn" is likely gentler than "don't want a relationship with you"?
Original post by mkap
i get what your saying maybe i should be straight with them.

Yeah you should tell them straight up, are these people you know irl or just random weirdos messaging you on Facebook/IG?
Original post by mkap
On my social media such as SC/IG/FB i do geta fair bit of guys popping up to me. we engage in conversation and stuff but if he displays that he has romantic interests in me and i dont feel the same way or the conversation get really boring then i cant be bothered talking anymore.

i feel like a ***** sometimes because i cant say it bluntly to a guys face i dont want to talk or im not interested back. instead if a guy asks do i want to meet up or hang out i used the phrase 'im sooooooooooooo behind on my uni work' or 'ill let you know when im free :smile: ' i say these simply because i dont want to hurt peoples feelings. once i told a guy i wasnt interested and he got butthurt then he insulted me :lol: (he appologized but i deleted him).

so whats the easiest way to let guys down saying your not interested in them. i can no way say it straight to their face because ill feel like the meanest person in the world (ive said to about 20 guys ill let you know when im free :rofl: :cry: )

Casually drop "I am going to a concert this weekend with my bf".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending