The Student Room Group

Q and A with Paralympian Jack Rutter

On Thursday 27th of October at 3.30pm, we will be having a Q and A session with Paralympian Jack Rutter. Below is his story.

"I was 18 years old when I was signed to Birmingham City FC. I had been at the club for 8 years and was just about to play in the FA Youth Cup semi final v Liverpool and sign my professional contract. However, this all changed in March 2009, when I was the victim of an unprovoked assault that ended my career in the professional game. I was hit in the back of the head and suffered a double fracture to the skull, serious brain damage and was left completely deaf in my right ear.

Initially I struggled to come to terms with the fact my dream had been taken away from me and was unsure what a future without my passion would be look like. Over the next year I was in and out of hospital, pushing myself with medical assessment, adamant that I would overcome the impairments I was battling with. I was determined to prove the doctors wrong but, although my condition improved, I couldn’t get back to the same level as before.

I was frustrated. However, 4 years after the attack, I got in touch with the charity Headway and they introduced me to cerebral palsy football. I discovered I could play for the ENG & GB 7 a side Paralympic football team and leapt at the chance to get back into the game.

I have now played in 4 major tournaments; the Intercontinental Cup, European Championships, World Championships and the Paralympics Games in Rio where I Captained the GB team. Rio in particular was incredible as I got the opportunity to play against some of the best footballers in the world, on a global stage.

I can now say that my dreams have finally came true!"

Jack’s story is an incredible one. He has shown resilience, determination and he illustrates that you should never give up on your dreams. He has rebuilt his life and remains an incredibly positive person.

Whether it's what were the Parolympics like, what are his plans for the future, or how does he stay motivated, we would love for you guys to share your questions for him in below.

Attachment not found

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JRutter
On Thursday 27th of October, we will be having a Q and A session with Olympian Jack Rutter. Below is his story.

"I was 18 years old when I was signed to Birmingham City FC. I had been at the club for 8 years and was just about to play in the FA Youth Cup semi final v Liverpool and sign my professional contract. However, this all changed in March 2009, when I was the victim of an unprovoked assault that ended my career in the professional game. I was hit in the back of the head and suffered a double fracture to the skull, serious brain damage and was left completely deaf in my right ear.

Initially I struggled to come to terms with the fact my dream had been taken away from me and was unsure what a future without my passion would be look like. Over the next year I was in and out of hospital, pushing myself with medical assessment, adamant that I would overcome the impairments I was battling with. I was determined to prove the doctors wrong but, although my condition improved, I couldn’t get back to the same level as before.

I was frustrated. However, 4 years after the attack, I got in touch with the charity Headway and they introduced me to cerebral palsy football. I discovered I could play for the ENG & GB 7 a side Paralympic football team and leapt at the chance to get back into the game.

I have now played in 4 major tournaments; the Intercontinental Cup, European Championships, World Championships and the Paralympics Games in Rio where I Captained the GB team. Rio in particular was incredible as I got the opportunity to play against some of the best footballers in the world, on a global stage.

Jack’s story is an incredible one. He has shown resilience, determination and he illustrates that you should never give up on your dreams. He has rebuilt his life and remains an incredibly positive person.

Whether it's what were the Olympics like, what are plans for the future, or how does he stay motivated, we would love for you guys to share your questions for him in below.

What position do you play and who do you think will win the league? Tottenham?

Spoiler

Original post by JRutter
On Thursday 27th of October, we will be having a Q and A session with Parolympian Jack Rutter. Below is his story.

Whether it's what were the Parolympics like, what are his plans for the future, or how does he stay motivated, we would love for you guys to share your questions for him in below.

This is such an inspiring story and I have a question :h:

Did you experience any people telling you that you couldn't achieve your dream? How did you deal with animosity/negativity from others?
Jack your story is absolutely amazing. Thank you for coming onto TSR to share your story :h:

What was your biggest fear just after your accident? Was there one particular thing that scared you the most? How did you move past that?

Now that the Paraolympics is over what is your next goal - both professionally and personally :bunny:
Thank you for doing this!

What motivated you to keep going after the attack? At what point did you decide to go back to football again, and did this help your rehabilitation?
Such an inspirational story.

If you're willing can you tell us a bit about your emotional journey from waking up in hospital to now?

Have you had a mentor or inspirational figure who has helped you through this time and how?
Original post by JRutter
On Thursday 27th of October, we will be having a Q and A session with Parolympian Jack Rutter. Below is his story.

What do you think could/should be done to raise support for Paralympic sports and athletes?
What an amazing story! You are an inspiration :h:

How have your family and friends been since the attack? Did you find some more supportive than others? What can people do to support those in a similar situation?

Do you have a strict diet to maintain your fitness? Can you have any cheat days? If so, what food do you eat to cheat with? :smile:
If you weren't doing football as a career, what would you be doing instead and why?

What advice would you give to anyone wanting to take part in paralympic sport?
Jack, thank you for sharing your story. Do you think the experiences and success of you and the many other amazing paralympians is helping to change attitudes towards people with disabilities in this country?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi Jack :wavey:

What were the oddest things about playing in the paralympics? Was there stuff you didn't expect on the pitch, in the stands, or in the village?
What an inspirational story. I saw the team play in Rio and the performance on the pitch was great :biggrin:

What was your favourite part of being captain at Rio?
(edited 7 years ago)
Very inspirational story :smile:

What got you into football in the first place? :smile:
How did you find out about the charity, and did they offer support in other regards too?
Original post by JRutter
On Thursday 27th of October, we will be having a Q and A session with Paralympian Jack Rutter. Below is his story.

Hi Jack,

I was wondering if having such a strong first name has helped you become the amazing person you are today? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Jack
Original post by Captain Jack
Hi Jack,

I was wondering if having such a strong first name has helped you become the amazing person you are today? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Jack

This guy...
Such a very inspirational story;

Is there any one person or group of people that you have met along your journey that really sticks in your mind, having been an inspiration to you to continue resiliently and ultimately captaining the Paralympic team?
Reply 17
I think a lot of people would feel tremendous resentment and negativity towards a person who took away so much, but I'd guess those feelings could also make achievement more difficult. Were you ever been able to forgive the person who assaulted you? What are your current feelings towards that person?
Thank you for sharing your amazing story.

As TSR has a lot of healthcare students and people who potentially want to go into those fields I was wondering what one piece of advice you would give to those people who might be caring for someone who is going through an injury and recovery like yours?
When you were going through those dark times mentioned in the Guardian, what was the one thing that most helped you continue on your journey?

And I just gotta add, I think you're a real inspiration.

Quick Reply

Latest