The Student Room Group

I'm so embarrassed and ashamed

I drank wayyy too much a couple of nights ago, so much that the police were called and there was an ambulance, and my parents had to pick me up in the middle of the night. I was being sick and I was the most wasted one out of my three friends. I was found lying face down alone in the high street. I feel so embarrassed and don't know how I'll live this down! The most horrible part is that I can't remember hardly anything - God knows what I was saying/doing. My parents are acting weird around me. I'm soooo so so ashamed!!!! How can I get over this??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apologise to your parents first of all, and then the people you were with. These things happen, unfortunately I have been in similar situations in the past (although thankfully no police or ambulance!). They may bring it up in future, and they may be concerned about you going out again in future, but you'll get over it and so will they. My mum still teases me about me getting too drunk. The best way to get over it is to just carry on, don't go out of your way pestering people for more information about what happened etc. Just apologise and focus on other things, and try being less wild on a night out - although that is most definitely easier said than done (at least for a lightweight like me).
apologize to everyone... donate £10 to alcohol charity...
Original post by Anonymous
I drank wayyy too much a couple of nights ago, so much that the police were called and there was an ambulance, and my parents had to pick me up in the middle of the night. I was being sick and I was the most wasted one out of my three friends. I was found lying face down alone in the high street. I feel so embarrassed and don't know how I'll live this down! The most horrible part is that I can't remember hardly anything - God knows what I was saying/doing. My parents are acting weird around me. I'm soooo so so ashamed!!!! How can I get over this??

People can do dumb things to impress friends. You only did what you thought would impress your friends. If anything, it's their fault that you got into such a state. Next time you and those friends go drinking, stop before you nearly kill yourself (it could happen). Either that, or cut off from those who put that stupid amount of peer pressure on you.

Your will have to move forward in your life and carry it out. You can apologise for your behaviour and that's all you can do.

1. Apologise to parents as said above.
2. Show proper contrition.
3. identify if you have a proper drink issue or not. If you do then get treatment and talk to AA or similar.
4. Dont repeat or if likely then wear one of those lost and found dog tags with alternative rescue contacts, such as best friend etc.
5. Get good exam results so they can be proud of you.
6. Chill and dont beat yourself up over it. Shame is a bit much amd pointless.
7. Do realise getting so sozzled puts you at risk of being taken advantage of or in danger. Do not underestimate how many nasty people there are out there. This is especially so if you are female (bad stuff happens to males as well), then its serious stuff that you could have an experience that would be life changingly bad.
8. Maybe have a better idea of your limits and give instrcutions if with friends that you have form, so they need to keep an eye on you.
(edited 7 years ago)
tell your parents how embarassed you are of yourself and apologise profusely

this is only going to properly blow over with time and you not repeating the same mistake
Embarrassing, yes, but not the end of the world. We've all been there, though perhaps not to the same extent as you. Apologise, mean it and mend your ways. Then move on.
Reply 8
Original post by Mvine001
People can do dumb things to impress friends. You only did what you thought would impress your friends. If anything, it's their fault that you got into such a state. Next time you and those friends go drinking, stop before you nearly kill yourself (it could happen). Either that, or cut off from those who put that stupid amount of peer pressure on you.

How is it his/her friends fault that OP can't handle their drink....? Nothing in the first post indicates they pressured her/him into getting in that situation
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tw1x
How is it his/her friends fault that OP can't handle their drink....? Nothing in the first post indicates they pressured he/him into getting in that situation

I know! Blaming how you are on a night out on other people is just silly, unless they were literally forcing alcohol down your throat or spiking you (most definitely not mates!). I'll hands up admit that I have been silly on nights out through my own fault. If you blame others, then you may start to develop a warped view on your relationship with alcohol. No point blaming others because only you are responsible for how you are on a night out (unless spiked etc).

OP needs to evaluate what they drink on a night out, are you eating well before you go out? Are you having water when you feel yourself getting a bit too drunk? Are you quickly downing your drink? You can still have fun and be drunk on a night out and be sensible by evaluating your behaviour and making changes where necessary.
why the hell do ppl allow themselves to get into such a state...its disgusting...
Original post by EmmaCx
Apologise to your parents first of all, and then the people you were with. These things happen, unfortunately I have been in similar situations in the past (although thankfully no police or ambulance!). They may bring it up in future, and they may be concerned about you going out again in future, but you'll get over it and so will they. My mum still teases me about me getting too drunk. The best way to get over it is to just carry on, don't go out of your way pestering people for more information about what happened etc. Just apologise and focus on other things, and try being less wild on a night out - although that is most definitely easier said than done (at least for a lightweight like me).
Thank you! Yes at the moment I'm pretty much pretending it never happened, not going to ask anyone what I was saying/doing as I really don't want to know...
Original post by the bear
apologize to everyone... donate £10 to alcohol charity...

That's a very good idea!
Thank you! Yes at the moment I'm pretty much pretending it never happened, not going to ask anyone what I was saying/doing as I really don't want to know...

Awesome way to deal with it.
Original post by Mvine001
Yeah it was stupid of me to bow down to peer pressure but it's my responsibility, next time I will hardly drink anything when I'm with them, thanks for your reply :smile:
Original post by SM6
Your will have to move forward in your life and carry it out. You can apologise for your behaviour and that's all you can do.

Yeah everyone knows I regret it I think, I'm just carrying on now like it never happened, hopefully it blows over soon :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
1. Apologise to parents as said above.
2. Show proper contrition.
3. identify if you have a proper drink issue or not. If you do then get treatment and talk to AA or similar.
4. Dont repeat or if likely then wear one of those lost and found dog tags with alternative rescue contacts, such as best friend etc.
5. Get good exam results so they can be proud of you.
6. Chill and dont beat yourself up over it. Shame is a bit much amd pointless.
7. Do realise getting so sozzled puts you at risk of being taken advantage of or in danger. Do not underestimate how many nasty people there are out there. This is especially so if you are female (bad stuff happens to males as well), then its serious stuff that you could have an experience that would be life changingly bad.
8. Maybe have a better idea of your limits and give instrcutions if with friends that you have form, so they need to keep an eye on you.

Oh no I don't think I have a problem, it's just that I'm a light-weight and was drinking on an empty stomach. Yes you're right, it's very dangerous as you don't know who people are at all when you're like that, and yep just going to try and pretend it never happened really, move on with things, thank you :smile:
Original post by doodle_333
tell your parents how embarassed you are of yourself and apologise profusely

this is only going to properly blow over with time and you not repeating the same mistake
You're right, this is one of those things that are only healed by time really
You're right, this is one of those things that are only healed by time really

You arent giving the impression you are learning anything from the experience or dealing with it well, but we all make our own mistakes.
Original post by Reality Check
Embarrassing, yes, but not the end of the world. We've all been there, though perhaps not to the same extent as you. Apologise, mean it and mend your ways. Then move on.

It's at least nice to know that it's a very common thing to get drunk and you're right, there are so much worse things that can happen and yep I'll never get like that again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending