The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official CAMBRIDGE 2017 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by threeportdrift
. The viva for a PhD occurs months after submission and outside the formal 'course dates'.

I know. I had one. It entirely depends on when you submitted for when your viva will be. And your viva date can be affected by the availability of externals. Your 'end' date will also be affected by how many corrections you have.
(edited 7 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Do they only look at your application on paper? Or can you direct them to a website where you show examples of your work?
Original post by standards
Do they only look at your application on paper? Or can you direct them to a website where you show examples of your work?

Only likely to look at the paper application. It's one of those processes very heavily driven by fairness to all candidates. You are usually fairly strictly only assessed on what you are asked to send to them, hence additional papers etc sent with any application are ignored. The same would be the case with links.
Original post by threeportdrift
Only likely to look at the paper application. It's one of those processes very heavily driven by fairness to all candidates. You are usually fairly strictly only assessed on what you are asked to send to them, hence additional papers etc sent with any application are ignored. The same would be the case with links.

Thank you, I imagined that to be the case.

I guess I'll write about my projects to show my enthusiasm and knowledge, but without qualifications or awards tied to them will they give them much weight?
Thank you, I imagined that to be the case.

I guess I'll write about my projects to show my enthusiasm and knowledge, but without qualifications or awards tied to them will they give them much weight?

Generally only the top person in a group of X gets an award, that doesn't mean that the other X-1 are without merit. Cambridge's standards are high, they play out on a global scale, but they are still attainable by mere mortals!

You need to get the best evidence you have of your aptitude and potential into the format they define for an application, but they are very good at reading those documents and making very finely weighted comparisons and judgements across the cohort.
Original post by etoile89
Does anyone have an example of a structured personal statement / research proposal for an MPhil program? I'm applying to history. I'm from the US and the structure seems to be different than what I am used to. Thanks!

Hi, did you find anything about it? I'm not from the US but I have the same problem! :smile:
Original post by seefalls
Hi, did you find anything about it? I'm not from the US but I have the same problem! :smile:

Hello :h:
I'm not sure but you might find this helpful? https://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/personal-statements-for-further-study/

I think it has got some useful advice on there :smile:
Hi all! A soon-to-be applicant for the MPhil in Modern British History. Everything is done except for the Personal Development Questionnaire. Wondering if any other History MPhil applicants had any suggestions for what to put on that. The skills I believe I'll require for the degree...I think I already have. Listed those. Those skills I can't foresee yet, well, I can't foresee them yet. So not sure what to put for that. I've basically put those that they teach in the course's core module.

I thiiiiink I have a decent shot as a contender for an offer. Applying with a 4.0/4.0 GPA (so First Equivalent) (though from a US institution), two really strong letters of recommendation, and an undergraduate thesis. Just worried they'll see my incompetently-done PDQ and run because they fear what they'd have to train in 12 months. Heh.
Does anyone have any advice on whether or not to talk about any low marks on the transcript?

Should you try to explain why they are low or does that just look like you're making excuses?
Reply 129
Does anyone have any advice on whether or not to talk about any low marks on the transcript?

Should you try to explain why they are low or does that just look like you're making excuses?

It's better to clarify. You could do this in the additional information box . Avoid mentioning negative statements in your personal statement of interest.
Reply 130
So I had applied for m.phil ESD three weeks back and I got a mail saying the decision for my application is pending and they will make a decision after they see my English language test results. Why would they do that when they can make a conditional offer. Does this mean they are not satisfied?
Thanks for information
Original post by YankToTheUK
Hi all! A soon-to-be applicant for the MPhil in Modern British History. Everything is done except for the Personal Development Questionnaire. Wondering if any other History MPhil applicants had any suggestions for what to put on that. The skills I believe I'll require for the degree...I think I already have. Listed those. Those skills I can't foresee yet, well, I can't foresee them yet. So not sure what to put for that. I've basically put those that they teach in the course's core module.

I thiiiiink I have a decent shot as a contender for an offer. Applying with a 4.0/4.0 GPA (so First Equivalent) (though from a US institution), two really strong letters of recommendation, and an undergraduate thesis. Just worried they'll see my incompetently-done PDQ and run because they fear what they'd have to train in 12 months. Heh.

Have you prepared your research proposal? Curious. I'm also applying from the US, but to the MPhil in US History. Are you selecting a college?

Cambridge has a load of admissions statistics posted on their site -- not sure if you've gone through them, but it is an interesting read. You can see what the admissions numbers are for overseas applicants by degree and country.
Original post by etoile89
Have you prepared your research proposal? Curious. I'm also applying from the US, but to the MPhil in US History. Are you selecting a college?

Cambridge has a load of admissions statistics posted on their site -- not sure if you've gone through them, but it is an interesting read. You can see what the admissions numbers are for overseas applicants by degree and country.

I have. Well, I have to the best of my ability. Whether it's up to snuff for Cambridge I suppose is yet to be seen. My PDQ is literally the final missing element. I've selected two colleges: Trinity and Caius. How about you?

The statistics were encouraging, but unfortunately I also have a nasty habit of assuming if there is a 99% acceptance rate for a program I'll be the 1% declined. What did you make of them?
Original post by YankToTheUK
I have. Well, I have to the best of my ability. Whether it's up to snuff for Cambridge I suppose is yet to be seen. My PDQ is literally the final missing element. I've selected two colleges: Trinity and Caius. How about you?

The statistics were encouraging, but unfortunately I also have a nasty habit of assuming if there is a 99% acceptance rate for a program I'll be the 1% declined. What did you make of them?

My main takeaway from the Cambridge admissions statistics is that Cambridge is an institution that is happy to accept fees from students. I'm not saying admissions is easy -- I'm just saying that these institutions make money. In the US, MA programs are considered "cash cows" for universities.

I'm applying to a handful of PhD programs in the US, and then MA programs in the UK. One of the advisors I hope to work with laid it out pretty well: For every 100 applicants to a program, about 30 of those candidates are serious contenders. Out of those 30 who are considered, about 18 admissions offers are sent. Out of the 18 admissions offers that are sent, about 10 of those offers are accepted. When you think about it like that, I can tell you that 70% of those people didn't research the program, didn't have the academic qualifications, and didn't know what they were getting into.

If you put together a solid application, you have a shot. Test scores and GPAs aren't the be all and end all. My two cents.
Original post by maliese
Hello :h:
I'm not sure but you might find this helpful? https://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/personal-statements-for-further-study/

I think it has got some useful advice on there :smile:

Thank you! :smile::smile: I read the link and it's more for PhD research I guess, as it talks about contacting supervisors and stuff, a thing I'm not sure they're very happy about for the MPhil in European, Latin American and Comparative Literatures and Cultures :/
Ha! Marks for Master's thesis finally in-- one point short of a distinction, but a very comfortable "high pass" and leave to continue.
Reply 137
Does anyone know how to upload personal reference? There is no option in the application!
Original post by LKapp
Does anyone know how to upload personal reference? There is no option in the application!

Your reference gets an email to submit it, not you. Check they received it, it can go into junk mail.
Reply 139
Original post by DCRsilver
Your reference gets an email to submit it, not you. Check they received it, it can go into junk mail.

Thanks for the reply, but there is no place to add "personal reference", only "academic references" are provided.

Quick Reply

Latest