The Student Room Group

Could you ignore your other half?

Would you be able to stop all contact with your significant other temporarily if something bad happened in your life?

Scroll to see replies

The whole point is they stick with you through the good and the bad,isn't it?
And no, I would never consider doing so.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
The whole point is they stick with you through the good and the bad,isn't it?
And no, I would never consider doing so.

That's what I thought too..
Reply 3
Umm tbh I have done so right now...
Reply 4
Original post by Naf_A
Umm tbh I have done so right now...

Do you have a reason for doing so?
Reply 5
i ignore him if his pissed me off if that counts
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Do you have a reason for doing so?

Umm I would have to say that it is personal-but I know if my boyfriend knew what was going on then he would do everything in his power to try and intervene...therefore I assume that it would be best to cut off contact until everything is sorted...and he does the exact same....and then when we are comfortable enough to talk about it then that's what we will do :smile:
Reply 7
no way. i couldnt live without bae (if i had one)
No. If the thought even crossed my mind I would think I was dating the wrong person if I couldn't confide in them or rely on them for support.
Reply 9
Original post by Naf_A
Umm I would have to say that it is personal-but I know if my boyfriend knew what was going on then he would do everything in his power to try and intervene...therefore I assume that it would be best to cut off contact until everything is sorted...and he does the exact same....and then when we are comfortable enough to talk about it then that's what we will do :smile:

Oh ok fair enough. Did you tell him you will talk again once your problem is sorted or you just started ignoring him?
Original post by sinfonietta
No. If the thought even crossed my mind I would think I was dating the wrong person if I couldn't confide in them or rely on them for support.

Well said. Sadly some don't see it this way. :-(
No. I would tell them everything and expect them to support me through it. I would just feel worse if I pushed them away.
My other half is @bluemadhatter and I could never ignore her if some bad happened in my life...I'd probably run to her for comfort :redface:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
My other half is @bluemadhatter and I could never ignore her if some bad happened in my life...I'd probably run to her for comfort :redface:

love you :kissing2:
#when your significant other is still just you

#loner4ever
If by "something bad" you mean "I was in a coma", then I don't really have much choice in the matter.

But really, if you can't be open with your other half, who can you be open with?

That being said, I frequently don't reply to texts from my girlfriend if I'm busy doing something (could be literally anything, from playing Xbox to washing salad). Then again, I wouldn't class that as "ignoring" because that would entail some form of silent treatment when she gets home; it's more akin to being punctually unreliable.

NB: if I'm out-out, it's unlikely she'll get a text back before one day ends and the next one starts. I'm not talking a 10 minute window, but I'm also not saying I don't reply for the best part of a week.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous
Oh ok fair enough. Did you tell him you will talk again once your problem is sorted or you just started ignoring him?

What we do is: automatically block each other on any social media we have together, and even whatsapp...and we both know that something is up...and then when we unblock each other we know that its probably solved......but we dont see it as blocking each other...but rather just as needing space.....
Original post by Naf_A
What we do is: automatically block each other on any social media we have together, and even whatsapp...and we both know that something is up...and then when we unblock each other we know that its probably solved......but we dont see it as blocking each other...but rather just as needing space.....

Wow okay. What's the longest you've gone without talking?
If I had one then I couldn't ignore them!
They'd mean to much to me and you're both in it together so they should support you through everything!
So no I wouldn't ignore them!
But I dont have an SO currently
Doesn't this defeat the point of having a 'significant other'?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending