The Student Room Group

Biomedical Foundation Year to Medical School?

I applied to many universities in the UK with a biomedical degree including a preliminary/foundation year. Is there a chance after the foundation year, I can apply directly to medicine as an international student?

Thanks
Original post by badriaa
I applied to many universities in the UK with a biomedical degree including a preliminary/foundation year. Is there a chance after the foundation year, I can apply directly to medicine as an international student?

Thanks

No. The foundation year would not count as a qualification and medical schools don't accept applications from people part way through the degree (some accept applications from those in their first year of a degree, but you still have to meet the minimum requires of a-levels etc).
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
No. The foundation year would not count as a qualification and medical schools don't accept applications from people part way through the degree (some accept applications from those in their first year of a degree, but you still have to meet the minimum requires of a-levels etc).

Can you elaborate? So if I finish one year of biomedical science, I can transfer to medical school? I can't do that after a foundation?
Original post by badriaa
Can you elaborate? So if I finish one year of biomedical science, I can transfer to medical school? I can't do that after a foundation?

No. You cannot transfer. You can apply via UCAS to a medical degree(though only a few accept applicants from their first year of university) however you still need to fulfil the normal requirements, you cannot use the first year of a degree towards meeting the requirements.

Basically if you start another degree you will have to finish it. If you want to study medicine as an undergraduate you have to get the required grades, e.g. AAA at a-level. and apply directly.

Quick Reply

Latest