The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by savarna
i've retaken maths 3 times now, i can't do it at all like i've been revising all the time - i dont even do half of my other work (science and other lessons) as im trying to pass maths but i cant do it and i need to pass for the apprenticeship i want to do

Is this GCSE or A level?
How were they able to make lamda equal that?

image.jpg
Original post by amelienine

image.jpg

ln both sides, leads you to -40lambda = ln(1/2)
Divide by -40, you get lambda = -ln(1/2)/40
-ln(1/2) = ln(1/2^-1) = ln(2)
Reply 983

image.jpg

Take logs of both sides and remember
ln0.5 = ln(1/2) = ln(2^-1) = -ln2
Original post by k.russell
ln both sides, leads you to -40lambda = ln(1/2)
Divide by -40, you get lambda = -ln(1/2)/40
-ln(1/2) = ln(1/2^-1) = ln(2)

Original post by solC
Take logs of both sides and remember
ln0.5 = ln(1/2) = ln(2^-1) = -ln2

Thank you!! (I've just learnt how to multi-reply woohoo)
image.jpg
Took this from the mark scheme, don't know how T = 93 tho? Put it in my calculator and I'm getting a different answer.

Took this from the mark scheme, don't know how T = 93 tho? Put it in my calculator and I'm getting a different answer.

That's wrong, it does not go to the second line.
Original post by RDKGames
That's wrong, it does not go to the second line.

then how do you find what T is?
then how do you find what T is?

If you know your exponentials and natural logarithms, you may notice that eln(240)=eln(402)=20e^{-\ln(\frac{2}{40})}=e^{\ln(\frac{40}{2})}=20 and just divide both sides by it for T.

The -1 in front of ln becomes the exponent when moved inside the logarithm, so we take the reciprocal of the fraction as the result.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you know your exponentials and natural logarithms, you may notice that eln(240)=eln(402)=20e^{-\ln(\frac{2}{40})}=e^{\ln(\frac{40}{2})}=20 and just divide both sides by it for T.

The -1 in front of ln becomes the exponent when moved inside the logarithm, so we take the reciprocal of the fraction as the result.

Oh thank you! I'm resitting my C3 this year and I've forgotten so much of it :frown:

And it turns out it wasn't ln(2/40)! It was (ln(2))/40, which gave out a completely different answer... oi I'm hopeless
(edited 7 years ago)
this question is really ****ing me up, I've tried doing it SO many times using LCM and stuff but can't seem to get the right answer :

part a) A christmas tree has been decorated with a set of lights thatcontain two circuits. On each individual circuit, all the lights come and go off at the same time, but the two circuits are out of sync.

Circuit 1: lights ON for 4 seconds, and OFF for 9 seconds.
Circuit 2: lights ON for 7 seconds and OFF for 2 seconds,

20 seconds ago, both sets of lights came ON at exactly the same time. In how many seconds from now will both sets of lights go OFF at the same time ?

part b) consider the same christmas tree as above but with the following circuits:
Circuit 1: Lights ON for 3 seconds, OFF for 5 seconds
Circuit 2: lights ON for 2 seconds, OFF for 6 seconds
Ten seconds ago, both sets of lights went ON at exactly the same time. In how many seconds from now will both sets of lights go ON at the same time?

answers below, I just don't know how to get to them :

Spoiler

Original post by medhelp
this question is really ****ing me up, I've tried doing it SO many times using LCM and stuff but can't seem to get the right answer :

part a) A christmas tree has been decorated with a set of lights thatcontain two circuits. On each individual circuit, all the lights come and go off at the same time, but the two circuits are out of sync.

Circuit 1: lights ON for 4 seconds, and OFF for 9 seconds.
Circuit 2: lights ON for 7 seconds and OFF for 2 seconds,

20 seconds ago, both sets of lights came ON at exactly the same time. In how many seconds from now will both sets of lights go OFF at the same time ?

part b) consider the same christmas tree as above but with the following circuits:
Circuit 1: Lights ON for 3 seconds, OFF for 5 seconds
Circuit 2: lights ON for 2 seconds, OFF for 6 seconds
Ten seconds ago, both sets of lights went ON at exactly the same time. In how many seconds from now will both sets of lights go ON at the same time?

answers below, I just don't know how to get to them :

Spoiler

Just say
'I don't believe in christmas, question is inaccurate qed'

Posted from TSR Mobile
graph-diff.PNG

0 = x(9-2x^2)^(1/2)
x = root (9/2)
= root 9 / root 2
a = 3 / root 2

I have a feeling this isn't right, though. ' As a multiple of root 2 '

could I do 3root2/2 ( by mutlitplying both parts of fraction by root 2 ) or does this not make a difference?
Original post by JaredzzC
graph-diff.PNG

0 = x(9-2x^2)^(1/2)
x = root (9/2)
= root 9 / root 2
a = 3 / root 2

I have a feeling this isn't right, though. ' As a multiple of root 2 '

could I do 3root2/2 ( by mutlitplying both parts of fraction by root 2 ) or does this not make a difference?

Your method seems right, yes they probably want it as 3√2/2
Wut Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 18.35.03BST.png
Original post by jamestg
Wut

Take a logarithm of base 3 for both sides and rearrange for log3(2)\log_3(2)
Take a logarithm of base 3 for both sides and rearrange for log3(2)\log_3(2)

Ahhh, thanks!
Also, what does this even mean...

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 18.48.49BST.png
Reply 998
Original post by jamestg

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 18.48.49BST.png

If p(1)=0 then (x-1) is a factor of p(x) from the remainder theorem, so we can rewrite p(x) as q(x)(x-1) for some polynomial q(x).
In this case, dividing p(x) by (x-1) gives a remainder of 2, so we need to add two in order to get a remainder of 0, therefore p(x)=(x-1)q(x)-2.

I'm not 100% sure on this though...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamestg

Well firstly we can eliminate options which prevent p(1)=2 and then investigate the remaining ones, you can quickly see that all of them depend on various conditions satisfied by q(1) apart from one which will always be true, so I'd go for that one.

Quick Reply

Latest