The Student Room Group

Phone phobia

I have a phobia of making calls or answering calls, whether I know the person or not. If it is an important call, I can't think well and just make stupid mistakes ... like saying i can do something without confirming with my employer etc. Then I really stress and panic after the call too.
Even if the phone rings at home, my heart beats faster and I try my best to avoid picking up the phone.
How can I overcome this?
Where can I get help?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think it's normal to get nervous during an important call and mess up so don't worry. but if you really think it's abnormal I'd suggest talking to your GP about it? It might be anxiety and you can get treatment for it?
Heard of exposure therapy. Will be quite benefiial fir this. Ao ill try it and will post when done
I used to suffer with social anxiety and making/receiving phonecalls was so difficult for me. Speak to your GP about it and maybe try counselling.
Original post by bones-mccoy
I used to suffer with social anxiety and making/receiving phonecalls was so difficult for me. Speak to your GP about it and maybe try counselling.

Have to phone in to get an appointment with the GP 😶😐😓😕
If you went to see the GP what help did you receive?
Counselling might be too unaffordable at the moment tbh.
You can get medication for anxiety, such as Propranolol, and counselling is available on the NHS.
you can write a letter to your GP...
I have the same fear, and i suffer from pretty severe social anxiety. I recently decided to go to the GP and she gave me medication to help. So far, the only thing that helps with this, is to try and call people yourself, and distract yourself, so maybe write or draw when on the phone. That's what i do. I still hate receiving calls, but the more i practice the easier it seems. Good luck! Feel free to message me:smile:
Reply 8
You can get medication for anxiety, such as Propranolol, and counselling is available on the NHS.

It's actually for high blood pressure, mostly. It can help with some physical symptoms of anxiety but does nothing for the mental ones.
Original post by AmberElizaFleet
I have the same fear, and i suffer from pretty severe social anxiety. I recently decided to go to the GP and she gave me medication to help. So far, the only thing that helps with this, is to try and call people yourself, and distract yourself, so maybe write or draw when on the phone. That's what i do. I still hate receiving calls, but the more i practice the easier it seems. Good luck! Feel free to message me:smile:

Thank you. I'm sorry to hear you have social anxiety but I'm glad I'm not alone and you can understand me. Feeling worse today 🙁. Thanks for the advice.
Original post by Ciel.
It's actually for high blood pressure, mostly. It can help with some physical symptoms of anxiety but does nothing for the mental ones.

Yh. Its the mental ones that I really need to deal with. 🤕
Reply 11
Benzodiazepines work wonders. But they can be kinda addictive if you take them every day. And over time, I think they just really numb all your feelings. That's my experience, at least.
Original post by Ciel.

I know. Both my sister and my dad take it, one for anxiety and one for high blood pressure. Just like any medication it's treating the symptoms rather than the underlying cause, but it can still be beneficial.
I used to really hate answering the phone and making phone calls. Then I continued to be alive, and made more phone calls from time to time, as necessary. Now my dislike has more or less worn off.

Personally, I try to avoid using medication as much as possible, and this isn't something I'd go to a GP or try and seek a prescription about. Then again, other people probably have worse social anxiety than me - I don't know what goes on in other peoples' heads - and I'm not qualified to give medical advice. What do I know.
(edited 7 years ago)
Depending on how bad it is you might benefit from some cbt. We're all pretty reliant on our phones these days so whilst there are other means of communicating with people, being able to have a telephone conversation is pretty important part of every day life and so I advise you nip this in the bud with the help of a professional. Make an appointment with your GP to discuss this, it's just another element of social anxiety. Very treatable.
I'm the same. I have social anxiety and generalised anxiety disorder and I find it very difficult to make phone calls, as well as receive them. I used to find it impossible actually. If I receive a call from an unknown number or I don't recognise the number, I panic and feel sick. I watch and wait until it stops then I immediately scour the internet to see if it was a scam call. If it's a call from work, I very rarely answer. I used to do that but I got used to answering (in my old job) after about a year. However I recently got a new job and find it hard to answer again. I let it go to voicemail and listen, then I spend about 3 hours working up the courage to ring them back. I'd rather call than answer, because by then I can work out in my head what I want to say, especially if I have listened to the voicemail and know what they were phoning me about. If it's a friend, I will usually answer. My friends don't usually call me though so it's not really an issue. BUt yeah, I totally understand you.

All I can say is it gets (slightly) better with practice. The anxiety you have when answering/making calls won't subside too much, but at least you'll be making the calls. 3 or 4 weeks ago I had a lot of people to call. My student loan hadn't gone through, and I had to call to get it sorted. I also had to call my uni and the loan company. I surprisingly got better at calling. My friend encouraged me to answer a phone call from work the other week too, and I did it. It was a HUGE step for me, to answer a call- I wasn't even in the comfort of my own place, I was out, on the street, and I answered it. I genuinely think the practice the previous week, actually helped. I still felt horrible and anxious, but I did it nevertheless. Its worse not knowing believe me.

If it's so bad that you just can't do it, maybe consult a doctor. It could be part of an anxiety disorder, or it could just be a phobia- but they still might be able to prescribe some medication. I'm on citalopram for my anxiety and I believe it's working, so if they offer some kind of treatment, maybe take it and see if it makes a difference, I know how hard it is so keep your chin up and keep trying, it's so hard but it's something we have to do as we go into adulthood. Good luck!!
I know. Both my sister and my dad take it, one for anxiety and one for high blood pressure. Just like any medication it's treating the symptoms rather than the underlying cause, but it can still be beneficial.

I suppose it can be beneficial as I guess I wouldn't have to worry much about the physical symptoms then
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I used to really hate answering the phone and making phone calls. Then I continued to be alive, and made more phone calls from time to time, as necessary. Now my dislike has more or less worn off.

Personally, I try to avoid using medication as much as possible, and this isn't something I'd go to a GP or try and seek a prescription about. Then again, other people probably have worse social anxiety than me - I don't know what goes on in other peoples' heads - and I'm not qualified to give medical advice. What do I know.

I try to avoid medicines too tbh. Thats why I'm going to try exposure therapy first whih includes:
1. Making phone call with someone I'm comfortable with
2. Doing 1 in front of a group of people
3. Making phone call to an unknown stranger
4. Doing this 3 in front of a group of people
5. Answering an unknown number
Etc
Basically you tackle thing at a time at your own space. I'm hoping it helps (i dont even mind if its not completely gone as long as I can make and take necessary phonecalls).
Original post by Mazzii342
I'm the same. I have social anxiety and generalised anxiety disorder and I find it very difficult to make phone calls, as well as receive them. I used to find it impossible actually. If I receive a call from an unknown number or I don't recognise the number, I panic and feel sick. I watch and wait until it stops then I immediately scour the internet to see if it was a scam call. If it's a call from work, I very rarely answer. I used to do that but I got used to answering (in my old job) after about a year. However I recently got a new job and find it hard to answer again. I let it go to voicemail and listen, then I spend about 3 hours working up the courage to ring them back. I'd rather call than answer, because by then I can work out in my head what I want to say, especially if I have listened to the voicemail and know what they were phoning me about. If it's a friend, I will usually answer. My friends don't usually call me though so it's not really an issue. BUt yeah, I totally understand you.

All I can say is it gets (slightly) better with practice. The anxiety you have when answering/making calls won't subside too much, but at least you'll be making the calls. 3 or 4 weeks ago I had a lot of people to call. My student loan hadn't gone through, and I had to call to get it sorted. I also had to call my uni and the loan company. I surprisingly got better at calling. My friend encouraged me to answer a phone call from work the other week too, and I did it. It was a HUGE step for me, to answer a call- I wasn't even in the comfort of my own place, I was out, on the street, and I answered it. I genuinely think the practice the previous week, actually helped. I still felt horrible and anxious, but I did it nevertheless. Its worse not knowing believe me.

If it's so bad that you just can't do it, maybe consult a doctor. It could be part of an anxiety disorder, or it could just be a phobia- but they still might be able to prescribe some medication. I'm on citalopram for my anxiety and I believe it's working, so if they offer some kind of treatment, maybe take it and see if it makes a difference, I know how hard it is so keep your chin up and keep trying, it's so hard but it's something we have to do as we go into adulthood. Good luck!!

Thanks. Im just going to try and tackle it and just force myself to answer/take phone calls. I find the more I go out of my way to avoid the worse my anxiety about it gets.

True that though...it's definitely something we have to do as we go into adulthood
If you are in fulltime education you can get counselling through your school/ college/ uni. It's exactly where I started when I noticed I had issues. You can ask your school about what service they have available.
You don't have to call for an appointment if you really don't want to- you can go in to book one.
If you go to your doctor they can get an idea of how much of an issue you have and help will depend on that. You may just be given some info on counselling services or you could be refered to CAMHS (if you are under 18), a counsellor/ therapist or even given medication like propanolol to try. If you are refered to a service by the nhs you will not have to pay.

I think I got better with making calls after having to do it more. Maybe try exposing yourself to it a bit. Start with something you feel mostly okay with and build up from there. I think it's an issue a lot of people are faced with when they become adult an dsome just cope with it a bit better than others. Don't feel too embarassed by it. I'm sure a lot of people feel simmilarly and just wouldn't admit it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest