The Student Room Group

Can unis see where else you've applied to?

For a friend - she's applied for 4 medicine courses, but doesn't want to apply to a 5th choice for biomed or w/e because she thinks her medicine unis will be able to see this and will think she's not very committed to medicine.

I didn't think unis could see where else you've applied to - is my friend right?
Reply 1
universities cannot see your other choices
they dont know what other unis that you have applied to. they can only see your application to them.
Reply 3
No universities cannot see where else you have applied to, and it is very common to apply for biomed as the 5th choice- pretty much every medicine applicant in my school has- so even if they could see she wouldn't even be disadvantaged.
Original post by emilysmith268
For a friend - she's applied for 4 medicine courses, but doesn't want to apply to a 5th choice for biomed or w/e because she thinks her medicine unis will be able to see this and will think she's not very committed to medicine.

I didn't think unis could see where else you've applied to - is my friend right?

Given that you can only apply to 4 medicine courses, I think medical schools are well used to applicants choosing something else as a fifth choice.

And as above, they can't see your other choices until after you have accepted offers.
Original post by emduck
No universities cannot see where else you have applied to, and it is very common to apply for biomed as the 5th choice- pretty much every medicine applicant in my school has- so even if they could see she wouldn't even be disadvantaged.

that's what I thought but she says that a medical person told her that they could idk???
Reply 6
Its all entirely anonymous (I'm pretty sure it's stated somewhere in the UCAS terms and conditions)

As long as her personal statement is broad enough to cover biomedicine too and isn't aimed specifically at a medicine course there shouldn't be any problems with that at all.
Reply 7
that's what I thought but she says that a medical person told her that they could idk???

They can only see once you have responded to any offers, which you can't do until you get responses from all universities, so in terms of getting offers it doesn't affect her, and as I said, since for medicine you can only apply for 4 universities, it is very common to choose biomed as a 5th so she wouldn't be disadvantaged anyway.
http://university.which.co.uk/advice/ucas-application/can-universities-see-where-else-i-apply-to-and-could-this-affect-my-chances

Universities will know that she has applied for medicine from her PS.

They won't know the specifics until she chooses a firm/insurance choice in April next year
Original post by PQ
Universities will know that she has applied for medicine from her PS.

They won't know the specifics until she chooses a firm/insurance choice in April next year

so just to clarify, her having a medical-orientated application would affect the likelihood of her getting a place on the biomed course, but her applying for a biomed course won't affect the likelihood of her getting a place on the medicine courses?
so just to clarify, her having a medical-orientated application would affect the likelihood of her getting a place on the biomed course, but her applying for a biomed course won't affect the likelihood of her getting a place on the medicine courses?

Her applying for 4 medicine choices and one biomedical won't affect her chances on either course. It's what 90% of med applicants do.

Knowing that she's a med applicant and caring that she's a med applicant are not the same thing.
Original post by PQ
Her applying for 4 medicine choices and one biomedical won't affect her chances on either course. It's what 90% of med applicants do.

Knowing that she's a med applicant and caring that she's a med applicant are not the same thing.

ok, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest