The Student Room Group

EPQ People - Planning Help

I've read a book on EPQ that talks about Gannt and PENT charts - how useful are these? Should I mention them in the planning phase of the production log (with pictures?) or not do them at all?

Thanks
I did my EPQ last year and ended up with a B because I left too much to the last minute. I don't know how much they would help you but it wouldn't be a bad thing to include them! The main thing in this project is the planning so using different methods will get you marks.

GOOD LUCK
Charts and stuff will certainly help you to get the planning marks. I originally intended to do the same, but in the end I just made a table with dates and what I did on that day, any delays and why etc. I ended up getting an A* in it so I must have done something right lol, not sure how my marks were distributed between the essay and planning but given that planning is worth a good portion of the marks it must have been okay. The more the better, basically.
Original post by -hannah-lucy-
I did my EPQ last year and ended up with a B because I left too much to the last minute. I don't know how much they would help you but it wouldn't be a bad thing to include them! The main thing in this project is the planning so using different methods will get you marks.

GOOD LUCK

Hey I just wanted to ask you a question regarding your production log, I am rather struggling with it and don't really know how to write my progress. What did you include in yours, thank youuu aha xx
GANTT chart MAY be useful, or you could just do it simply like I did. By the way you are kind of late with starting the project, people in my new school started it in like March (many have quit or still not up to speed), I started in September and now I am milesss ahead almost done with like 70% of my essay.

Basically I would recommend first making a plan of what you want to get out of your project, outline where you could go with the project potentially and then choose the "route" you like best and stick with it like what kind of research you want to get done, primary research, etc. In terms of planning you could simply just write down the deadlines you want to set yourself with specific dates, and say how achievable these are and what might affect them (I've been told it means I will be able to reflect on them better). My EPQ coordinator told us to use GANT charts but I haven't because there's no need for it. It's your project. Do what you feel best and what suits you.

Good luck, and try to get as much done in half term as possible because the final submission isn't even that far! Ours will be in December, not sure if it's same for everyone but yeah not that long to go.
Original post by amyfanning
Hey I just wanted to ask you a question regarding your production log, I am rather struggling with it and don't really know how to write my progress. What did you include in yours, thank youuu aha xx

I included the titles of all the books and journals I read, what I found useful and how I could use it in the finished project. I wrote down all the advice my tutor gave me, and all my plans. I can't remember much exactly so if you give me a specific area you are stuggling with I could probably help more :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by amyfanning

I think the main things is detail, and being specific e.g in 'ideas for research and development' what areas do you expect to research and what exact sites will you use - like google scholar.
If you can get the book 'EPQ toolkit for AQA' (if you're doing AQA?) it's a huge help, with examples for what's good/bad etc.
Reply 7
Original post by azizadil1998
GANTT chart MAY be useful, or you could just do it simply like I did. By the way you are kind of late with starting the project, people in my new school started it in like March (many have quit or still not up to speed), I started in September and now I am milesss ahead almost done with like 70% of my essay.

Basically I would recommend first making a plan of what you want to get out of your project, outline where you could go with the project potentially and then choose the "route" you like best and stick with it like what kind of research you want to get done, primary research, etc. In terms of planning you could simply just write down the deadlines you want to set yourself with specific dates, and say how achievable these are and what might affect them (I've been told it means I will be able to reflect on them better). My EPQ coordinator told us to use GANT charts but I haven't because there's no need for it. It's your project. Do what you feel best and what suits you.

Good luck, and try to get as much done in half term as possible because the final submission isn't even that far! Ours will be in December, not sure if it's same for everyone but yeah not that long to go.

Thanks - big help. Sorry I'm nowhere near final submission! I only just started in September (I'm year 12) and Aim to finish for next year (Ideally Christmas this year)
Oh that's fair enough then, you'll probably have a lot going on with 4 subjects/3 idk how many you're doing :P What are you doing yours on anyways? I thought you had JUST started would be a bit late, you done any research?

Quick Reply

Latest