The Student Room Group

Thoughts on these Universities?

I am applying for universities based on my portfolio and work experience rather than grades, and these are all universities that said they would consider my application.
Any thoughts on the Universities and/or the cities (particularly clubbing and gigs) would be super useful, as I am not from England.

Westminster University - Journalism BA

Kingston University - Journalism BA

Gloucestershire University - Journalism BA

Northampton University - Journalism BA

Falmouth University - Either Journalism BA or Journalism and Mass Communication BA

Solent University - Journalism BA

Nottingham Trent - Journalism BA

South Wales - Journalism BA

Spoiler

I just can't decide what my top five would be! I want a university that I am going to get a lot out of both in terms of the course itself, social life, and work opportunities. I live in a small town, so I want to go somewhere where there's a lot more going on (although not that that would be too hard!) Yet it seems that the universities I consider to have a good course have an awful nightlife :frown:

There are a few other universities that said they would consider me, but these are the ones I am most considering.
Reply 1
Original post by EmmaCx
I am applying for universities based on my portfolio and work experience rather than grades, and these are all universities that said they would consider my application.
Any thoughts on the Universities and/or the cities (particularly clubbing and gigs) would be super useful, as I am not from England.

Falmouth University - Either Journalism BA or Journalism and Mass Communication BA

Spoiler

I just can't decide what my top five would be! I want a university that I am going to get a lot out of both in terms of the course itself, social life, and work opportunities. I live in a small town, so I want to go somewhere where there's a lot more going on (although not that that would be too hard!) Yet it seems that the universities I consider to have a good course have an awful nightlife :frown:

There are a few other universities that said they would consider me, but these are the ones I am most considering.

Can't say anything about the Uni, but my experience of Northampton, as well as general consensus among people I know, is that it is an absolute dump and a horrible city to visit, never mind live in.

Went on holiday to Falmouth over the Summer and it's definitely a very nice place, but being in Cornwall you'll have to bear in mind it's very isolated from pretty much everywhere else in the country (6 hours on the train to get to London, for instance), and being in the south-west and right by the sea (where England's prevailing winds come from) the weather isn't as nice as you would hope; it's much more likely to rain most days than it is to be sunny. Also, Falmouth really isn't that big of a place and you'd probably run out of things to do fairly quickly.

Nottingham is definitely a nice city, and there's lots to do even outside the night life, which I won't pretend to know anything about. You definitely won't run out of things to do, not compared to Falmouth and Northampton at least.
Reply 2
Original post by Atavistic
Can't say anything about the Uni, but my experience of Northampton, as well as general consensus among people I know, is that it is an absolute dump and a horrible city to visit, never mind live in.

Went on holiday to Falmouth over the Summer and it's definitely a very nice place, but being in Cornwall you'll have to bear in mind it's very isolated from pretty much everywhere else in the country (6 hours on the train to get to London, for instance), and being in the south-west and right by the sea (where England's prevailing winds come from) the weather isn't as nice as you would hope; it's much more likely to rain most days than it is to be sunny. Also, Falmouth really isn't that big of a place and you'd probably run out of things to do fairly quickly.

Nottingham is definitely a nice city, and there's lots to do even outside the night life, which I won't pretend to know anything about. You definitely won't run out of things to do, not compared to Falmouth and Northampton at least.

Yeah that was my worry about Falmouth, like the town I live in is really small, but it's like 20-30 mins to bigger cities so I don't mind as much, but the area just seems to be so far away from all the action so to speak. Ah really? Will bear that in mind.
Nottingham does look so lovely, and was definitely high up on my list (even though it doesn't look it!). I'll most likely put that in my five for UCAS.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EmmaCx

Spoiler

For journalism accreditation and exemption from professional exams is the key to finding a course that will help you to get work within the industry.
I did my degree in Gloucester (at hartpury not Gloucestershire uni) the nightlife in Gloucester is limited to one nightclub and a fair few bars. Cheltenham is about 20 minutes away but you'll need a taxi to get back (£25 but can split between friends etc) and that has like 3 nightclubs.

As for doing things and transport, Gloucester has really good train links to Bristol/London/Cardiff/Birmingham which is really handy. There's a fair amount to keep you busy but not crazy, there was plenty for me for 3 years alongside degree but I don't do that much 😄
Reply 5
Original post by CharlieH1992
I did my degree in Gloucester (at hartpury not Gloucestershire uni) the nightlife in Gloucester is limited to one nightclub and a fair few bars. Cheltenham is about 20 minutes away but you'll need a taxi to get back (£25 but can split between friends etc) and that has like 3 nightclubs.

As for doing things and transport, Gloucester has really good train links to Bristol/London/Cardiff/Birmingham which is really handy. There's a fair amount to keep you busy but not crazy, there was plenty for me for 3 years alongside degree but I don't do that much 😄

Ah okay, I mean if it has good transport links to bigger cities then I suppose that the local nightlife doesn't really matter as much (although it would be more of a hassle etc). To be fair I don't even know if I would end up doing that much! Suppose it just depends on how well making friends go - I'm really quite shy. Although I mean I do enjoy a night out and stuff, it's more a case of making friends to go on those nights out with haha
Reply 6
Nottingham is an amazing student city as it consists of multiple universities, so you'll be spoilt for choice in terms of nightlife etc. I know a few people who have just moved to nottingham trent and haven't heard a bad thing yet.

Falmouth is a great university for media/the creative industries, but I discounted it due to the sheer isolation of it. This is personal as I want to be at a city university and when I visited it I felt it was a bit claustrophobic- all very self contained a only 2 pubs/clubs (!) but some people prefer campus unis and say that the atmosphere there is more homely. A previous student at our school came in to give a talk about his experience at falmouth and said that because there was so little to do there were more flat/house parties etc. Course wise I have also heard that Falmouth has great industry links and its alumni are very employable.

I would definitely recommend visiting the towns/cities if you are able to, its the best way to get a true feel of what the place is like and if you'd enjoy living there.
Reply 7
Original post by ejane25
Nottingham is an amazing student city as it consists of multiple universities, so you'll be spoilt for choice in terms of nightlife etc. I know a few people who have just moved to nottingham trent and haven't heard a bad thing yet.

Falmouth is a great university for media/the creative industries, but I discounted it due to the sheer isolation of it. This is personal as I want to be at a city university and when I visited it I felt it was a bit claustrophobic- all very self contained a only 2 pubs/clubs (!) but some people prefer campus unis and say that the atmosphere there is more homely. A previous student at our school came in to give a talk about his experience at falmouth and said that because there was so little to do there were more flat/house parties etc. Course wise I have also heard that Falmouth has great industry links and its alumni are very employable.

I would definitely recommend visiting the towns/cities if you are able to, its the best way to get a true feel of what the place is like and if you'd enjoy living there.

Yeah Nottingham looks lovely, the more I look into it the more I want to go there. The Falmouth course looked lovely, but after some thought I knew I wouldn't enjoy the place or that so I've decided to rule that one out. Like I wanted to move from a small town to a bigger city or something, and moving to Falmouth would just feel like moving from one small town to another.
Reply 8
South Wales University operates over several campuses. The Journalism course is in the Cardiff Campus which is only a few minutes walk from the City centre. Cardiff has a big student population as there are 3 unis - South Wales, Cardiff Met and Cardiff University. Lots of nightlife and lots of bars which cater to students. It is a very compact city but has several shopping centres and lots to do. You won't be bored.

If you will be looking for a part time job there are always plenty going in the City centre.
Reply 9
My sister went to Nottingham Trent - lots of students support. She was on the Brackenhurst campus (which is a campus about 12 miles from the main one and is just lots of fields, one of her flatmates was allowed to bring her horse to uni because of the fields (I think she was doing animal science or something)!), and apparently Nottingham is again very nice and the surrounding area is very nice. Lots of pubs.
Reply 10
Original post by Crabb1ey
My sister went to Nottingham Trent - lots of students support. She was on the Brackenhurst campus (which is a campus about 12 miles from the main one and is just lots of fields, one of her flatmates was allowed to bring her horse to uni because of the fields (I think she was doing animal science or something)!), and apparently Nottingham is again very nice and the surrounding area is very nice. Lots of pubs.

Yeah have decided that is definitely the one I really want to go to. Have heard 99% positive things from it - 1% negative seems to come from a purely elitists narrative. That's actually really cool! I hope I get into Nottingham Trent to be honest haha, seems like such a good University and well lots of pubs is always a welcome bonus.
Original post by EmmaCx
Yeah have decided that is definitely the one I really want to go to. Have heard 99% positive things from it - 1% negative seems to come from a purely elitists narrative. That's actually really cool! I hope I get into Nottingham Trent to be honest haha, seems like such a good University and well lots of pubs is always a welcome bonus.

The Brackenhurst campus looked really nice so if you need a break you could go there. The buses run to it all the time. and my sister worked/works at The Hungry Horse which is a pub near that campus which is apparently very nice and does student prices. Also they're very keen for students to get experience so you'll get plenty of advice/support if you want to do a placement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending