The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Hello again TSR. My name is Dr Andrew Spencer and I am the Admissions Tutor at Murray Edwards College in Cambridge. Welcome to my tenth Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, this time in my new guise as Murray Edwards Admissions. The @Christ's Admissions profile, which I ran for the last three years, will continue under my successor but for the next month before the application deadline for Cambridge, I'll be answering your questions here so please fire away.

Hi, for application with IB qualifications does the Extended Essay need to be included under qualifications please (5.5)? Just read a conversation on this thread about EPQ and I'm thinking it might be similar? Thanks!
Hello.

In the SAQ additional personal statement, would it be appropriate to mention issues with mental health which occurred during my GCSE years?

I think it's important and will add context to my application however I'm worried it will come off like I'm making excuses. Maybe I should just make a small note about it?

Also, my dyslexia wasn't properly diagnosed until just before my A2 exams (I'm a gap year applicant). Would this be a good thing to mention? I've had a lot of trouble with essay writing, I didn't receive extra time in exams until this summer (which only came in after my first 3 exams).

I want to study mathematics if that helps you at all.

Thank you,
Louis
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 682
I'm applying for Computer Science Post A Level with A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths and French. Would I be eligible for auto pooling?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, apologies if this has already been asked! In the SAQ, I've noticed you only write around 3 topics for each subject you've studied. Could I ask, how you're meant to choose these topics? Are these going to be used in interview?
For postcode on Polar3 what statistics do you look at? My postcode has a 5 polar3 young participation and 2 adult he qualification and 4 participation gap.

Will you be able to know if someone is first generation attending uni or should I mention that in an email to the college
Original post by lion7
Hi Dr Spencer,

I have a query about the SAQ. I have applied for Maths at Cambridge and I was just wondering how specific do I need to be in the section that requests topics for Maths (Section 5.5). Is it alright to just write "Calculus" rather than explicitly stating "Integration by Parts" for example? Also can we separate Maths and Further Maths in this particular section as different qualifications?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it's fine to write just calculus. In the educations section you can separate Maths and FM, but not in the qualifications section.
Hello Dr Spencer. Many thanks for doing another thread. I have just submitted my SAQ but, after having read something on a TSR thread, I'm not sure if I wrote the right thing for the unit codes for one of my A levels. Will this matter? Will Cambridge have enough information to still understand what I mean? Thank you.
Reply 687
Hi Dr. Spencer!

I have a question about section 5.5 in the SAQ where I am asked to complete a table with subjects and qualifications. I have Swedish qualifications from upper secondary school and we had five different courses in Mathematics (1,2,3,4 & 5). If I have taken them all, should I keep the number of the course or should I just write "Mathematics" for the five courses?

Thank you for answering our questions!
With the Fee Assessment Questionaire, how will household bills prove that we've lived here? It has my parents name on, not mine, no mention of me.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I know this is repeating a question that you have already answered, but I just need to make 1000% sure and I can be quite pedantic.

Does the EPQ go onto the education section on the SAQ (the bit where I am writing the topics, class sizes, subjects etc)?

There's no need if you've put the title elsewhere at UCAS or discussed it in your PS.
Original post by Oragon
If I apply with achieved grades at A2, e.g. A*A*A for medicine , would you still look at my AS grades and ask for UMS or will my AS grades no longer be used and looked at at all for the selection process ?

Yes, we will look at all achieved results, AS and GCSEs as well as A2s. We want to look at everything we can in order to make good decisions.
Original post by Louisb19
Hello.

In the SAQ additional personal statement, would it be appropriate to mention issues with mental health which occurred during my GCSE years?

I think it's important and will add context to my application however I'm worried it will come off like I'm making excuses. Maybe I should just make a small note about it?

Also, my dyslexia wasn't properly diagnosed until just before my A2 exams (I'm a gap year applicant). Would this be a good thing to mention? I've had a lot of trouble with essay writing, I didn't receive extra time in exams until this summer (which only came in after my first 3 exams).

I want to study mathematics if that helps you at all.

Thank you,
Louis

I would put them both in the 'is there anything more you want us to know' section rather than the additional PS.
Original post by fa991
I'm applying for Computer Science Post A Level with A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths and French. Would I be eligible for auto pooling?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I'm afraid not. For a science subject you need to have 3 A*s in maths/science subjects to be eligible for compulsory pooling. Of course that doesn't mean that if you aren't successful at your original college that you won't be pooled, many candidates are.
Reply 693
No, I'm afraid not. For a science subject you need to have 3 A*s in maths/science subjects to be eligible for compulsory pooling. Of course that doesn't mean that if you aren't successful at your original college that you won't be pooled, many candidates are.

Ah I see, thank you. 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gliitter
Hi, apologies if this has already been asked! In the SAQ, I've noticed you only write around 3 topics for each subject you've studied. Could I ask, how you're meant to choose these topics? Are these going to be used in interview?

You need to put the most important and relevant topics - I wasn't aware that it was restricted to three. They might be used at interview - I've often used topics in different subjects that candidates have taken at A Level to try to see if the candidate can draw links or see parallels between them.
Original post by metrize
For postcode on Polar3 what statistics do you look at? My postcode has a 5 polar3 young participation and 2 adult he qualification and 4 participation gap.

Will you be able to know if someone is first generation attending uni or should I mention that in an email to the college

I'm pretty sure we use the young person figure. No, we won't know unless you tell us that you're the first person in your family to go to university - our records aren't that good! :smile:
Original post by Emypeach
Hello Dr Spencer. Many thanks for doing another thread. I have just submitted my SAQ but, after having read something on a TSR thread, I'm not sure if I wrote the right thing for the unit codes for one of my A levels. Will this matter? Will Cambridge have enough information to still understand what I mean? Thank you.

No problem, it's a pleasure. I think you'll be fine, we should be able to work it out.
There's no need if you've put the title elsewhere at UCAS or discussed it in your PS.

I've done both but it's also on my SAQ which has been sent off! Hope that's okay :-) thanks for all you've done for us!
I'm pretty sure we use the young person figure. No, we won't know unless you tell us that you're the first person in your family to go to university - our records aren't that good! :smile:

I've already sent off my SAQ, should I email the college?
Original post by jenjoh
Hi Dr. Spencer!

I have a question about section 5.5 in the SAQ where I am asked to complete a table with subjects and qualifications. I have Swedish qualifications from upper secondary school and we had five different courses in Mathematics (1,2,3,4 & 5). If I have taken them all, should I keep the number of the course or should I just write "Mathematics" for the five courses?

Thank you for answering our questions!

Keep the numbers I think.

Latest

Trending

Trending