The Student Room Group

Sharing personal statement

I'm currently in my first year of university and I thought it might be a nice idea to post the personal statement I submitted last year somewhere to help people applying. Is there any reason I maybe shouldn't do this? I can't think of any reason but just double-checking.
Reply 1
Original post by psychleah
I'm currently in my first year of university and I thought it might be a nice idea to post the personal statement I submitted last year somewhere to help people applying. Is there any reason I maybe shouldn't do this? I can't think of any reason but just double-checking.

I don't believe there would be any reason to not do this, I guess just make it very understandable and clear that you've used this, anyone else who tries to copy it will be caught, etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by psychleah

I doubt UCAS would be consistently going through and looking for people's personal statements once you've already got your university place. You can't stop people from copying it, but that would fall on them not you. Perhaps even talk with the Admissions tutor for the department about your personal statement, and then you can insert quotes from them to reinforce why your personal statement was good (including where it slacked). It would make your post more useful as others can understand why what they are looking at is a good personal statement, and a lot of people would be able to benefit from doing that - including you.
The only reason to not do it is if there is any chance that you might drop out of uni and want to reapply and reuse parts of your PS. TSR has a PS library (see the link in my signature) where you can upload it :smile:
Original post by EmmaCx
I doubt UCAS would be consistently going through and looking for people's personal statements once you've already got your university place. You can't stop people from copying it, but that would fall on them not you. Perhaps even talk with the Admissions tutor for the department about your personal statement, and then you can insert quotes from them to reinforce why your personal statement was good (including where it slacked). It would make your post more useful as others can understand why what they are looking at is a good personal statement, and a lot of people would be able to benefit from doing that - including you.

UCAS similarity detection software indicates when any of a personal statement has been copied and from where. This information is passed to universities and they then decide whether to reject the applicant or request a new statement. It's still plagarism and universities do not look kindly on that. So yes the OP must advise that it is posted for guidance only and that copying any part may result in the persons application being withdrawn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending