The Student Room Group

GCSE Questions - Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

GCSE Maths/Physics question:

Hannah eats some sweets,
calculate the circumference of Jupiter using some lined paper and a rusty spoon.
Original post by chloeematthews12
I currently revise by making notes and FLASHCARDS! Honestly they are the best things I can recommend can be used for any subjects but they worked well for me in history. Also past papers were also really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you condense information down on flashcards and notes? I seem to make very detailed notes which fills up so many pages while others manage to condense so much info into so little space.
Reply 22
I have a couple of questions if that's alright..
Firstly, I'm very disorganised and I'm finding it hard to organise my revision. How did you know how to organise your revision.
Secondly, where did you find resources to help you revise on paper (if you did), not like bbc bitesize that's online?
Also does it really matter if you fail Spanish in the long run and will you have to retake it?
And finally, how did you choose your A levels?
Thanks for doing this by the way it's incredibly helpful :h:
Original post by Gen15
Hey,
I'm struggling with pretty much all aspects of English and whenever I ask my teacher what I could do to improve she is always a bit vague. Do you have any tips on how to improve in the analysis part of the GCSE?
Thanks

Hey!

What's the question or what context does your teacher want you analyse is this lang or lit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tinka99
How do you condense information down on flashcards and notes? I seem to make very detailed notes which fills up so many pages while others manage to condense so much info into so little space.

Just pick out key words that will trigger the other information for example for Science I would put enzymes and then write words down as 'lock and key' mechanism, chemical reactions, speed up reactions (catalysts) and denature when too hot

does that make sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Viccust
I have a couple of questions if that's alright..
Firstly, I'm very disorganised and I'm finding it hard to organise my revision. How did you know how to organise your revision.
Secondly, where did you find resources to help you revise on paper (if you did), not like bbc bitesize that's online?
Also does it really matter if you fail Spanish in the long run and will you have to retake it?
And finally, how did you choose your A levels?
Thanks for doing this by the way it's incredibly helpful :h:

Hey - of course it's okay that's why I am here to try and help!

Don't worry I'm getting you - I was one of the MOST disorganised people ever and probably still am. I would recommend Folders with dividers - get a big leaver arch folder for science and english and then get one more for the rest of your subjects and then get dividers and divide them up 😉 as easy as that.

For revision I was really fortunate that my teachers gave me a to of paper resources but honestly TSR has a ton - you just have to spend some time looking. Furthermore past papers are the way forward, try to do at least one a week.

I don't think it matters if you fail spanish - although it will affect your points score (which helps your A-Level prediction grades) so try to do as best as you can😉

I know what I wanted to do so it was pretty easy for me - I love sport and therefore Sports Science was just a easy pick, I was interested Psychology so that was another easy pick and then I picked Business to keep my options open. The way to pick them is if you know what to do - look at what A-Levels uni's want and then pick based on that. If not then pick your passion otherwise you are going to not love the next 2 years of your life.

Hope this all helps? Anymore questions feel free to ask 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need help on Macbeth act 2
Original post by Meglimb
I need help on Macbeth act 2

What part? what's the question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Guys!

So I created this as I feel this would have been helpful for me when I was in year 11 and I want to help you guys out as well!

So I'm currently in year 12 but know how stressful year 11 can be so I'm here if you need any questions answered or if you need some support or encouragement I'm here. So ask away or rant away and I'll do my best to help including A-Levels, moving school fot sixth form I'm here so ask away! I took the following subjects and my grades if you are interested... and also help!

Religious Studies (AQA) A*
Physical Education (Edexcel) A*
Core Science (OCR Gateway) A
Business Studies (WJEC) A
History (AQA) B
Spanish (Edexcel) B
English Literature (AQA) B
Statistics (Edexcel) B
Maths (Edexcel) B
Additional Science (OCR Gateway) B
English Language (AQA) C

So ask away! 👍🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you revise for maths?
Original post by SM6
How did you revise for maths?

PAST PAPERS! Honestly! They are a life saver or I all did was just practice topics on a certain topic

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
PAST PAPERS! Honestly! They are a life saver or I all did was just practice topics on a certain topic

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok. Is it true that the questions are recycled every year?
Original post by SM6

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Completely different questions every year?
Reply 33
Original post by SM6
Completely different questions every year?

Some of the lower marked questions are similar year to year, but the higher marked questions are always different. E.g. Stem and leaf diagrams are there most years, but it would be the first question, so its not many marks. You'll see what I mean by similar questions when you do a lot of past papers. But dont worry about this too much, the questions are all based off of core knowledge you should know, unlike at A level lol
Hey Guys!

So I created this as I feel this would have been helpful for me when I was in year 11 and I want to help you guys out as well!

So I'm currently in year 12 but know how stressful year 11 can be so I'm here if you need any questions answered or if you need some support or encouragement I'm here. So ask away or rant away and I'll do my best to help including A-Levels, moving school fot sixth form I'm here so ask away! I took the following subjects and my grades if you are interested... and also help!

Religious Studies (AQA) A*
Physical Education (Edexcel) A*
Core Science (OCR Gateway) A
Business Studies (WJEC) A
History (AQA) B
Spanish (Edexcel) B
English Literature (AQA) B
Statistics (Edexcel) B
Maths (Edexcel) B
Additional Science (OCR Gateway) B
English Language (AQA) C

So ask away! 👍🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi i need help on my writing side for gcse english langauge its wejc
Original post by Tawnyyy
Some of the lower marked questions are similar year to year, but the higher marked questions are always different. E.g. Stem and leaf diagrams are there most years, but it would be the first question, so its not many marks. You'll see what I mean by similar questions when you do a lot of past papers. But dont worry about this too much, the questions are all based off of core knowledge you should know, unlike at A level lol

Ohh ok thank you! :smile:
Original post by SM6

No, I don't think it is - although the concepts may be the same but in different scenarios

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naz123786
Hi i need help on my writing side for gcse english langauge its wejc

which part do you need help with - creative writing? formal writing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just pick out key words that will trigger the other information for example for Science I would put enzymes and then write words down as 'lock and key' mechanism, chemical reactions, speed up reactions (catalysts) and denature when too hot

does that make sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it does make sense so thank you. Would you suggest flashcards with Maths? I am quite unsure if I should make flashcards or just practice questions.
Original post by Tinka99
Yes, it does make sense so thank you. Would you suggest flashcards with Maths? I am quite unsure if I should make flashcards or just practice questions.

Do both - they'll both help just do the formulae's on flash cards though 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest