The Student Room Group

PGCE Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by mooamymoo
Anyone being super keen and sending out their application this week? I'm applying for PGCE PCET English Language and Schools Direct non-salaried secondary English. (There's no SD salaried places for English in the North - so frustrating!) The PCET PGCE is my preference but both the schools I'm applying to have 6th Forms and mention that post-16 education is covered on their courses.

I went to a SCITT event last week and was advised to apply as soon as humanly possible and not worry about too many days of school experience - I'm a career changer and have 4 days so far. The other reasoning for applying so soon is that PCET PGCE bursaries are filled on a first come first served basis.

Anyone else also applying soon with minimal in-school experience?

Hope you're all feeling excited / calm / prepared for applications opening tomorrow!

Hi! Yes, also hopefully submitting my application this week (although it will obviously take longer as my referees will have to fill out their share).

I also only have 5 days worth of work experience but not feeling too anxious about it as I have another week lined up at the end of October. Even still, not all universities ask for 10 days - and even if they do, it's a recommendation as opposed to a requirement. As long as your PS demonstrates how your 4 days were valuable, I don't think you'll have a problem in the slightest. :smile:Wishing you the very best of luck!
Original post by pandor4
Hi! Yes, also hopefully submitting my application this week (although it will obviously take longer as my referees will have to fill out their share).

I also only have 5 days worth of work experience but not feeling too anxious about it as I have another week lined up at the end of October. Even still, not all universities ask for 10 days - and even if they do, it's a recommendation as opposed to a requirement. As long as your PS demonstrates how your 4 days were valuable, I don't think you'll have a problem in the slightest. :smile:Wishing you the very best of luck!

And best of luck to you too! How exciting :smile:
I'm on the application site now; will the referees be notified by UCAS as soon as I save and mark the references section as "complete"?
Because, as I understand it you cannot progress your application until UCAS has received both your primary and secondary reference?Thanks.
Reply 143
Original post by WillJ1991
I'm on the application site now; will the referees be notified by UCAS as soon as I save and mark the references section as "complete"?
Because, as I understand it you cannot progress your application until UCAS has received both your primary and secondary reference?Thanks.

Phoned UCAS to ask this very question! My understanding is that your application will not be sent off until your referees have replied, BUT they will not be notified until you have filled out the rest of the application form and clicked "check form". So, you need to do your personal details/education/work/personal statement etc before your referees are notified as you cannot change any of this once your references are sent off. Once they reply, that's when you pay the check and send off the application. :smile:
Sorry to jump on this, I'm just abit confused about the skills test I thought you couldn't book it until you've actually applied? (I'm not trying to be awkward on your post btw, I'm just really confused about when to book it lol!)

Original post by Anna.Karenina
Just booked my Skills Tests! :s-smilie:
I'm hoping to get my primary application sent off this week! I'm applying for PGCE at man met, manchester uni and SD at a school local to me. I'm really excited but nervous, I don't think my personal statement is the best - I can't work out whether I'm writing what they want me to write or whether I'm not making my reasons clear at all but I've been working on it for so long now so I don't really want to change it! I'm finding it difficult to fill out the 'work experience' section with so little characters too :frown:

How about you? Have you done much revising for the PST ?

Original post by mooamymoo
Anyone being super keen and sending out their application this week? I'm applying for PGCE PCET English Language and Schools Direct non-salaried secondary English. (There's no SD salaried places for English in the North - so frustrating!) The PCET PGCE is my preference but both the schools I'm applying to have 6th Forms and mention that post-16 education is covered on their courses.

I went to a SCITT event last week and was advised to apply as soon as humanly possible and not worry about too many days of school experience - I'm a career changer and have 4 days so far. The other reasoning for applying so soon is that PCET PGCE bursaries are filled on a first come first served basis.

Anyone else also applying soon with minimal in-school experience?

Hope you're all feeling excited / calm / prepared for applications opening tomorrow!
Original post by rhean18
Sorry to jump on this, I'm just abit confused about the skills test I thought you couldn't book it until you've actually applied? (I'm not trying to be awkward on your post btw, I'm just really confused about when to book it lol!)

You can't take them until after you've applied (they will ask for proof of application) but there's nothing stopping you from booking the tests in advance. You can change your booking if you need to do so. For example, if you think you will have submitted your application by 5th November, you may want to book your tests now for after this date.

As for the work experience section, the character limit is there to ensure that you give succinct responses that give an overview of your experience and not everything you have ever done in great detail. It's really easy to overthink things when writing personal statements - the key thing is to ensure that your passion for teaching shows, that it makes sense and is grammatically correct!
(edited 7 years ago)
Ahh okay I see ! Thank you!

I've applied but obviously gotta wait for references! Do you need these before you can take the test or just an email of submission?
Original post by rhean18
Ahh okay I see ! Thank you!

I've applied but obviously gotta wait for references! Do you need these before you can take the test or just an email of submission?

No, you don't have to wait for your references to come through. Your completed application form is one form of evidence you can provide as well as emails from UCAS.
Hi,

I've done my application for PGCE History, just got to wait for references, but I've got next to zero hours classroom observation. But I am working for an education charity this year that goes into schools and does assemblies and things. I just really tried to be enthusiastic on my application and plug myself and any experience with kids I have, even if it wasn't classroom observation. I was told it was better to put your application in early rather than leave it late in order to get classroom observation.

Really hoping that my current experience is enough to get me to interviews and in the meantime get classroom observations!
Hey guys, I need help.

When I did my GCSEs back in 2010, I had no option but to do the BTEC First Certificate in Applied Science and achieved Merit (which is equivalent to a GCSE grade B), and I am now doing my GCSE Science this year, with exams in May 2017 and results out in August 2017.

For the education section in the application, where you put in your English, Maths and Science grades, should I put my Science as pending or should I put in that I have done my BTEC First Certificate in Applied Science? But the only problem with the second option is that BTEC First Certificate is not listed in the qualifications list, it is listed in the section where you put in other GCSE and equivalent qualifications. But what are listed are BTEC National Certificate and BTEC National Diploma, which I assume are not the same as BTEC First Certificate? Or are they?

One of the courses that I want to apply to accepts the BTEC First Science so I am unsure what to do.

Kind regards and thank you.
Hey I had the same issue. As there is no option for this type of BTEC I selected normal GCSE And put my grade as 'other - merit' I'm sure they will have seen loads of people do the same :smile:

Original post by Smileygal
Hey guys, I need help.

When I did my GCSEs back in 2010, I had no option but to do the BTEC First Certificate in Applied Science and achieved Merit (which is equivalent to a GCSE grade B), and I am now doing my GCSE Science this year, with exams in May 2017 and results out in August 2017.

For the education section in the application, where you put in your English, Maths and Science grades, should I put my Science as pending or should I put in that I have done my BTEC First Certificate in Applied Science? But the only problem with the second option is that BTEC First Certificate is not listed in the qualifications list, it is listed in the section where you put in other GCSE and equivalent qualifications. But what are listed are BTEC National Certificate and BTEC National Diploma, which I assume are not the same as BTEC First Certificate? Or are they?

One of the courses that I want to apply to accepts the BTEC First Science so I am unsure what to do.

Kind regards and thank you.
Original post by rhean18
Hey I had the same issue. As there is no option for this type of BTEC I selected normal GCSE And put my grade as 'other - merit' I'm sure they will have seen loads of people do the same :smile:

Thank you! I think I'll email UCAS and ask them haha! I'm probably being extra right now. When are you looking to send your application off?
I've already sent mine! I contacted Ucas but they told me to contact each institution directly- I thought this would really delay my application by the time they'd all got back to me so I just went with my gut haha!

Thank you! I think I'll email UCAS and ask them haha! I'm probably being extra right now. When are you looking to send your application off?
Hey, I'm hoping to study PGCE English next year but haven't yet completed my school experience. I have a day booked with one school on the 31st and an agreement with another school that I can have a recurring weekly slot of classroom observations, however next week is half term so it'll be at least another week before I actually get into a school. The feedback I got from Uni was don't delay your application for a subject like English, however I feel my application will be seriously lacking if I can't talk about any classroom experience. Any thoughts? Is a week really too long to wait?
Hello!!

I'm applying for Biology at The University of York, Pathfinders (Schools direct- York) and White rose (Schools Direct- Harrogate). I'm just waiting on
references then I'm good to go! Fingers crossed everyone :smile:
I asked my uni lecturer and my department head at my school to write my reference ages ago so I am hoping as soon as I send application my references will be attached. last year my references let me down and I missed out as they took too long
Original post by rhean18
I've already sent mine! I contacted Ucas but they told me to contact each institution directly- I thought this would really delay my application by the time they'd all got back to me so I just went with my gut haha!

Haha good thinking. That's what UCAS advised me to do. By the way, are you doing your GCSE Science?
Original post by Lo_walsh
Hello!!

I'm applying for Biology at The University of York, Pathfinders (Schools direct- York) and White rose (Schools Direct- Harrogate). I'm just waiting on
references then I'm good to go! Fingers crossed everyone :smile:

Exact same position as me, for biology at all of the same providers (but 1). How weird!
Nope.. I've been assured that my btec is sufficient. Are you?

Haha good thinking. That's what UCAS advised me to do. By the way, are you doing your GCSE Science?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending