The Student Room Group

Was being in the European union a form of treason?

If you look at the definition of treason it is

the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill or overthrow the sovereign or government.

If you think of it generally while we was in the European Union we had to follow the laws which all EU countries have to follow this took soverignty away. People who want to go back in the EU or primeministers who have signed treaties are guilty of treason. I will give you an example remember terror threat Abu Qatada- our court found that he was a threat to our security and was a supposed terror suspect we wanted to deport him guess what? the EU stopped us through the European Court of Human Rights- this has took sovereignty away.

To my knowledge the following primeministers are guilty

Margaret Rigger Mortis Thatcher
John Major
Tony Blair
Gordon Meltdow Brown
David Pig Porker Cameron

Also remainers who want to go back into the European Union should also be convicted for treason based on wanting someone else to be sovereign over us-very bad quick chop their tongues out.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheBigMan2

the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill or overthrow the sovereign or government.

If you think of it generally while we was in the European Union we had to follow the laws which all EU countries have to follow this took soverignty away. People who want to go back in the EU or primeministers who have signed treaties are guilty of treason. I will give you an example remember terror threat Abu Qatada- our court found that he was a threat to our security and was a supposed terror suspect we wanted to deport him guess what? the EU stopped us through the European Court of Human Rights- this has took sovereignty away.

John Major
Tony Blair
Gordon Meltdow Brown
David Pig Porker Cameron

Also remainers who want to go back into the European Union should also be convicted for treason based on wanting someone else to be sovereign over us-very bad quick chop their tongues out.

A removal of sovereignty is different from a pooling of sovereignty. The UK simply pooled sovereignty in the EU through an Act of Parliament; this is most certainly not comparable to killing or overthrowing our government/sovereignty. #Moooose
I wouldn't say it was treason because the sovereign in the UK is surely the demos/polis, and the UK even had a democratic referendum on our (at least continued) member of the EEC in 75. it's certainly verging on treason to give away more of our sovereignty with treaties like lisbon and maastrict...
(edited 7 years ago)

John Major
Tony Blair
Gordon Meltdow Brown
David Pig Porker Cameron

The ECHR isn't an EU institution. We'll still be a signatory to it after we've left.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Court_of_Human_Rights
Reply 4
Original post by sleepysnooze
I wouldn't say it was treason because the sovereign in the UK is surely the demos/polis, and the UK even had a democratic referendum on our (at least continued) member of the EEC in 75. it's certainly verging on treason to give away more of our sovereignty with treaties like lisbon and maastrict...

Was we even legal members to start with? We was forced in the EU by Ted Heath in 1972, this breached constitutional convention - which means an election is needed due to constitutional change which we did not get until 1975 when the fist referendum was held. Thinking of it in this way we was voting to join something we had already joined.
Reply 5
Original post by JamesN88
The ECHR isn't an EU institution. We'll still be a signatory to it after we've left.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Court_of_Human_Rights

What is in it for us if we are not allowed to deport terror suspects?
What is in it for us if we are not allowed to deport terror suspects?

Human rights.
Was we even legal members to start with? We was forced in the EU by Ted Heath in 1972, this breached constitutional convention - which means an election is needed due to constitutional change which we did not get until 1975 when the fist referendum was held. Thinking of it in this way we was voting to join something we had already joined.

okay then I'll correct myself: it was verging on treason, maybe it *was* treason, but then it wasn't, because there was a referendum on the matter.

John Major
Tony Blair
Gordon Meltdow Brown
David Pig Porker Cameron

How do you account for the fact that the people voted by referendum to join?

All those PMS in general election had policies on remaining in the EU and people voted them in.

You fail to understand you cant overthrow yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
How do you account for the fact that the people voted by referendum to join?

All those PMS in general election had policies on remaining in the EU and people voted them in.

You fail to understand you cant overthrow yourself.

We had a referendum after joining not before therefore we was illgeal members to start with. I think the ecomomic side of the eu is quite good for businesses but bad for social integration and cohesion in communities but thats going off topic
It's not treason because parliamentary statutes brought EU law into British law. And, as we all should know, parliament is sovereign... this means the pooling of sovereignty via the EU is completely legitimate and not in violation of treason laws as it was parliament itself that instigated this.
We had a referendum after joining not before therefore we was illgeal members to start with. I think the ecomomic side of the eu is quite good for businesses but bad for social integration and cohesion in communities but thats going off topic

No, Heath could do it funnily enough becayse he was PM and the government have parliamentary supremacy. There was no requirement for a referendum.
Reply 12
To have constitution change you need a mandate via an election. It would be interesting to see if it was in the tories manifesto. What Heath done would have been like cameron brexiting and holding a referendum for brexit in 2018. This is the same Ted Heath who bribed labour officials for Wilson's election tactics
Don't forget the PMs that signed us up to NATO and the UN - that's treason too...

The UK is a political and economic union just like the EU although none of the EU members are the result of conquest and the EUs heads of state is at least partially elected and not hereditary. Are the Scottish who voted against independence guilty of treason? I would think not- and neither are those who like me voted to remain in the belief that it was in our best interests to do so.

My definition of treason is working against what you believe to be in the best interests of your fellow citizens polis. Boris would be guilty of this in my opinion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Davij038
Don't forget the PMs that signed us up to NATO and the UN - that's treason too...

The UK is a political and economic union just like the EU although none of the EU members are the result of conquest and the EUs heads of state is at least partially elected and not hereditary. Are the Scottish who voted against independence guilty of treason? I would think not- and neither are those who like me voted to remain in the belief that it was in our best interests to do so.

My definition of treason is working against what you believe to be in the best interests of your fellow citizens polis. Boris would be guilty of this in my opinion.

The scotish actually got a vote prior so the people was aware of constitutional change. we joined the EU in1!972 but had no vote until 1975. We have not been soveign for 44 years
The scotish actually got a vote prior so the people was aware of constitutional change. we joined the EU in1!972 but had no vote until 1975. We have not been soveign for 44 years

They had a vote via electing Heath who was unambiguous about what joining the EEC entailed. We have a parliamentary democracy and the plebiscite is a recent addition to the UK.

Of course we have been sovereign the entire time. If we weren't the EU referendum wouldn't have happened.

You are 100% incorrect. You dont understand what treasin is.

You seem unable to understand what parliamentary supremacy is.

There was no requirement for a referendum.
You dont understand what treasin is.

I don't know what treasin is...
Original post by Quamquam123
I don't know what treason is...

Oh dear a typo. How remiss of me.
Reply 19
You are 100% incorrect. You dont understand what treasin is.

You seem unable to understand what parliamentary supremacy is.

There was no requirement for a referendum.

Was it in Ted Heaths manifesto? Thats like saying May can decide to never have a general election again
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending