The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AntoineRoquentin
It's also possible that different schemes are hearing back at different times. For those schemes with a large number of applicants (e.g. generalists), they will have had enough people apply to work out a pass mark. For smaller schemes e.g. operational research and economics, they may wait until the end of the application when they know everyone's mark to work out how many to take forward.

Well, hopefully this is true, as it would make sense for me applying for Social Research.
Original post by PenelopeO
Well, hopefully this is true, as it would make sense for me applying for Social Research.

Having applied for the Generalist role, this makes me worry more.
Hi all,

As there is no example e-tray on the FS website like last year, does anyone know if the exercise involves selecting "least likely" and "most likely" answers and a written part (ie part 2)? I read in last year's forum that there were 2 parts to this E-tray..has anyone done it yet? I've done a practice one but I still don't feel confident!
Original post by catinahat12
I completed the tests at the start of October and it's been two and a half weeks now. It's very frustrating to see those of us that completed the tests early now seem to be being punished by a lack of information, one way or the other, on if we have passed. I phoned this afternoon and after hearing the pre-recorded message about test results taking 'up to a week' (ha.ha.ha.), I spoke to a representative of the fast stream who reiterated that they are marking the tests incrementally and we could still be waiting UNTIL THE END OF NEXT WEEK. Is anyone else who applied early feeling that this is becoming increasingly unfair? :frown:

You think this is bad? Be thankful you didn't apply last year. Some people were waiting for months to find out if they'd passed the FSAC! It is a long process, prepare yourself for that fact now otherwise you're going to be very disappointed.
It's also possible that different schemes are hearing back at different times. For those schemes with a large number of applicants (e.g. generalists), they will have had enough people apply to work out a pass mark. For smaller schemes e.g. operational research and economics, they may wait until the end of the application when they know everyone's mark to work out how many to take forward.

Maybe, but I have no idea. Diplomacy is my first choice, with Parliament and Generalist last so maybe they put me through because I applied to Diplomacy? Since according to this form it isn't exactly the most popular choice (but I was told that it is).
Reply 385
I did my tests on 2nd October and haven't heard anything yet either. Trying to be patient but its frustrating when people who applied today already have results
Original post by ali204
I did my tests on 2nd October and haven't heard anything yet either. Trying to be patient but its frustrating when people who applied today already have results

I think that frustrates me the most, as I thought applying early was better, but actually it seems more rewarding to wait and apply later
Just joining in, after a 6 year hiatus from TSR! Couldn't even remember my old account... I'm applying for the first time this year after I decided to get some work experience first. I've just completed the e-tray test, but I only answered 21 out of 24 questions. No idea if this is a problem as I've never applied for any grad scheme type thing before but thought I'd ask around to know if it is an automatic fail?

For those interested about completing the application tests, I finished the first tests on Sunday the 9th, and heard back that I'd passed yesterday.

Are you saying there would be a different pass mark for economics and generalist?
Well this wouldn't make sense as well because I applied to both economics and generalist and still haven't heard anything.
Reply 389
Original post by Merlivus
Just joining in, after a 6 year hiatus from TSR! Couldn't even remember my old account... I'm applying for the first time this year after I decided to get some work experience first. I've just completed the e-tray test, but I only answered 21 out of 24 questions. No idea if this is a problem as I've never applied for any grad scheme type thing before but thought I'd ask around to know if it is an automatic fail?

For those interested about completing the application tests, I finished the first tests on Sunday the 9th, and heard back that I'd passed yesterday.

Was the the format for all the questions to select between your least and most likely response?
Doing mine shortly.
Original post by BertJay
Was the the format for all the questions to select between your least and most likely response?
Doing mine shortly.

Yep. The practise question is quite helpful too.
Original post by warratz10
Are you saying there would be a different pass mark for economics and generalist?
Well this wouldn't make sense as well because I applied to both economics and generalist and still haven't heard anything.

Different schemes had different pass marks at every stage of the process last year, including the online tests, e-tray and FSAC.
Original post by ali204

Bit bizarre, seems like they're doing it individually. Surely they can just issue automatic blanket updates or something
Just came across this and thought I'd make some of you feel a bit better:

I've just done my E-tray exercise and it went horribly.

I read all the background info, and got onto my second 'email' when my laptop decided it was going to restart and update itself without any warning! By the time it came back up I had 20 minutes left and managed to complete 11 of the tasks!!

I've emailed them to ask if anything can be done but I'm not holding my breath....
If it's any help, because I have reasonable adjustments I have had an email telling me to disregard my deadline and that someone will be in touch within two weeks re: e tray lol. My original deadline was 25th.
Hi, so I applied for like Diplomatic Service, Generalist and Houses of Parliament, and I completed the SJT and BT at the end of September. However, I am yet to hear back, I was just wondering how long it takes to get a response.

Will they tell me if i've failed?

Congrats to all those who have passed :smile:
You applied to exactly the ones so applied to lol. I've since heard back hit others haven't so I honestly can't even begin to say so now.
I also did the tests end of sept but still haven't heard. They did say we should hear by the end of the week.
Original post by Merlivus

I too have been on hiatus...some 12 years, I do believe. Wow.

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about answering all the questions; I applied for this scheme last year, got through to assessment centers and only answered 16 of them! The key is prioritisation; sounds to me like you've managed your time well :smile:
Original post by HumanDancer
I too have been on hiatus...some 12 years, I do believe. Wow.

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about answering all the questions; I applied for this scheme last year, got through to assessment centers and only answered 16 of them! The key is prioritisation; sounds to me like you've managed your time well :smile:

Thanks, that has reassured me a bit. Did you get in last year/are you applying this year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending