The Student Room Group

Can women do on the knee push ups at British army basic training?

as above
I don't know - can they? "women" is quite a broad category too, surely? it's probably the case that some will be able to do it, but a rather extreme minority
Reply 2
Original post by sleepysnooze
I don't know - can they? "women" is quite a broad category too, surely? it's probably the case that some will be able to do it, but a rather extreme minority

i mean are women allowed to do push ups on their knees as opposed to doing full press ups
Reply 3
It certainly has been the case that they've been able to, whether that remains the case is something to be seen.

Mantra of the armed forces is"train hard, fight easy", so learn from your feet as much as is possible.

No, they're asking if women have the option of doing the press ups from the knees, rather than the feet, for the basic requirements.
Original post by bruhjust
i mean are women allowed to do push ups on their knees as opposed to doing full press ups

ohh right
why do you ask though?
ohh right
why do you ask though?

I assume the OP is a female and that's why
Reply 6
I believe they'd allow it in the fitness tests, but you'd probably be expected to start doing proper push-ups during basic (you should have built up enough strength by then to not need the knee technique). You'll probably be given less push-ups than the men though, since you can't be expected to perform them equally.
Original post by Luneth
You'll probably be given less push-ups than the men though, since you can't be expected to perform them equally.

Is this true?

I can tell you know a lot about excercise.
Reply 9
Original post by donutellme
Is this true?

Well it's objectively true that women are naturally in a weaker position to perform push-ups than men. Women and men are divided in barracks and do physical training in groups based out of their barracks (so only-female groups and only-male groups) for the beginning of their training, as far as I know, so it'd make sense to give them less push-ups for discipline (maybe replaced with sit-ups or something).
Original post by Luneth
Well it's objectively true that women are naturally in a weaker position to perform push-ups than men. Women and men are divided in barracks and do physical training in groups based out of their barracks (so only-female groups and only-male groups) for the beginning of their training, as far as I know, so it'd make sense to give them less push-ups for discipline (maybe replaced with sit-ups or something).

I understand that, but when serving together at the front lines, this could cause big issues.
Not sure about the army, but in the RAF joining fitness test (and all subsequent fitness tests after joining), women must perform full push-ups from the feet, not the knees.
Original post by dontcallmesammy
Not sure about the army, but in the RAF joining fitness test (and all subsequent fitness tests after joining), women must perform full push-ups from the feet, not the knees.

But they have a lower target number.

I understand that, but when serving together at the front lines, this could cause big issues.

It is a point of concern. Nobody's quite sure yet how that is going to pan out.
Original post by bruhjust
as above

I do martial arts, and my Sensei said that knee press ups are much harder because, to do them on the knee correctly, you need to bend your arms backwards instead of sideways. Anyone can do knee press ups (if they are either stupid, doing it for a dare, or, like me, do martial arts and want to try something different).
Is this true?

Yes - women naturally have less testosterone than men, which means it takes longer to put on muscle.
Original post by Mactotaur
Yes - women naturally have less testosterone than men, which means it takes longer to put on muscle.

I know that... I'm wondering about the lower standards.
Reply 16
thanks for all your help

Quick Reply

Latest