The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by BobBobson
I just want to go back to primary school golden time.

lool, life is just streeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss in Year 11 and I agree with you, I defo would return back to Primary School if I could.
I'm Fi and I'm taking 11 GCSEs
Maths (AQA)
English Lit & Language (AQA)
Spanish (Edexcel)
Sociology (AQA)
Media (AQA)
Physics (AQA)
Biology (AQA)
Chemistry (AQA)
Geography A (AQA)
RE (Edexcel)
I'm not very confident in any😂
and I can never seem to get an A* in triple science! but I really want to!
Maths is probably my weakest subject (6A in mocks)
There's this event at the hospital for National Pathology Week which I want to go to. The only thing is that it is during the school day so I would miss a day of school. Do you think its worth it to miss a day in year 11?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by patriciaanne
There's this event at the hospital for National Pathology Week which I want to go to. The only thing is that it is during the school day so I would miss a day of school. Do you think its worth it to miss a day in year 11?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I've missed quite a few already and going to miss more (various activities supported by school). Just make sure you know what you missed and catch up on it :smile:
Original post by umar39
Introduce Yourself
Hi, I'm umar39 and I'm going into Year 11 this September. I set really high aims for myself and really enjoy a challenge:biggrin:

I enjoy reading, sports, chess, debating, politics, board games, motor vehicles, technology, coding/designing although it's pretty hard trying to complete all these hobbies/interests regularly.

I take the following GCSE subjects

Spoiler

I think I'm ready for all subjects apart from English, Maths and German. Although I don't struggle with English and Maths the new specifications/grading system is proving hard to get used to. :s-smilie:

My favourite subjects are:

Biology

Business and Economics

Geography

Physics

Chemistry

Maths

I am considering the following subjects to take for A-Level:

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

Maths (possibly)

Business and Economics (possibly)

I would, idealistically, like a career in Medicine :colondollar: so I've realised how important my GCSE's are. I aim to achieve the best grades that I am capable of so that I can pursue this dream.Yet, I'm still quite young so I am still very open to any other careers that involve STEM as these are the subjects/areas that I enjoy the most.

I would like to attend a prestigious Russell Group University (ideally Imperial College London :awesome:).

Spoiler

wait but for a level r u gonna do all 3 sciences.. that isnt a good idea, i am in yr 11 and i am gonna do phy and bio but never do all 3 that is a work load as at a level things gert a lot harder and most teachers recommed to just do 2 as u will never be asked for 3 in any uni course
Original post by Mr Dee Mented
wait but for a level r u gonna do all 3 sciences.. that isnt a good idea, i am in yr 11 and i am gonna do phy and bio but never do all 3 that is a work load as at a level things gert a lot harder and most teachers recommed to just do 2 as u will never be asked for 3 in any uni course

There's nothing wrong with taking 3 sciences if you like the subjects and are willing to work hard. And top uni courses such as medicine at a top uni does require 3 sciences

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="BobBobson;68121866"]There's nothing wrong with taking 3 sciences if you like the subjects and are willing to work hard. And top uni courses such as medicine at a top uni does require 3 sciences

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

I think you only have to do 3 A - levels as all exams will be linear, so taking 3 science will be fine but will be harder as the science's are known to be the hardest subject's.
Hi, my name is Simon :smile:

Im an avid designer and love messing around with computers. Also an aspiring medic in the emergency care field.

I am going to be taking 13 GCSE exams this year:

Spoiler

I can tell the new GCSE exams are going to be tough, but if I keep looking through the SAM's (Sample Assessment Materials) from Edexcel, about mathematics, i'm sure I can crack down on what difficulties will be faced. As for English, i'm slightly worried about the amount I have to memorise for the exam (all the poems + Lord of the Flies + Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde + Romeo and Juliet). Having peace of mind that I can take a re-sit if the stress overtakes me due to the length of the exam (2h 15) is going to help me a lot though.

Computing, Graphics and Biology are my favourites - probably due to the variety. I love problem solving and seeing things work out. As I previously said, a paramedic would be my dream career, but stress is the only negative I mainly see. I have always wanted to try and help people and after looking at statistics from the SWAST, people are being put at unnecessary danger because of the lack of paramedics.

Well.. thats me. Its been really interesting reading the variety in everyone else's qualifications and dream jobs, but I hope I didn't bore you!
We just had our Year 11 into 12 open evening and it made me get even more choices on what to take for A-levels. I know I can get the grade for all of the ones I want, it's just my school's max is four options and I've got six in mind still and I wanna do them all. Eckkkk
hey guyss great thread btw
Original post by StrawberryJan
We just had our Year 11 into 12 open evening and it made me get even more choices on what to take for A-levels. I know I can get the grade for all of the ones I want, it's just my school's max is four options and I've got six in mind still and I wanna do them all. Eckkkk

What options are you thinking about?

6 A-Levels is a lot considering most universities only look at 3 (if that is what you were planning on doing). The stress would be so much I dont think you could bear it. If you really wanted to do it, consider doing AS for 2-3 of your extra options, that way you can drop it if you dont like it.
Reply 912
Original post by QueenTube
hey guyss great thread btw

Don't. 5 is too much, and 6 is ludicrous. Limit yourself to 4. What are your options? Maybe we can give you a few pointers :smile:
Reply 914

Normally with A Levels you take 3 subjects with 4 being the max as if you do more you're more likely to get mediocre grades than grades that you're proud off. I guess if you're struggling to choose the subjects you want to study to perhaps ask your school for advice or something.
Hey, im @coffee_bubbles , and im taking 11 GCSEs:
Maths (Edexcel)
English lit and lang (AQA)
Triple science (AQA)
Ancient greek (OCR)
DT (AQA)
French (Edexcel)
Spanish (Edexcel)
Geography (Edexcel)
to be honest, i dont think im ready for gcses, i still have a lot of homework, and on top of that, a lot of revision, but first, i need to stop procrastinating.
my favourite subject is physics i think, although i dont particularly like the way the lessons are taught. I also love DT, as its the only practical lesson im taking.
Uhh, my dream career, I'd like to do engineering, although im not really sure what type. I was thinking something along the line of mechanical engineering, or maybe computer engineering.
As for hobbies and interests, well, im really interested in physics although i would love to know more. Recently i've started taking more of an interest in chemistry, although i dont completely understand the subject. Hobbies, um, I like listening to music i guess
does anyone have any knowledge/advice about a level media? I wasn't allowed to take it for gcse because of unfortunate option blocks, but I read a textbook and it seems I'd do really well at both the analysis (took sociology and english) and the creation sides (took art and graphics). Both my parents are discouraging me as it's a soft choice and might not help me with unis. I'd be taking it out of four subjects with more academia to balance it out. If this is the wrong thread just let me know and I'll post elsewhere :smile:
Hey, I'm @brownanya122
Doing 10 GCSE's (already completed 2)
Done:
History (OCR B) A*
Geography (Edexcel B) A*
Doing (expected grades)
Maths 8/9 (AQA)
English Lang 7-9 (AQA)
English Lit 8/9 (AQA)
Spanish A/A* (Edexcel)
Biology A/A* (AQA)
Chemistry A/A* (AQA)
Physics A/B (AQA)
Music A/A*
RE A* (AQA)

My favourite subjects are History, English Lit, RE and Biology
A-Levels I'm thinking of taking include History, English Lit, Philosophy & Ethics and Economics
Hobbies reading, writing and music!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kat.e
Hi! I'm doing Romeo and Juliet and the power and conflict section for English literature. I find for creative writing it helps to have a mental checklist of what to include (figurative language, variety of sentence structure etc.) and try to include them all throughout the piece 🙂

I;m also doing power and conflict for English lit! Doing Macbeth fir Shakespeare though
Also, is anyone doing Jane Eyre for the AQA English Lit 19th century novel? If so would love to know your thoughts
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest