The Student Room Group

Maths C3 - Trigonometry... Help??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Philip-flop
Thank you!!! How did you know to multiply top and bottom by cos(x)? :frown:

Thank you. I never would have known to multiply the top and bottom by cos(x)

Whenever you see a fraction on the top/bottom of another fraction then it's often useful to get rid of it as soon as possible by multiplying top and bottom by the denominator.

E.g.

yxyx1\displaystyle \frac{y-x}{\frac{y}{x}-1}

If you were trying to simplify this then you could get rid of yx\frac{y}{x} by multiplying top and bottom of the fraction by xx. This gives

yxyx1=yxx2yx\displaystyle \frac{y-x}{\frac{y}{x}-1} = \frac{yx-x^2}{y-x}
Original post by notnek
Whenever you see a fraction on the top/bottom of another fraction then it's often useful to get rid of it as soon as possible by multiplying top and bottom by the denominator.

E.g.

yxyx1\displaystyle \frac{y-x}{\frac{y}{x}-1}

If you were trying to simplify this then you could get rid of yx\frac{y}{x} by multiplying top and bottom of the fraction by xx. This gives

yxyx1=yxx2yx\displaystyle \frac{y-x}{\frac{y}{x}-1} = \frac{yx-x^2}{y-x}

Thanks! That's definitely helped fill a gap in my knowledge :smile: I really appreciate it!
@notnek but for the next bit after I get...

cosxsinxcosx+sinx \frac{cos x - sinx}{cos x + sinx}

how am I meant to know to do cosxsinxcosx+sinx×cosxsinxcosxsinx \frac{cos x - sinx}{cos x + sinx} \times \frac{cos x - sinx}{cos x - sinx}??
(edited 7 years ago)
@notnek but for the next bit after I get...

cosxsinxcosx+sinx \frac{cos x - sinx}{cos x + sinx}

how am I meant to know to do cosxsinxcosx+sinx×cosxsinxcosxsinx \frac{cos x - sinx}{cos x + sinx} \times \frac{cos x - sinx}{cos x - sinx}??

This comes a bit from practice/experience.

It's similar to why you multiply top and bottom of e.g. 32+3\displaystyle \frac{3}{2+\sqrt{3}} by 232-\sqrt{3} to rationalise it.

The difference of two squares method can sometimes simplify the denominator or put it in another form.

In this case I noticed that (cosx+sinx)(cosxsinx)=cos2sin2x=cos2x(\cos x + \sin x)(\cos x - \sin x) = \cos^2 - \sin^2x = \cos 2x

Using difference of two squares like this in trig can be a bit of a last resort method if you can't get anywhere from standard manipulation.
C3 EXE7C Q6.png
(Exe7C Question 6)

For part (b) how do I know which solutions from...
θ=π24,5π24,13π24,17π24 \theta = \frac{\pi}{24}, \frac{5 \pi}{24}, \frac{13\pi}{24}, \frac{17\pi}{24}

...satisfy the equation...
cos2θsin2θ=12 cos2 \theta - sin2 \theta = \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} ?? <<I'm guessing it has something to do with the square root on the RHS of this equation.

Do I just have to test each "solution" of theta by subbing them into the equation above using my calculator or is there a quicker way?
(edited 7 years ago)
C3 EXE7C Q6.png
(Exe7C Question 6)

For part (b) how do I know which solutions from...
θ=π24,5π24,13π24,17π24 \theta = \frac{\pi}{24}, \frac{5 \pi}{24}, \frac{13\pi}{24}, \frac{17\pi}{24}

...satisfy the equation...
cos2θsin2θ=12 cos2 \theta - sin2 \theta = \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} ??:frown:

Do I just have to test each "solution" of theta by subbing them into the equation above using my calculator or is there a quicker way?

They all satisfy it, it even says "answers" (plural) in the question so you just list them.
Original post by RDKGames
They all satisfy it, it even says "answers" (plural) in the question so you just list them.

But the book says its only...
θ=π24,17π24 \theta = \frac{\pi}{24}, \frac{17\pi}{24}

Which is why I'm confused :frown:
Where the heck do I even start with part (b)i) ?? I'm not sure I even understand what the question is asking :frown: :frown:
C3 EXE7C Q7.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Where the heck do I even start with part (b)i) ?? :frown: :frown:
C3 EXE7C Q7.png

For the first one if tanθ2=t \tan \frac{\theta }{2}=t we have 2t1+t2+2(1t2)1+t2=1 \displaystyle \frac{2t}{1+t^2}+\frac{2(1-t^2)}{1+t^2}=1 .
SO just solve the quadratic equation as you normally would.
(edited 7 years ago)
Where the heck do I even start with part (b)i) ?? I'm not sure I even understand what the question is asking :frown: :frown:
C3 EXE7C Q7.png

get tanθ tan\theta from the previous part, using sinθcosθ\frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}, in terms of tanθ2 tan\frac{\theta}{2}
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by B_9710
For the first one if tanθ2 \tan \frac{\theta }{2} we have 2t1+t2+2(1t2)1+t2=1 \displaystyle \frac{2t}{1+t^2}+\frac{2(1-t^2)}{1+t^2}=1 .
SO just solve the quadratic equation as you normally would.

But how do you get... tanθ2 \tan \frac{\theta }{2} >>> 2t1+t2+2(1t2)1+t2=1 \displaystyle \frac{2t}{1+t^2}+\frac{2(1-t^2)}{1+t^2}=1

from... (b)i) sinθ+2cosθ=1 sin \theta + 2cos \theta = 1 ?? :frown: Sorry if I'm being silly
Original post by NotNotBatman
get tanθ tan\theta from the previous part, using sinθcosθ\frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}, in terms of tanθ2 tan\frac{\theta}{2}

Oh right! It's starting to make sense now. But where have those 't's come from?
Oh right! It's starting to make sense now. But where have those 't's come from?

The above user has shortened it, so t=tanθ2 t = tan\frac{\theta}{2} and has done sinθ+2cosθ=1 sin\theta +2cos\theta = 1 in terms of t.
Original post by NotNotBatman
The above user has shortened it, so t=tanθ2 t = tan\frac{\theta}{2} and has done sinθ+2cosθ=1 sin\theta +2cos\theta = 1 in terms of t.

Thank you so much :smile: :smile: :smile:
For part (a) can someone please explain how this goes from....
2cos2θ2 2cos^2 \frac{\theta}{2}

to this...
=1+cosθ2 = \frac{1+cos \theta}{2} ?? :frown:

C3 EXE7C Q10.png
But the book says its only...
θ=π24,17π24 \theta = \frac{\pi}{24}, \frac{17\pi}{24}

Which is why I'm confused :frown:

Ah yes, looked at the question and it makes sense. The two extra solutions come from the fact that when you square 12\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} you create an answer which can be achieved from squaring 12-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} so two of your solutions satisfy sin(2θ)cos(2θ)=12\sin(2\theta)-\cos(2\theta)=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} which is not what we want.

The easiest way around is to plug the values back through the equation and collect the values you need. You can also work out for which angles cos2θsin2θ\cos2 \theta - \sin2 \theta is positive and consider only the answers which fall into those domains.
For part (a) can someone please explain how this goes from....
2cos2θ2 2cos^2 \frac{\theta}{2}

to this...
=1+cosθ2 = \frac{1+cos \theta}{2} ?? :frown:

C3 EXE7C Q10.png

It doesn't.

cos(θ)=cos2(θ2)sin2(θ2)=2cos2(θ2)1    cos(θ)+1=2cos2(θ2)\cos(\theta)=\cos^2(\frac{\theta}{2})-\sin^2(\frac{\theta}{2})=2\cos^2(\frac{\theta}{2})-1 \implies \cos(\theta)+1=2\cos^2(\frac{ \theta }{2} )
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah yes, looked at the question and it makes sense. The two extra solutions come from the fact that when you square 12\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} you create an answer which can be achieved from squaring 12-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} so two of your solutions satisfy sin(2θ)cos(2θ)=12\sin(2\theta)-\cos(2\theta)=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} which is not what we want.

The easiest way around is to plug the values back through the equation and collect the values you need. You can also work out for which angles cos2θsin2θ\cos2 \theta - \sin2 \theta is positive and consider only the answers which fall into those domains.

Thank you. That makes perfect sense to me now! :smile:

It doesn't.

cos(θ)=cos2(θ2)sin2(θ2)=2cos2(θ2)1    cos(θ)+1=2cos2(θ2)\cos(\theta)=\cos^2(\frac{\theta}{2})-\sin^2(\frac{\theta}{2})=2\cos^2(\frac{\theta}{2})-1 \implies \cos(\theta)+1=2\cos^2(\frac{ \theta }{2} )

Thaaaank you!! I never thought I could re-arrange the double angle formulae in that way!! Seriously appreciate your help :smile:
Can someone help explain from where it says "Occurs when cos(θ22.6)=1cos( \theta - 22.6) = 1 ......" <<Where has the number 1 come from?..
I've worked out the rest of the question and can see that the maximum is 13 but I can't seem to understand the last bit. Why is the smallest value of θ \theta 22.6 ??

C3 - EXA 19.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Can someone help explain from where it says "Occurs when cos(θ22.6)=1cos( \theta - 22.6) = 1 ......" <<Where has the number 1 come from?..
I've worked out the rest of the question and can see that the maximum is 13 but I can't seem to understand the last bit. Why is the smallest value of θ \theta 22.6 ??

The maximum value of sin(ax+b)\sin(ax+b) and cos(ax+b)a,bR\cos(ax+b) \forall a,b\in\mathbb{R} is 1 so when you have your equation in the R-alpha form, you can assume that the trigonometric function is 1 when finding the maximum.

As for the last bit, it's just the case of solving the trig equation and considering the smallest angle which will give the maximum.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest