The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by azizadil1998
Well actually Economics has the second highest in overall degrees after Medicine, Engineering was 3rd/4th but it's skewed by the fact that the definition is quite broad and has all different kinds of courses..

Source? Pretty sure dentistry beats both. Also, there's stats specific to each engineering discipline see http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/courses/choosing-a-course/graduate-starting-salaries/
My source is IFS, well on BBC but yeah.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36028368

Yeah if you look at specific courses, Dentistry definitely beats them. Economics will still rank top 10/top 5 I'm sure. But tbf the data is so skewed you should look at with a pinch of salt anyways.
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
Source? Pretty sure dentistry beats both. Also, there's stats specific to each engineering discipline see http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/courses/choosing-a-course/graduate-starting-salaries/

Yeah Economics has £26.3k average, Medicine with £28k, Dentistry with £30k, so still in the top few.

Yeah if you look at specific courses, Dentistry definitely beats them. Economics will still rank top 10/top 5 I'm sure. But tbf the data is so skewed you should look at with a pinch of salt anyways.

"In addition, higher earners tended to come from wealthier backgrounds, the IFS said."

Indeed, the *best* predictor of future earnings is your parental household earnings.

Daily Telegraph article about it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/secondaryeducation/11798317/No-matter-what-A-levels-you-get-your-parents-wealth-will-still-determine-your-future.html

Original post by SugarCoatedCart

I think mean, median and modal category averages will all be quite different for all disciplines. Lifetime earnings for engineers will probably be lower than economics, exceptions being engineers who've navigated into management positions. Best thing to do to gauge salaries is to look at job advertisements. Senior process engineers are typically around early-30s to late-40s and can be earning anything between 40-70k, which is similar to what you'd earn as an accountant after qualification (assuming 4 years after graduating you'd be around 26-28, maybe?).
Original post by ChemEngGrad
I think mean, median and modal category averages will all be quite different for all disciplines. Lifetime earnings for engineers will probably be lower than economics, exceptions being engineers who've navigated into management positions. Best thing to do to gauge salaries is to look at job advertisements. Senior process engineers are typically around early-30s to late-40s and can be earning anything between 40-70k, which is similar to what you'd earn as an accountant after qualification (assuming 4 years after graduating you'd be around 26-28, maybe?).

Yeah true - but either way it depends on the person so its like case by case basis just because you've done an Economics degree doesn't mean you'll get paid a lot! You might have done it from say East London or Kingston :colondollar: Or you might just be bad at interviews or at the actual job.

And for Economics from what I know a lot of people tend not to actually go into the economic consultancy/advisory sector, they just use the degree to gain skills which help them get jobs in investment banking etc. which is fair enough!
Interview for Manchester in one week😁
Well actually Economics has the second highest in overall degrees after Medicine, Engineering was 3rd/4th but it's skewed by the fact that the definition is quite broad and has all different kinds of courses..

Yet economics is skewed by the relative small number who go in to very well paying jobs...
Original post by methoxymethane
I applied a couple of weeks ago and I've received offers from Bath and Birmingham. I've been invited to interviews at Manchester and Imperial too.

I will be forking out over £100 to get to the University of Manchester for a 15 minute interview.
Should I apply for imperial?

I don't even know that I'd want to go there if I got a place but if I've got the predicted grades should I go for it or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by munchkin1212
Should I apply for imperial?

I don't even know that I'd want to go there if I got a place but if I've got the predicted grades should I go for it or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a love it or hate it place. I got the grades and didn't get an offer, but I was glad to because I didn't like it at interview. It doesn't offer a real strong student experience like other unis. Guess you have to weigh up whether you want to go to uni just to work, or have a good social life too.
It's a love it or hate it place. I got the grades and didn't get an offer, but I was glad to because I didn't like it at interview. It doesn't offer a real strong student experience like other unis. Guess you have to weigh up whether you want to go to uni just to work, or have a good social life too.

That's helpful, thanks!

Can I ask where you are now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
And for Economics from what I know a lot of people tend not to actually go into the economic consultancy/advisory sector, they just use the degree to gain skills which help them get jobs in investment banking etc. which is fair enough!

That is true, more for economics than medicine and engineering I suppose but still a good degree to complete (hopefully that stays true when I start and finish my degree!).
I don't know where to apply for chemical engineering.

I've been predicted A*AA and and I have an A in epq from last year

I got 6As 1 A* and 4Bs and a B in FSMQ at GCSE.

I redid my first year of AS.

Should I apply to Bath or birmingham or is that too risky?
Original post by APersonYo
I don't know where to apply for chemical engineering.

I've been predicted A*AA and and I have an A in epq from last year

I got 6As 1 A* and 4Bs and a B in FSMQ at GCSE.

I redid my first year of AS.

Should I apply to Bath or birmingham or is that too risky?

I don't think it would be too risky. Maybe not both but that's up to you, definitely put one down if you really want to go there. You've got 5 choices and strong stats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by munchkin1212
I don't think it would be too risky. Maybe not both but that's up to you, definitely put one down if you really want to go there. You've got 5 choices and strong stats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not both choices? If you think picking one would be the best option, I may just go with Bath.
Original post by APersonYo
Why not both choices? If you think picking one would be the best option, I may just go with Bath.

I'm just thinking if you want to play it safe and put lower ones down instead then just put one, but there's no reason you couldn't put both. It's up to you - you're having doubts about whether you should apply at all so I was just feeding off that. If you want to go for them then go for it.

I really love Bath and Birmingham, so definitely those are my top 2. If you feel the same then put them both down, you've still got 3 options to put safer choices.

You may as well go for it, you've got nothing to lose!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got an offer from bath yet? I know it's early days but I know a lot of people in my school got offers for NatSci at bath already! They only sent their applications in last week as well.
I applied to:
Cambridge (Nat Sci)
Birmingham
Leeds
Sheffield
Newcastle (was Loughborough but changed last week)

Predicteds are A*A*A for maths, chem, phys respectively.
Got 4As last year but dropped French as I didn't need it for chem eng. Only got an offer off Birmingham so far.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest