The Student Room Group

P orbitals

What are p orbitals??
Reply 1
Atomic orbitals with l=1; l is the angular momentum quantum number.
Erm.... An orbital... One can carry up to 2 electrons, and are in threes so 3x2=6 elcetrons max..... If that makes sense.... :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by My Moon <3
Erm.... An orbital... One can carry up to 2 electrons, and are in 3s so 3x2=6 elcetrons max..... If that makes sense.... :biggrin:

You didn't mean it, but that 3s could be read another way.

"and are in threes" would have been advisable.
Original post by u.sha
What are p orbitals??

Hiya, have you learnt the electron configuration using the different orbitals, (1S2, 2S2,2P6 etc.)?
If not there is S,P,D and F ORBITALS. (These are split up and categorises the elements on the periodic table). The P orbital is the subsection for all of the elements in the NON-metals. D is the Transitional metals, F is Lanthanides and S is the Metals. Hope this helps! If not just send me a message and I'll go through in a bit more detail!!😊
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pigster
You didn't mean it, but that 3s could be read another way.

"and are in threes" would have been advisable.

I thought and thought but couldnt thinif what other way it could be.....:hmmmm2:

Okay then i'll change it, thanks :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by My Moon <3
I thought and thought but couldnt thinif what other way it could be.....:hmmmm2:

Okay then i'll change it, thanks :tongue:

1s 2s 2p 3s
Reply 7
Original post by Callum inglut
Hiya, have you learnt the electron configuration using the different orbitals, (1S2, 2S2,2P6 etc.)?
If not there is S,P,D and F ORBITALS. (These are split up and categorises the elements on the periodic table). The P orbital is the subsection for all of the elements in the NON-metals. D is the Transitional metals, F is Lanthanides and S is the Metals. Hope this helps! If not just send me a message and I'll go through in a bit more detail!!😊

The sections of the periodic table are referred to as "blocks", not orbitals, and the p-block has plenty of semimetals.
Original post by Pigster
1s 2s 2p 3s

Ohhh yes!!! Sorry! :tongue:
Thanks for telling me :h:
Original post by Callum inglut

Thank you very much for that, this somewhat made sense :smile::biggrin:
Original post by u.sha
Thank you very much for that, this somewhat made sense :smile::biggrin:

You're welcome!! Happy to help whenever you need! I have just finished studying this part of chemistry too!!

Quick Reply

Latest