The Student Room Group

Imperial Biochemistry/Management advice needed

Hey everyone! Just applies for 3 years Biochemistry. My question is: I wasn't sure whether I wanted to do Biochemistry with a year in Management or not, so I just applied for Biochemistry which will take 3 years, rather than 4. If I get into Imperial will I be able to do the Management year after I get my BSc or not, since I want to move on to the marketing/management field of pharmaceuticals? Thanks.
I'm not sure how it works at imperial. But your management year would be in your third year and you'd graduate in your forth. I don't think you'd be able to do it after you complete your degree. Definitely to it with a year in management, it will give you more experience and lead to getting a job easier. Take if from a biochemistry graduate who regrets not doing a year in industry !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by strawberyy
I'm not sure how it works at imperial. But your management year would be in your third year and you'd graduate in your forth. I don't think you'd be able to do it after you complete your degree. Definitely to it with a year in management, it will give you more experience and lead to getting a job easier. Take if from a biochemistry graduate who regrets not doing a year in industry !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! The only problem is that I already sent out my UCAS. I sent imperial an email request to change my course. Do you think they'll agree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JellyfishThunder
Hey everyone! Just applies for 3 years Biochemistry. My question is: I wasn't sure whether I wanted to do Biochemistry with a year in Management or not, so I just applied for Biochemistry which will take 3 years, rather than 4. If I get into Imperial will I be able to do the Management year after I get my BSc or not, since I want to move on to the marketing/management field of pharmaceuticals? Thanks.

It's not 'in management', it's 'in industry'. As above, it will be in your third year.

Thanks! The only problem is that I already sent out my UCAS. I sent imperial an email request to change my course. Do you think they'll agree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which way do you want to change?
Original post by ageshallnot
It's not 'in management', it's 'in industry'. As above, it will be in your third year.

There is a course Biochemistry with Management that takes four years to complete. I'm just not sure whether this extra year doing a management course will give me an advantage for employability. I applied for Biochemistry (3 years) want to change Biochemistry with Management (4 years)

Do you think they'll allow me to change as it's fairly early in the admission process and the change isn't that significant.
There is a course Biochemistry with Management that takes four years to complete. I'm just not sure whether this extra year doing a management course will give me an advantage for employability. I applied for Biochemistry (3 years) want to change Biochemistry with Management (4 years)

Do you think they'll allow me to change as it's fairly early in the admission process and the change isn't that significant.

Apologies, my mistake. Given that the entry requirements are the same, you are likely to be ok. I see that there are also options for a year in industry as well as a three-year Biochemistry with Management - take your pick!
Apologies, my mistake. Given that the entry requirements are the same, you are likely to be ok. I see that there are also options for a year in industry as well as a three-year Biochemistry with Management - take your pick!

Do you mind giving me a bit of advice, since no one I know can give me a clear answer. I want to work in pharmaceutical industry, and whilst I'm fascinated by Biochemistry I do not see myself working in the lab for days on end. Meanwhile, I certainly will not work in the full on finance sector, as that isn't my cup of tea. I'm not fully aware of career opportunities in pharmaceuticals, so I see myself doing a combination that involves a little bit of research and management/administrative work. First of all, would this year of Management give me a big advantage or is it more advantageous to have just three years of Biochemistry or Biochem with a year in Industry?

PS Can you give me some advice on career choice?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you mind giving me a bit of advice, since no one I know can give me a clear answer. I want to work in pharmaceutical industry, and whilst I'm fascinated by Biochemistry I do not see myself working in the lab for days on end. Meanwhile, I certainly will not work in the full on finance sector, as that isn't my cup of tea. I'm not fully aware of career opportunities in pharmaceuticals, so I see myself doing a combination that involves a little bit of research and management/administrative work. First of all, would this year of Management give me a big advantage or is it more advantageous to have just three years of Biochemistry or Biochem with a year in Industry?

PS Can you give me some advice on career choice?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know enough about the industry to give specific advice, but I would say that the more skills and experience you have the more employable you become and the higher you are likely to rise.

However, your initial course choice might not matter. Have a look at http://www.imperial.ac.uk/life-sciences/undergraduate/choosing-your-course/. The department states that because the first two years of all these courses are identical, students can change to any course in the same stream (ie Biochemistry) either at registration or during the first two years.

See what they reply they give, but it should be along those lines.
I don't know enough about the industry to give specific advice, but I would say that the more skills and experience you have the more employable you become and the higher you are likely to rise.

However, your initial course choice might not matter. Have a look at http://www.imperial.ac.uk/life-sciences/undergraduate/choosing-your-course/. The department states that because the first two years of all these courses are identical, students can change to any course in the same stream (ie Biochemistry) either at registration or during the first two years.

See what they reply they give, but it should be along those lines.

Thank you so much for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be interested to know what they say in their reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending