The Student Room Group

Exeter A100 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tangled23
thank you! I hope my ukcat doesn't hinder my application. I know they have a banding system but I'm confused as to how it works. My alevel predicted should put me in tier 1. However if tier 1 is oversubscribed do they then look at ukcat? Or is the ukcat only looked at for those in lower bands to cut down the number of applicants called for interview?

Im not sure about that, you should call them up to check. you have great stats where else are you applying
Original post by medicapplicant
Im not sure about that, you should call them up to check. you have great stats where else are you applying

Keele, ucl and imperial. And yourself?
Keele, ucl and imperial. And yourself?

manchester, Newcastle and st.georges
Hey,

GCSE: 1A* 6A 3B 2C
A-Level: BBC B in chem and bio, C in maths
A level: resit predictions: A*AA
UKCAT: 617 Band 1

Really worried because this is a 5 year course, with the fact I'm a retake, i stand no chance. Do have circumstances. what do you think??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by medicapplicant
manchester, Newcastle and st.georges

Best of luck!
Best of luck!

you too
Original post by Yahya1997
Hey,

GCSE: 1A* 6A 3B 2C
A-Level: BBC B in chem and bio, C in maths
A level: resit predictions: A*AA
UKCAT: 617 Band 1

Really worried because this is a 5 year course, with the fact I'm a retake that i stand no chance. Do have circumstances. what do you think??

I'm resitting too :five: Exeter said they don't discriminate against people resitting and will treat their application equally as those who aren't :smile:
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Hey I'm applying to Exeter too :smile: Predicted grades for resits: A*A*A* UKCAT 620 Band 2
Anyone else applying with resits?

Me and we have the same stats! We're in tier 1 and provided we have met the UKCAT cut off we have an interview right?
Original post by HarveySpecter97
Me and we have the same stats! We're in tier 1 and provided we have met the UKCAT cut off we have an interview right?

Yep :smile: I think the cut off last year was about 560 so we should get interviews hopefully
Reply 29
thank you! I hope my ukcat doesn't hinder my application. I know they have a banding system but I'm confused as to how it works. My alevel predicted should put me in tier 1. However if tier 1 is oversubscribed do they then look at ukcat? Or is the ukcat only looked at for those in lower bands to cut down the number of applicants called for interview?

Basically, they have a set number of people they invite for interview. After putting applicants into tiers based on a2 predictions/achieved grades, they start picking people from the top tier for interview. If Tier 1 is oversubscribed then they apply the UKCAT cut off in that tier. Applicants below the cut off and all other applicants in lower tiers would be rejected.

If for example, they have 500 interview places and in tier 1 there's 300 people, and in tier 2 there's 500 people....then they take the 300 in tier 1 and apply the ukcat cut off in tier 2 to pick the top 200 people in that tier to give a total of 500 applicants for interview.

Tier 1: A*A*A*
Tier 2: A*A*A
Tier 3: A*AA

If you have achieved a2 grades then you move up a tier. So achieved A*A*A moves to tier 1.

Does that make sense?
Reply 30
Yep :smile: I think the cut off last year was about 560 so we should get interviews hopefully

Do you know which tier they applied this for? Also do you know if anyone with A*A*A predictions got an interview last year?
Original post by KB_97
Basically, they have a set number of people they invite for interview. After putting applicants into tiers based on a2 predictions/achieved grades, they start picking people from the top tier for interview. If Tier 1 is oversubscribed then they apply the UKCAT cut off in that tier. Applicants below the cut off and all other applicants in lower tiers would be rejected.

If for example, they have 500 interview places and in tier 1 there's 300 people, and in tier 2 there's 500 people....then they take the 300 in tier 1 and apply the ukcat cut off in tier 2 to pick the top 200 people in that tier to give a total of 500 applicants for interview.

If you have achieved a2 grades then you move up a tier. So achieved A*A*A moves to tier 1.

Does that make sense?

so since I'm predicted A*AA, I have the lowest chance of getting an interview. How does the personal statement come into the selection process??
Original post by KB_97
Do you know which tier they applied this for? Also do you know if anyone with A*A*A predictions got an interview last year?

This ukcat cut off was applied for Tier 1 (A*A*A*). I can't remember if any from Tier 2 had interviews but hopefully there will be some with interviews this year! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 33
This ukcat cut off was applied for Tier 1 (A*A*A*). I can't remember if any from Tier 2 had interviews but hopefully there will be some with interviews this year! Good luck! :smile:

Why was the cut off so low specially if it was in tier 1? It seems unusual. Where did you find this figure ?
Original post by KB_97
Why was the cut off so low specially if it was in tier 1? It seems unusual. Where did you find this figure ?

They told me this figure in my rejection email. Actually I just checked and it was 562.5. It's so low because they put people in tiers then rank using ukcat and invite to interview until all the places are full I think. I guess the last person with an interview had 562.5. I've attached the part from the email, hope it helps :smile: image.jpg
Original post by KB_97

Does that make sense?

That makes perfect sense. Thank you very much !
Reply 36
When do they start giving out interview invitations?
They told me this figure in my rejection email. Actually I just checked and it was 562.5. It's so low because they put people in tiers then rank using ukcat and invite to interview until all the places are full I think. I guess the last person with an interview had 562.5. I've attached the part from the email, hope it helps :smile: image.jpg

Would it be possible for you to give me the link for the widen access schools. Thnkyou
Original post by KB_97
When do they start giving out interview invitations?

I got mine a few days ago.
Got rejected, gutted but knew it would happen

Quick Reply

Latest