The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by treen1234
Finding it really hard to start my personal statement for optometry! Any tips anyone pleassee!!!

There is Nursing and Allied Health PS Guidance in my signature below which should be of use to you. It does refer to nursing most of the time for ease of reading, but the advice is still relevant to you. If you have any further questions after reading through that just let me know :smile:
Original post by Foziahhh
+ TSR4LYF Hey i got BDD is AS and am hoping to have predicred grades ABB do you think this will be alright for applying to manchester uni?

That's quite a significant increase and I would be reluctant to recommend that, unless you are you planning on resitting any modules. I would recommend you discuss this individually with your subject teachers with regards to what sort of grade is realistic and if there is anything you can do (study groups, extra work etc.) to help you achieve a higher grade.*
Has anyone sent off their application yet? and if so have you received any offers?!?/what uni's are you applying to?/predicted grades? x x
I sent off my application on the 11th of Oct and got an unconditional offer the day after from City uni with grades of A in biology and BB in chemistry and geography.

Its a good start at least. Hoping to get some other offers or interviews too. Any one know when Manchester interviews are usually held?
Original post by Cupcake500
I sent off my application on the 11th of Oct and got an unconditional offer the day after from City uni with grades of A in biology and BB in chemistry and geography.

Its a good start at least. Hoping to get some other offers or interviews too. Any one know when Manchester interviews are usually held?

That's really good. What other unis have you applied for!? And I think they're held all throughout the year.
Original post by ammaarah01
That's really good. What other unis have you applied for!? And I think they're held all throughout the year.

Hi! Thank you. Ive also applied to Cardiff, Manchester and Anglia Ruskin. Would be really happy if I could get an interview at Manchester as I fell in love with the uni! I think Cardiff might be a long shot but we'll see. Best of luck.
+ TSR4LYF Hey i got BDD is AS and am hoping to have predicred grades ABB do you think this will be alright for applying to manchester uni?

Tbh I think you'll be fine since our college told us that they're unlikely to look at your AS grades due to the reformed subjects. Just make sure your personal statement is really really strong. Good luck!
How competitive is it to get offered a place?

How many application are there for each place?
Hey guys, I just started Optometry at Cardiff last month and I've got to say it's been amazing so far! There are 7 modules: Clinical techniques (ophthalmoscopy, retinoscooy, slit lamp etc...), dispensing, Optics (that's just physics and maths but it's not too difficult. It's just about reflection and refraction of surfaces, vergence of light etc.. I never did physics a levels but it seems alright!) Maths and study skills (that's just pretty basic.. maths is not too difficult! If you've done a level maths, it'll be a walk in the park! It's just trig, logs, simple equations, indices, vectors etc..) then there's from cells to systems (that's just biology; cell membranes, enzymes, different body systems, the brain..) then anatomy and physiology ( this one has a LOT of content. It's all the structured and functions of the eye in a lot of detail. It's not too difficult to understand though but you do have to make sure you keep up with everything and look through your notes regularly!) and last of all there's physiology of vision. (Understanding how we are able to see certain things. This is quite interesting but again a lot of information)
We get 2 hours of clinical practice each week, sometimes we get sessions with the year 2's which is interesting, then we have 2 hours optics practicals every other week, we have dispensing in the lab for 1 hour a week and then the biology practicals every other week! Because this is only the first year, we don't get as much clinical practise as we have to learn the basics first and all the theory behind it!
At Cardiff, we also have the Opsoc (optometry society) which is very active and they organise social events frequently. Not just clubbing but also bowling, skiing.. they have their own netball, and football team and also the choir!! So it's quite nice to get involved in some extra activities with people who are in your course!
I hope you found some of this useful. Sorry I can't tell you that much as I've not even been her for a full semester but I can say that Cardiff is a lovely city. You'll know your way around within a week! If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message! :smile: Good luck with your applications and I hope you all get your Uni offers.
Original post by Fireplace123
How competitive is it to get offered a place?

How many application are there for each place?

On Cardiff's website it says that they have 80 places (approx) and around 450 applicants. I don't know about the other universities but I know a few like Anglia Ruskin did go through clearing this year but you have to be quick to get a place through clearing. Also, you can't have missed the grade by that much. Good luck.
Original post by BubbleLover98
Hey guys, I just started Optometry at Cardiff last month and I've got to say it's been amazing so far! There are 7 modules: Clinical techniques (ophthalmoscopy, retinoscooy, slit lamp etc...), dispensing, Optics (that's just physics and maths but it's not too difficult. It's just about reflection and refraction of surfaces, vergence of light etc.. I never did physics a levels but it seems alright!) Maths and study skills (that's just pretty basic.. maths is not too difficult! If you've done a level maths, it'll be a walk in the park! It's just trig, logs, simple equations, indices, vectors etc..) then there's from cells to systems (that's just biology; cell membranes, enzymes, different body systems, the brain..) then anatomy and physiology ( this one has a LOT of content. It's all the structured and functions of the eye in a lot of detail. It's not too difficult to understand though but you do have to make sure you keep up with everything and look through your notes regularly!) and last of all there's physiology of vision. (Understanding how we are able to see certain things. This is quite interesting but again a lot of information)
We get 2 hours of clinical practice each week, sometimes we get sessions with the year 2's which is interesting, then we have 2 hours optics practicals every other week, we have dispensing in the lab for 1 hour a week and then the biology practicals every other week! Because this is only the first year, we don't get as much clinical practise as we have to learn the basics first and all the theory behind it!
At Cardiff, we also have the Opsoc (optometry society) which is very active and they organise social events frequently. Not just clubbing but also bowling, skiing.. they have their own netball, and football team and also the choir!! So it's quite nice to get involved in some extra activities with people who are in your course!
I hope you found some of this useful. Sorry I can't tell you that much as I've not even been her for a full semester but I can say that Cardiff is a lovely city. You'll know your way around within a week! If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message! :smile: Good luck with your applications and I hope you all get your Uni offers.

Thank you for giving us a detailed information. May I know what grades you got for your AS and Alevel? Thank you. :smile:
[QUOTE=AsianxDon;68088430]Thank you for giving us a detailed information. May I know what grades you got for your AS and Alevel? Thank you. :smile:

You're welcome! And yes, of course! I got ABBB at AS and AAB at A levels :smile: I studied Maths, Biology and History! I dropped Chemistry at AS.. Cardiff are pretty lenient, I think the lowest someone got was 3 B's! It just depends on whether they fill their spaces! I say whichever uni you like just put it as your firm! I didn't think I'd get the grades for Cardiff but I loved it so much in the open day that I just had to otherwise I'd regret it. Honestly, don't worry about these grade requirements! As long as you get BBB, you're guaranteed a place somewhere. I think this year pretty much all of the uni's were in clearing so don't feel you need to put a 'safe' lower ranking uni option as your insurance. :smile:
You're welcome! And yes, of course! I got ABBB at AS and AAB at A levels :smile: I studied Maths, Biology and History! I dropped Chemistry at AS.. Cardiff are pretty lenient, I think the lowest someone got was 3 B's! It just depends on whether they fill their spaces! I say whichever uni you like just put it as your firm! I didn't think I'd get the grades for Cardiff but I loved it so much in the open day that I just had to otherwise I'd regret it. Honestly, don't worry about these grade requirements! As long as you get BBB, you're guaranteed a place somewhere. I think this year pretty much all of the uni's were in clearing so don't feel you need to put a 'safe' lower ranking uni option as your insurance. :smile:

Again, thank you so much for replying! Ur comments and reassurances have been really helpful :biggrin:
I think I'll be applying to Cardiff then. ^^
Reply 73

Hey, yes you can definitely apply for it. If you get selected for interview though, they'll really push for AAB
Reply 74
Original post by Cupcake500

predicted grades or already achieved grades?
Original post by mads2402
predicted grades or already achieved grades?

Achieved grades from August 2016. I had a career change so am on a gap year currently.
Reply 76

Hi! Im currently writing my UCAS personal statement for Optometry! I can't seem to find anywhere that will let me do a few hours of experience so I can talk bout it in my personal statement, I hopefully want to go to Portsmouth.
[QUOTE=Aamena A;68109440]Hi! Im currently writing my UCAS personal statement for Optometry! I can't seem to find anywhere that will let me do a few hours of experience so I can talk bout it in my personal statement, I hopefully want to go to Portsmouth.

Hello, don't worry too much about finding work experience in the opticians. I did some for about 8 days over the summer in Specsavers, it was quite useful but it's definitely not essential. Also, some uni's like optical experience more than others.. I'm not too sure about Portsmouth but since its a new course there, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I know a few people who hadn't done anything either! Just talk about any other work or volunteering you've done and how the skills you learnt will help you in the future! As well as extra curricular activities! It also helps if you're predicted good grades too! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 78
Hi, I am also writing my UCAS personal statement for Optometry. I will be applying to Portsmouth and Plymouth uni. Just wondering have you been to the open day to see Portsmouth university, if so what was it like?

Thanks.
Has anyone had any offers for Optometry? I've applied to Cardiff, Manchester, Glasgow Caledonian, Anglia Ruskin and City University London but haven't heard back yet.

Latest