The Student Room Group

Russia TV (RT) to cease broadcasting in UK? NatWest pulls the plug.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises

More Putin propaganda perhaps? :rolleyes:

Everything reported by RT is propaganda in one way or another; even news that is technically factual is reported in a way that is designed to inflame prejudices and provoke paranoia and conspiracism. And every story that could be deemed technically factual is reported for a reason (because it serves Russia's interests)

It's deeply unfortunate how far RT has sunk their claws into the Western far-right and hard-left. The modern Putin-RT-Wikileaks-Assange-Trump-UKIP-Trot-Fascist nexus is deeply unpleasant, though thankfully the fact they are allying with one another simply makes it easier to hit them all at once with a shotgun blast of truth

@KimKallstrom (thought you might appreciate the formulation in the last sentence)
(edited 7 years ago)
It is the BBC who are the broadcasters of propaganda! RT talks neutrally, my family watch it everyday ( we are Russian bt have lived here for most of our lives). There may be some ******** spoken about, but that is to be expected on any channel. I really disagree that it is a Putin propaganda spreading source though.
RT talks neutral ofc it does.
Where does it get its money? Oh that would be the Russian Government.

That would be the same RT that has had multiiple rulings against them for fabricating evidence and finding them guilty of bias and misleading output covering Syria, the BBC and Ukraine.

Further to this story it appears it was a supply/ service company that was asked to find another banker. the accounts have not been frozen, so it doesnt look like a government order to shut them down. Just find another bank and stop being such drama queens.
Original post by KimKallstrom
RT is complete gutter press and a purveyor of anti-western conspiracy theories of the most lunatic variety. In fact I'm surprised it managed to last this long without censuring from Ofcom. I would be surprised if they didn't make this up completely. If they didn't, however, let's wait and see about the details as to why the account was stopped before jumping to conclusions.

It has been rapped over the knuckles in the past by Ofcom.

The plot has thickened somewhat as it now sounds as if NatWest first said it would close it, then said it wouldn't.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/18/natwest-backs-down-over-threat-to-freeze-russia-todays-bank-acco/

HMG has denied all knowledge.
I'm so happy that Press TV is gone.
Sounds like a loss of free speech would be met with a thunderous applause here
Reply 26
If it's just because of it being a propaganda channel we will soon be struggling for news as pretty much every other news channel will be shut down.
Original post by BibleMan
Sounds like a loss of free speech would be met with a thunderous applause here

Why is it a loss of free speech? At the moment all we know is a bank withdrew banking services from a service company.
Original post by 999tigger
Why is it a loss of free speech? At the moment all we know is a bank withdrew banking services from a service company.

Because if it's happening at the request of the British government, it would be a deliberate move to shut down a critical voice in the media by the state - that's pretty much the definition of an attack on free speech.
Because if it's happening at the request of the British government, it would be a deliberate move to shut down a critical voice in the media by the state - that's pretty much the definition of an attack on free speech.

Again show me the article that shows this to be confirmed. There is simply a big mystery at the moment.

If it was a government action, then its not as though it would go unnoticed.

If RT has evidence of all other banks refusing them banking services, then that would add more credibility. Till you provide better evidence then I think it remains open.
Ownership aside, NatWest is a private entity and is quite entitled to decide which customers it wishes to service or not to service. RT is not in any way entitled to have a commercial arrangement with NatWest.
Original post by 999tigger
Again show me the article that shows this to be confirmed. There is simply a big mystery at the moment.

Well that's the way these things work - operating via security service edicts gives the government secret and unaccountable power and leaves a sense of mystery.

Of course we don't categorically what's happened, but it's better than even money that this has come from HMG.

Prelude to war plans? Feels a bit like the situation before WWI when the Foreign Office started buying up railway timetables in Europe. :eek4:
Well that's the way these things work - operating via security service edicts gives the government secret and unaccountable power and leaves a sense of mystery.

Of course we don't categorically what's happened, but it's better than even money that this has come from HMG.

Prelude to war plans? Feels a bit like the situation before WWI when the Foreign Office started buying up railway timetables in Europe. :eek4:

I'd rather wait until we know more. It should be obvious if suddently all banks refuse to give them banking services. There have been no new articles other thna the one that said the company closed down was a subsidiary service company.

RT havent said yet they have tried and been refused by banks elsewhere.
Interesting article by Matthew Turner in the Independent about this and the way some people are cheering on what appears to be a UK government attack on freedom of the media.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/russia-today-rt-bank-accounts-frozen-uk-england-putin-liberal-twitter-cheering-occupy-wall-street-a7367261.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending