University of Stirling Applicants 2017 Watch

Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
This thread is a general discussion area for anyone applying to the University of Stirling for 2017 entry.

Any questions about life at Stirling are welcomed, as are queries about accommodation, funding etc.

I'm a recent graduate so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have
mintiess
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm applying for economics and politics does anybody know if Stirling is already giving out offers?
TartanGibby
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mintiess)
I'm applying for economics and politics does anybody know if Stirling is already giving out offers?
Hey, I am currently in 1st year studying economics and politics. To answer your question, they might be for unconditionals but when I got my conditional offer it wasn't until the May deadline.
mintiess
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TartanGibby)
Hey, I am currently in 1st year studying economics and politics. To answer your question, they might be for unconditionals but when I got my conditional offer it wasn't until the May deadline.
Oh that's awesome (the fact that you're studying the course, not the late offers haha)! How do you like the course and the whole university so far? I wanted to study economics with international relations but sadly Stirling doesn't offer that course so I decided to apply for econ and politics.. Does the course handle any international stuff?
TartanGibby
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh that's awesome (the fact that you're studying the course, not the late offers haha)! How do you like the course and the whole university so far? I wanted to study economics with international relations but sadly Stirling doesn't offer that course so I decided to apply for econ and politics.. Does the course handle any international stuff?
Firstly to answer your question about the university, the uni is great and I certainly like it, don't like the mess my hall mates make of the kitchen though or the fact the porter knocks on your door until you clean it The wide range of choice for societies is also great

The course is good and interesting so far, there is a lot of reading to do but no-one really bothers with it, we have our first politics essay due tomorrow and it has probably been the hardest thing so far. We also had an economics class test yesterday and the cool thing about economics is if you get an average of 65% across the class tests then you get exempt from the exam at the end of the semester and that applies up until third year.

In regard to international relations, politics (internal) is probably the closet thing to it.

When it comes to third and fourth year you can do international politics modules without actually doing the politics (international) course, the module list should be under the description for the politics course?

If you have anymore questions then I am more than happy to answer them.
mintiess
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Firstly to answer your question about the university, the uni is great and I certainly like it, don't like the mess my hall mates make of the kitchen though or the fact the porter knocks on your door until you clean it The wide range of choice for societies is also great

The course is good and interesting so far, there is a lot of reading to do but no-one really bothers with it, we have our first politics essay due tomorrow and it has probably been the hardest thing so far. We also had an economics class test yesterday and the cool thing about economics is if you get an average of 65% across the class tests then you get exempt from the exam at the end of the semester and that applies up until third year.

In regard to international relations, politics (internal) is probably the closet thing to it.

When it comes to third and fourth year you can do international politics modules without actually doing the politics (international) course, the module list should be under the description for the politics course?

If you have anymore questions then I am more than happy to answer them.
Thank you so so much for your answers! This really helped, the course and uni sound great so maybe if I only get an offer from them we'll meet there next year haha
jmalley1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've applied for History, Sociology and Education!

Anxiously hoping for an interview invite/offer!

Did you like the accomodation? I don't know whether to see if I can get into halls or travel from Glasgow?
TartanGibby
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so so much for your answers! This really helped, the course and uni sound great so maybe if I only get an offer from them we'll meet there next year haha
I applied from S5 to go straight to uni and my conditional offer was ABBB and I got AAAB so I am sure you will be fine.

(Original post by jmalley1)
I've applied for History, Sociology and Education!

Anxiously hoping for an interview invite/offer!

Did you like the accomodation? I don't know whether to see if I can get into halls or travel from Glasgow?
I may be wrong but I didn't think the did interviews for first year education, I thought interviews were in 2nd year although don't hold me to that.

The accommodation is good, I am in Andrew Stewart Halls which is one of the older builds (cheaper as well ), a few problems at the start but all is well now.

I think it is worth applying for uni accommodation as it is one of the easiest ways to meet people, if you end up in with a good crowd that is, there are people that travel but it in my opinion it probably limits societies and events you can get involved in.
jmalley1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I applied from S5 to go straight to uni and my conditional offer was ABBB and I got AAAB so I am sure you will be fine.

I may be wrong but I didn't think the did interviews for first year education, I thought interviews were in 2nd year although don't hold me to that.

The accommodation is good, I am in Andrew Stewart Halls which is one of the older builds (cheaper as well ), a few problems at the start but all is well now.

I think it is worth applying for uni accommodation as it is one of the easiest ways to meet people, if you end up in with a good crowd that is, there are people that travel but it in my opinion it probably limits societies and events you can get involved in.
I left school in June at the end of S5 and I'm taking a gap year to work - I have AAAB and I need an unconditional. Fingers crossed my grades are enough.

I've been worrying about an interview so if you're right that would be great!

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. That makes sense tbh!

Thanks!
sun-flower
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm applying for Social Work! :hello:
cami.w
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm applying for Modern Languages and International Politics! Just got an acknowledgment today with portal info and they said they'll be sending an offer hopefully within the next 5 days.
LL87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've applied for Mental Health Nursing and Stirling is my first choice
han1234678
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have applied for History and Politics at Stirling!! Does anyone know how long Stirling generally takes to give out offers?? good luck everyone
Shadow Hunters
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was really impressed by the student union and study abroad options so I may put Stirling as my first choice.
I have S5 grades AABB so I think I could possibly get an unconditional for history? Not 100% sure.
cami.w
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I recieved an unconditional for International Politics and Languages yesterday, so thrilled!
jmalley1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cami.w)
I recieved an unconditional for International Politics and Languages yesterday, so thrilled!
Are you an international or uk student?
cami.w
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jmalley1)
Are you an international or uk student?
I'm international. Heard nothing for about a month from Stirling, then got an acknowledgment saying they'd respond within five days. They asked for a few documents and then I got the offer
jmalley1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cami.w)
I'm international. Heard nothing for about a month from Stirling, then got an acknowledgment saying they'd respond within five days. They asked for a few documents and then I got the offer
Ah okay! I'm Scottish so in their acknowledgment they said it'll be before the end of March. Such a long wait for me!
Well done on your offer
TartanGibby
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Shadow Hunters)
I was really impressed by the student union and study abroad options so I may put Stirling as my first choice.
I have S5 grades AABB so I think I could possibly get an unconditional for history? Not 100% sure.
On the website, it says for single honors history on first sitting entry requirements for history are ABBB, I have no authority or anything like that to say whether you will get a offer or not but I would say it is likely. When I applied the entry requirements on the website were what the offer was however one thing to take into account is if their is high demand then they may increase entry requirements. So you shall just have to wait and see.

Hope I have been of some help to you.
Shadow Hunters
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
On the website, it says for single honors history on first sitting entry requirements for history are ABBB, I have no authority or anything like that to say whether you will get a offer or not but I would say it is likely. When I applied the entry requirements on the website were what the offer was however one thing to take into account is if their is high demand then they may increase entry requirements. So you shall just have to wait and see.

Hope I have been of some help to you.
Thanks for the reply!
I am often unsure with history courses because a lot of people do apply to them but if it was more competitive I woulda thought they'd increase entry requirements like they do for law. I will indeed wait and see, I haven't sent off my application yet though.
Do you go to Stirling uni? What grades did you apply with?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (53)
25.85%
No (152)
74.15%

Watched Threads