The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Hi all,

Quick question about the e-tray if anyone knows: do they assess the order in which you respond to things? I.e. is the recommended approach to skim through all the emails first and find the most urgent ones to start on? And is credit likely to be given for finishing early?

Thanks!
Original post by jamesallen43
Hi all,

Quick question about the e-tray if anyone knows: do they assess the order in which you respond to things? I.e. is the recommended approach to skim through all the emails first and find the most urgent ones to start on? And is credit likely to be given for finishing early?

Thanks!

Most likely they want to see how well you prioritise. Read the initial info, read through the emails briefly and list them into urgent to time wasters/spam/can be answered later. I doubt you'll get much credit for finishing early unless you finish early and do very well. You have 80 minutes so honestly I'd use at least 60 minutes and take time with it.
Is the stage after the Etray exercise the video interview??
Original post by Merlivus
Thanks, that has reassured me a bit. Did you get in last year/are you applying this year?

I am applying for the European Stream this year. I got past the electronic exercises last year, but I got dreadfully nervous during assessment stage... thought I wasn't 'good enough' and the like. So, rather than getting all down in the dumps about not getting through, I tried seeing it as an opportunity as obviously I was not 'ready'. I have spent the year since then working, building up my technique, self esteem and language skills. Hopefully now is the time! :smile:
Hi everyone, with all the posts about getting results i was just wondering if anyone who did their tests on the 2nd october or earlier had any results at all? Thanks!

P.s a few people have asked so sorry if i missed the answer.. Do you get told if you fail or only if you pass?
If you look back at the entire thread I haven't heard of anyone getting results back who did them before 5th of October. I did mine 2nd also and haven't heard back. It has been suggested that they are working backwards on results but some have said they may be marking in a banding system so we may have been amber banded until they narrow the pass and fail down further.

However, it seems a big coincidence to me that no-one on this thread who did their tests early have heard back
Original post by scar123
If you look back at the entire thread I haven't heard of anyone getting results back who did them before 5th of October. I did mine 2nd also and haven't heard back. It has been suggested that they are working backwards on results but some have said they may be marking in a banding system so we may have been amber banded until they narrow the pass and fail down further.

However, it seems a big coincidence to me that no-one on this thread who did their tests early have heard back

Me and my friend applied on the same day, before 2nd oct and he applied via the disability scheme where you skip the rests and he hasn't heard back too. So that gives me hope that were not Amber banded as how can they Amber band someone who didn't even take the test (or this is what I'm telling myself)
Original post by whyamianadult
Me and my friend applied on the same day, before 2nd oct and he applied via the disability scheme where you skip the rests and he hasn't heard back too. So that gives me hope that were not Amber banded as how can they Amber band someone who didn't even take the test (or this is what I'm telling myself)

Yeah they must be working backwards. Which has annoyed me because you'd think if you completed the tests early you would hear back first!!
Do you need to specify predicted grades etc before taking the tests and e-tray? Was gonna prepare a cv etc before starting the process but if all I have to do is tick a few boxes I think I'll start in a couple of days.
Original post by whyamianadult

Well this gives me hope!

I'm wondering if they are releasing the results in batches, and working backwards; as the people that have got through so far all got their emails on Tuesday, and there has been no other releasing of results, as far as I can tell.
Hi how are everyone's applications going?

I've passed the online tests - very happy they changed this year!

I'm now on to the E-Tray exercise! Has anyone completed this yet, or have any tips?
Original post by HumanDancer
I am applying for the European Stream this year. I got past the electronic exercises last year, but I got dreadfully nervous during assessment stage... thought I wasn't 'good enough' and the like. So, rather than getting all down in the dumps about not getting through, I tried seeing it as an opportunity as obviously I was not 'ready'. I have spent the year since then working, building up my technique, self esteem and language skills. Hopefully now is the time! :smile:

I'm applying for European too! which stage of the process are you at? :smile:
Original post by twister123
Is the stage after the Etray exercise the video interview??

Yes :smile: skype interview
Original post by jamesallen43
Hi all,

Thanks!

Have you completed your E-tray now?

I'd definitely say the key is to prioritise and how carefully you use the given info
Original post by Merlivus
Just joining in, after a 6 year hiatus from TSR! Couldn't even remember my old account... I'm applying for the first time this year after I decided to get some work experience first. I've just completed the e-tray test, but I only answered 21 out of 24 questions. No idea if this is a problem as I've never applied for any grad scheme type thing before but thought I'd ask around to know if it is an automatic fail?

For those interested about completing the application tests, I finished the first tests on Sunday the 9th, and heard back that I'd passed yesterday.

Hey, do you have any advice for the E-Tray? I'm going to complete mine this week.

So you have 24 questions in 80 minutes - do you have to respond Most and Least likely to each question?

Reply 415
Original post by PenelopeO
Well this gives me hope!

I'm wondering if they are releasing the results in batches, and working backwards; as the people that have got through so far all got their emails on Tuesday, and there has been no other releasing of results, as far as I can tell.

That would actually make sense...so they might have worked on like the 5th-18th results for a couple of days to workout the pass mark, releasing them on the 18th and then, as they had set the pass mark, all those that completed it after got their result straightaway. So hopefully they're now working on the results pre 5th that they will hopefully release soon as the 2nd batch. Or we might be amber banded, who knows.
Original post by DannyM25
Do you need to specify predicted grades etc before taking the tests and e-tray? Was gonna prepare a cv etc before starting the process but if all I have to do is tick a few boxes I think I'll start in a couple of days.

I believe they they asked was if I met the grade requirements for my specified scheme. Since it's fairly low compared to many large jobs (2:2 as opposed to a 2:1/tst), they probably want to see who has the competencies first rather than sift through based on grades alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Caravan_Palace
I believe they they asked was if I met the grade requirements for my specified scheme. Since it's fairly low compared to many large jobs (2:2 as opposed to a 2:1/tst), they probably want to see who has the competencies first rather than sift through based on grades alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only time your degree classification comes in to play is when you're initially applying for the FS. It's not looked at again at/after FSAC, etc. Whether you get on to the FS is purely based upon how you perform during the process. The assessors at FSAC know nothing of your background whatsoever.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Acqua
That would actually make sense...so they might have worked on like the 5th-18th results for a couple of days to workout the pass mark, releasing them on the 18th and then, as they had set the pass mark, all those that completed it after got their result straightaway. So hopefully they're now working on the results pre 5th that they will hopefully release soon as the 2nd batch. Or we might be amber banded, who knows.

Yeah hopefully!

It makes me wonder though, if because they changed how they recruit, the initial tests have not sifted as many people as the numerical and verbal tests did.
Perhaps because so many people have passed, they're only letting so many through to the e-tray at a time, possibly due to the sheer amount of Skype interviews that would then need to be done within a week? (if a lot of people passed the e-tray)

Eh, who knows.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 419
Original post by PenelopeO
Yeah hopefully!

It makes me wonder though, if because they changed how they recruit, the initial tests have not sifted as many people as the numerical and verbal tests did.
Perhaps because so many people have passed, they're only letting so many through to the e-tray at a time, possibly due to the sheer amount of Skype interviews that would then need to be done within a week? (if a lot of people passed the e-tray)

Eh, who knows.

That could be it. In any case, having to wait nearly 3 weeks post tests vs those that got the results on the same day is annoying as hell, they should've started in the opposite way. Regardless, the whole process should end in January so it'll be A LOT better than the process in the past (I applied for the internship 2 years ago), so in theory we shouldn't have to wait for too long since there are so many stages and only 2 months left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending