The Student Room Group

Is it harder for older students to get into medicine, I am 23, applying next year

I am 23 and feel old af, though I am passionate about studying medicine, but I decided to work after graduating in order to pay for medical school etc. To medical current medical students, are there many students in the first year who are around 23/24 ?

I feel like Its getting too late.
Reply 1
Have you completed a degree already? Graduate Entry Medicine ages range from 21/22 to 50+ so don't worry about being too old. However it is more competitive than standard entry.
Reply 2
Original post by Marathi
Have you completed a degree already? Graduate Entry Medicine ages range from 21/22 to 50+ so don't worry about being too old. However it is more competitive than standard entry.

Yes, I have a degree. I want to apply for the GEM and standard entry
Reply 3
Original post by Marathi

Yes, I have a degree. I want to apply for the GEM and standard entry
Reply 4
Ok, are you aware that you will only receive tuition fee and maintenance loans for GEM? For 5 year undergrad courses you will only receive maintenance loans (if you meet the criteria ofc).

Aside from this there are various entrance exams for GEM. These are the UKCAT, GAMSAT, and BMAT, you will need to see which universities you wish to apply to/are legible for use.

This is a pretty good guide for GEM, albeit a bit outdated, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide

What was your undergrad in and what classification did you receive?
I'll say around 5-10% of my year were 23+ in first year. It really can vary and no one really cares.
Reply 6
Nobody cares, don't worry.
mate, 23 ain't old...
Reply 8
I was 25 when I applied. It can work in your favour if you incorporate your 'experience' into your personal statement and your interviews. Youre 23, not 45! No problem at all!
Reply 9
Original post by Marathi
Ok, are you aware that you will only receive tuition fee and maintenance loans for GEM? For 5 year undergrad courses you will only receive maintenance loans (if you meet the criteria ofc).

Aside from this there are various entrance exams for GEM. These are the UKCAT, GAMSAT, and BMAT, you will need to see which universities you wish to apply to/are legible for use.

This is a pretty good guide for GEM, albeit a bit outdated, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide

What was your undergrad in and what classification did you receive?

sorry for the late response --> my degree was in biomedical science with a 2:1 classification. How does one receive these loans as i've already taken loans for my undergrad studies.
Original post by tonystark
sorry for the late response --> my degree was in biomedical science with a 2:1 classification. How does one receive these loans as i've already taken loans for my undergrad studies.

You apply for them in the same way as your undergrad degree.
I'll be 25 if I get in this year! At the last open day I went to (Aberdeen, last weekend), they said up to 25 per cent of a year group was made up by graduates and they seemed really enthusiastic about the skills and experiences non-direct school leaver's bring to medical school :smile:.

I would say it can make you stand out a bit if you have particularly good experience or an unusual background could perhaps make you shine that little bit more. You have to remember applicants tend to look similar on paper - good grades, a bit of work ex, volunteering, extra curricular etc - so anything on top of this (i.e. an unusual background) surely can only be a good thing =)

Quick Reply

Latest